BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

jb4 4 sale all over the place!!

you know I was thinking the other day as I searched the for sale threads and noticed how many peeps sell their jb4 setups..
some people swear by em... but theyr always up for sale used??
whats up with that??
      10-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
Level3
1/2 Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 e92 ZCP

Garage List
Everyone moved to MHD
      10-26-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Yeah the new MHD tunes are much better but still void warranty whereas the JB4 still leaves things "untouched".
      10-30-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

JB4 basically takes over the boost control and sends fake boost signals to the DME to keep it happy and prevent it throwing a check engine light. From a technical point of view its kind of hacky but they work and was all the platform had before flash tunes came along. Now with flash tunes available I am amazed why piggybacks are still so popular.

JB4 does not do timing adjustments (one of the most important parameters for tuning) and you will need a backend flash to actually make a JB4 car drive smoothly. Seems kind of redundant getting a backend flash at that point, as the Jb4 will only be used for boost control, which the factory ECU does a better job at doing anyway imo. The only thing I can think of where a Jb4 would be useful is to just use it for port injection or meth injection control on big power builds.

Most people run the JB4's 'autotuning' Map5 feature without a backend flash. What this 'tune' does is increase boost until the engine knocks, the factory ECU then intervenes and pulls timing to stop itself from blowing up. Using this autotuning strategy for tuning also results in very variable power delivery. Does this sound safe to you? If the factory ECU wasnt so great with the closed loop fuelling and very sensitive knock sensors, we would have seen plenty of blown engines.

A flash tune in contrast reprograms the factory ecu to increase boost, timing advance, AFR fuelling, vanos and a ton of different parameters which should be altered when running 100hp+ over stock.

Great thing about the flash tunes these days is they're uploaded with your phone and can easily swap tunes or flash back to stock if needed.
      10-31-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
JB4 basically takes over the boost control and sends fake boost signals to the DME to keep it happy and prevent it throwing a check engine light. From a technical point of view its kind of hacky but they work and was all the platform had before flash tunes came along. Now with flash tunes available I am amazed why piggybacks are still so popular.

JB4 does not do timing adjustments (one of the most important parameters for tuning) and you will need a backend flash to actually make a JB4 car drive smoothly. Seems kind of redundant getting a backend flash at that point, as the Jb4 will only be used for boost control, which the factory ECU does a better job at doing anyway imo. The only thing I can think of where a Jb4 would be useful is to just use it for port injection or meth injection control on big power builds.

Most people run the JB4's 'autotuning' Map5 feature without a backend flash. What this 'tune' does is increase boost until the engine knocks, the factory ECU then intervenes and pulls timing to stop itself from blowing up. Using this autotuning strategy for tuning also results in very variable power delivery. Does this sound safe to you? If the factory ECU wasnt so great with the closed loop fuelling and very sensitive knock sensors, we would have seen plenty of blown engines.

A flash tune in contrast reprograms the factory ecu to increase boost, timing advance, AFR fuelling, vanos and a ton of different parameters which should be altered when running 100hp+ over stock.

Great thing about the flash tunes these days is they're uploaded with your phone and can easily swap tunes or flash back to stock if needed.
vtl... sign me up... u fucking sold me!!!
I have the late ecu so I need to unlock to mhd the fucker.. but that's in the works.. waiting for the bugs to be ironed out in the new software for the n55 late ecu..
thanks for the info