BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Carbon Fiber cosmetic part from China if the quality was good?
Yes if the price is right! 70 63.06%
Maybe, I'd have to see the part first and judge based on that. 34 30.63%
No! China-made parts are junk. 7 6.31%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

06-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #67
Trptguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '87 BMW 325ic, '08 BMW 135i

cheaper front lip and splitters
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #68
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

If you wanna talk about the best/quickest return, especially with high development costs, focus on a couple products that appeal to the most people.

- Aero sideskirts: can be used by any 128i/135i regardless of coupe or vert
- Rear diffusor: MANY people want a cheaper alternative to the BMW Performance. If you could come in at the $400-600 price point you would get a lot of feedback.
- Interior trim: everyone loves this, lots of applications, reasonably simple R&D since you're just copying what's already there.

No offense to the vert people at all, but if you're worried about recouping the upfront money OP, stick to products that appeal to a lot of people (i.e. not vert spoilers).

BTW Thanks for doing this!

AR Catless Downpipes | Berk Full Street Exhaust | HPF FMIC | COBB AP | aFe Magnum Stage 2 | E93 M3 Front Sway Bar & Bushings | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | Hardwired Radar | Eurotek BBS LM | Schmiedmann LCI Blacklines | BMW Performance: Spoiler, Diffuser, Shift Boot, E-Brake
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #69
mzman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E82, 95 M3, 99 MRoad, 88 944TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Hi Guys.

Update time.

My colleague and I found a factory in China that I could use for this project. Things are going good so far. Hopefully within a few weeks I can get some parts to use as prototypes.

I think first off I'm going to try and have them copy stuff that already exists versus designing completely new stuff. For example, I saw there is interest in CF sideskirts. Slek might be doing something with this, but I'd also love to give them a run for their money (no offense slek). I probably would do it in the same design as the BMW Aero/Performance sideskirts. Also, I could get a vert rear spoiler based on the OEM one for much cheaper. Could also do gloss black stuff. Also, I've personally been looking for a good lip for the Aero front bumper. I know there's not a huge market for that, but there aren't many options at all for a front lip on cars with the Aero bumper. Interior trim could be pretty easy too, and I know there's a market, so I'll try and do that at first too. Hoods and trunks I want to do, but I wouldn't be starting off with those (unless they're direct OEM replacements) because I'd have to do design stuff, and as I said, for now I'm going to focus on easier stuff to manufacture as this gets started and kind of builds momentum. If there's fair interest in the simpler stuff, I could expand into more intricate parts.

Any further input from you guys would be awesome too. Anything else you want?

I haven't forgotten about you guys, but as I said, starting something like this takes some time.
I for one would be interested in gloss black parts instead of carbon fiber. As far as what parts, I'll echo what everyone else has said.

Aggressive diffuser
front splitter
bmw performance spoiler (coupe)

I'd be happy with those in gloss black
      06-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #70
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
If you wanna talk about the best/quickest return, especially with high development costs, focus on a couple products that appeal to the most people.

- Aero sideskirts: can be used by any 128i/135i regardless of coupe or vert
- Rear diffusor: MANY people want a cheaper alternative to the BMW Performance. If you could come in at the $400-600 price point you would get a lot of feedback.
- Interior trim: everyone loves this, lots of applications, reasonably simple R&D since you're just copying what's already there.

No offense to the vert people at all, but if you're worried about recouping the upfront money OP, stick to products that appeal to a lot of people (i.e. not vert spoilers).

BTW Thanks for doing this!
+1 there are simply little to no options for side skirts (bmw perf and thats about it) or interior trim (bmw cf and vinyl wrapping). These 2 will be instant hits..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #71
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Coming from the 335 scene I can attest to the fact that parts CAN be much cheaper.

You can get very decent CF Hamann and BMW performance lips for 250. CF CSL trunks that fit great for >700. CF diffusers for 200.

Also, you can get an M3 Front bumper made of PU with OEM fitment (I've verified personaly) with ducts and screens for less then 500 shipped.

A lot of posters here are mentioning things which already exist. There are plenty of aftermarket diffusers / reps. There are at least 2 icarbon Rep lips out there now. There are CF and FG CSL trunks on ebay now.

Why produce a product to compete with them. The things that I think would sell very quickly and don't exist now (at a decent price):

A replica 3D lip in either PU or CF

A replica 1M front bumber in PU
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #72
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
Coming from the 335 scene I can attest to the fact that parts CAN be much cheaper.

You can get very decent CF Hamann and BMW performance lips for 250. CF CSL trunks that fit great for >700. CF diffusers for 200.

Also, you can get an M3 Front bumper made of PU with OEM fitment (I've verified personaly) with ducts and screens for less then 500 shipped.

A lot of posters here are mentioning things which already exist. There are plenty of aftermarket diffusers / reps. There are at least 2 icarbon Rep lips out there now. There are CF and FG CSL trunks on ebay now.

Why produce a product to compete with them. The things that I think would sell very quickly and don't exist now (at a decent price):

A replica 3D lip in either PU or CF

A replica 1M front bumber in PU
I definitely agree with you, but on the topic of diffusors there are really only a couple options. You can go BMW Performance for $1,000+ or iCarbon knockoff for $600-800. People are wary of buying the $400 diffusor from eBay because its been noted on here they don't fit great and the quality is subpar.

If OP came in with a quality diffusor at a reasonable price, I think it would be a big hit even though there are other options available. The aero side skirts or interior trim would be much less competitive though

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LazyBmw View Post
+1 there are simply little to no options for side skirts (bmw perf and thats about it) or interior trim (bmw cf and vinyl wrapping). These 2 will be instant hits..
Yup, I agree.

AR Catless Downpipes | Berk Full Street Exhaust | HPF FMIC | COBB AP | aFe Magnum Stage 2 | E93 M3 Front Sway Bar & Bushings | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | Hardwired Radar | Eurotek BBS LM | Schmiedmann LCI Blacklines | BMW Performance: Spoiler, Diffuser, Shift Boot, E-Brake
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #73
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

id be all over some slek-ish side skirts. id really like something other than mirror caps to tie the front lip and diffuser together.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #74
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

After wrapping my interior with 3m vinyl, I believe cf interior pieces are a huge waste of money. Spend $60 on wrap, do it yourself in an afternoon, and bam.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #75
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
After wrapping my interior with 3m vinyl, I believe cf interior pieces are a huge waste of money. Spend $60 on wrap, do it yourself in an afternoon, and bam.
My interior is the same as yours, and trust me, when you see the real deal you'll realize how much better it is.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #76
phrenetiK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

sideskirts.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #77
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I have a real CF interior which I picked up used for a good price. I couldn't justify the $1000 for a new set. The real CF kit has a completely different effect than a vinyl wrapped interior set. The vinyl wrap looks good, but it looks like vinyl.

Back on topic, as some have noted, Interior Trim, Sideskirts and an aggressive diffuser would sell extremely well. We need a diffuser that is more of an inbetween the revozport and the BMW performance/icarbon.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #78
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
My interior is the same as yours, and trust me, when you see the real deal you'll realize how much better it is.
I've had the real deal several times, and it's not worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #79
Simon_135i
Collecting dust!
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 E82/135i  [0.00]
All I read was post #78 and I agree, it's not worth the money, natural is the best way to go!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #80
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Update #2!

My friend/colleague just got back from china. We should be meeting this weekend. He says he found a few promising locations for production, and has brought home some sample CF pieces. I'll post pictures if I can and keep you all updated!

And thank you guys for all the input and the suggestions. You are awesome! Keep em coming!

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #81
chrisN
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw 125i coupe

Garage List
2010 125i  [8.66]
jizzin!
      06-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #82
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep

Excited about this!

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #83
hyper1
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013, Z4/28

Cf parts

Maybe you should start with something simple.
Like the mirrors covers for the 2010 +

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #84
suprtran
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
Hartge or Bastuck rear diffuser
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 05:10 AM   #85
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksCty135i View Post
Roof spoiler

+1 CF roof spoiler is needed , and possibly a dif style trunk one as well. hartge and ACS is too expensives..

edit:

Add some CF interior bits such as the portion the door release handle is set on.
Maybe even the part that surrounds the radio and A/C... Id like real wet carbon for that stuff in addition to my BMWPerf interior CF..
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors

Last edited by romak47; 06-27-2012 at 05:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #86
Gimlet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by romak47 View Post
+1 CF roof spoiler is needed , and possibly a dif style trunk one as well. hartge and ACS is too expensives..
+2 These would be unique pieces
      06-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #87
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Another update!

UPDATE

So, we had a meeting this past weekend. Sorry it took so long to update you guys, but it looked like the forums were down a couple of days ago, and I've been a bit busy.

We have officially found a viable production site. I have included some pretty cool pictures that were taken on site. As you can see, the carbon fiber is of great quality. The facility already produces carbon fiber race seats, spoilers, bumpers, helmets, exhaust pipes, and more for the automotive market, as well as other things (that I'm not quite sure what they are) for other industries. They are experienced and will definitely suit our needs. There are certainly other companies and factories out in China that have inferior products which are really out to screw you over, but we believe we found the highest quality production site we could use. We hate "eBay quality" parts just as much as anyone else.

I am very excited about this, and we are estimating that by the fall, we can actually have a product. What this product will be, however, is a different matter.

Here's the issue.. in order to produce parts, we need the toolings. A mold is pretty expensive (thousands of dollars) to produce, and I'm not sure if we can even afford to have a mold for more than one product at this point. Maybe we can... or the case may be that we will have to wait until we actually have some revenue from the first mold in order to move on to the next one.

The good news is that a mold can be used for thousands of units... we just really have to be careful in picking a first part that we can actually sell a high enough quantity of in order to afford the next mold/product. Also, we can still get to work designing and engineering new products while the first item begins production, so there isn't a months-long wait to start production on something different. But the matter is... at this point in time, we don't know what the initial product should be, and this is where we need more help from you guys.

So.. if you guys had to choose ONE thing that you want, that nobody else is doing right now (at least to start off with)... what would it be?

Our other option would be to try and find something that works across more models. This wouldn't be ideal, but it would guarantee a bigger customer pool so that the (hopeful) success of that product would allow us to continue with more focused products. Kind of like how Porsche sells lots of Cayennes which help fund what everyone really wants. Okay, not exactly the same, but similar. I haven't done enough research at this point in time to know what could work for this, though.

What do you guys think? What one product would you like most? Can any consensus be reached? Also, what do you guys think of the carbon fiber itself? Good quality for China? Good quality overall? Is everyone still interested, or is this just a pipe dream?

And now, some pictures

Rolls of carbon fiber

Carbon fiber spoiler

Mold for a race seat

Rough molds for bumpers

Carbon fiber helmet

Not sure what these are, but they look nice

Carbon fiber pipes/tubes

Thank you for looking!

Last edited by 1speedbike; 06-27-2012 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #88
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

great update. Like you said, just make one, simple part so you can get enough funds. Start a group buy thread so once you get 10-20 people you know you will be having enough funds for the project.

It could be something as simple as carbon fiber badges for the rear(128,135i), to a carbon fiber license plate.

Or, if you are 100% certain you are ready, you could design something big and make it cheap, like a front lip.

Personally, I think your best bet is probably carbon fiber mirrors for 2010 + models. Apparently nobody makes them.

I have a 2009, but just for reference, chinese CF mirrors for these from ebay are 99 dollars, autotechnik(german) are 150, and BMW performance are like 500 xD.