BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Rear camber

Hi all,

I have thoroughly searched through the forums and it's driving me crazy, but is someone able to confirm for me whether or not I am able to get some negative camber on the rear without any camber plates? I am currently running an Eibach+Koni FSD setup and getting some rubbing on my rears due to the AD08s being so fat, and my car being relatively low.

I know the alignment pin mod up the front can get me some extra camber there, but is there something similar for the rear? This is driving me insane!

Thank you, and help is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
91Kevin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 2011 Subaru STI

Turner Motorsport sells a camber kit for the rear of the 135i that I'm pretty sure will adjust more negatively as well as more positively (some camber kits only go positive to "fix" negative camber that results from lowering) but I am not positive on that. You'd have to call and talk to them. You'd only need that if the camber in the rear is not already adjustable with the setup you have, and I'd take it somewhere that does alignments and ask them this question.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
You can definitely adjust the rear camber without adding anything special. Lowering the car will also add camber. I'm currently running -1.8degrees camber in the rear.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kevin View Post
Turner Motorsport sells a camber kit for the rear of the 135i that I'm pretty sure will adjust more negatively as well as more positively (some camber kits only go positive to "fix" negative camber that results from lowering) but I am not positive on that. You'd have to call and talk to them. You'd only need that if the camber in the rear is not already adjustable with the setup you have, and I'd take it somewhere that does alignments and ask them this question.
Cheers for the heads up on TM camber kit mate, I didn't know they had it! Definitely gonna bookmark that if I need to go down that route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
You can definitely adjust the rear camber without adding anything special. Lowering the car will also add camber. I'm currently running -1.8degrees camber in the rear.
Would this be the same process as the fronts, where you can pull out of the adjustment pin on the struts for extra camber? Thanks for any info you may be able to provide
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
The rear camber has an eccentric adjuster located on the subframe where the lower control arm mounts. The rear toe is just above it. You should have it aligned and set for more camber, don't just turn it. There is no correlation between the position of the eccentric and the amount of camber. You want them even side to side for best handling, regardless of what the number may be. There is a far greater range of adjustment in the rear, about 1 1/2 degrees total if I had to guess. Hope that helps, you shouldn't need any camber kit in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
I think the max you can get without a drop is about -1.1, but I see that eyeman got -1.8. I would go with Velocity Motorcars adjustable control arms and toe link. The reason is, because toe in the rear is very difficult to adjust when the car is dropped without these adjustable arms. The best benefit is that you will be able to adjust camber to -2.5 in the rear!!!

http://www.velocitymotorcars.com/e82...trol-arms.html
      07-13-2011, 01:17 AM   #7
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Rear camber is limited somewhat because the oem toe links are mounted in two rubber bushings, and guess what? They bind as you try to get more camber on the car. The VM rear toe links(back ordered) free them up and allow you to add more camber.

We are at -2 of camber in the rear with the adjustment right in the middle so -3 is easliy attainable, not that you will ever need that much.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:49 AM   #8
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Sorry for the newbie question but will adding the rear m3 bits add more camber? I'm having same issues as the OP but with 265 Michelin PSS'
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 12:52 AM   #9
GuamX1
First Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i, 08 128 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Rear camber is limited somewhat because the oem toe links are mounted in two rubber bushings, and guess what? They bind as you try to get more camber on the car. The VM rear toe links(back ordered) free them up and allow you to add more camber.

We are at -2 of camber in the rear with the adjustment right in the middle so -3 is easliy attainable, not that you will ever need that much.
What are the VM toe links?

2013 BMW X1 * 1973 Clubman GT * 2016 Mazda MX5 * 2000 Honda S2000
2004 BMW 325i Touring * 2009 BMW X5 3.0xdrive
Appreciate 0