BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Robcut1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4GTS

Coggin BMW Ft. Pierce A Pig or a Hog??

Would this dealership be considered a pig getting fat off a markup, or a hog by being unethical?

I had a deposit on a 1M since last October (before they claimed to even had a list) but when I called to find out what was happening with the car, they told me their allocations were gone.

They refunded my deposit telling me it would be impossible to get me a car. I subsequently placed an order with a different dealer for MSRP plus $3500.

I found out 2 days ago through this forum that they suddenly had an available 1M and called one of their other customers out of the blue, asking him if he wanted the car (for a premium).

My objections are obvious:
1) They did not provide me with an allocation even though they had my money.
2) They knew it would cost me an additional $3500 to get a car, even when they had a remedy to correct their "mistake", since I have not yet received (or paid for) my car.

I know there are many people who would like the opportunity to own a 1M at $3500 over, but there are probably just as many who feel that the dealership should have made good on their "mistake" which cost me an additional $3500.

Are they just getting fat using good business practices, or have they operated unethically and deserve worse criticism than other dealers?
Thoughts???

Last edited by Robcut1; 11-21-2011 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

all you can do is place them on the bad dealer list. you are one of many that has had this happen.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
TEAM SLO
Slo'est E90 around
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i gone, 2011 335IX e90 6mt

Sucks this happened to you. Too many other variables that played a part here. Could have been from an honest mistake/overlook up to a more "valuable" customer that wanted a favor.

Not sure of all details, but sounds like you were going to get one at MSRP? Then the stealership realized how much of a demand this car was creating and how much more they could actually charge up and over MSRP and went with it instead of having to tell you that you had to pay more if you wanted it. (other issues then)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcut1 View Post
Would this dealership be considered a pig getting fat off a markup, or a hog by being unethical?

I had a deposit on a 1M since last October (before they claimed to even had a list) but when I called to find out what was happening with the car, they told me their allocations were gone.

They refunded my deposit telling me it would be impossible to get me a car. I subsequently placed an order with a different dealer for MSRP plus $3500.

I found out 2 days ago through this forum that they suddenly had an available 1M and called one of their other customers out of the blue, asking him if he wanted the car (for a premium).

My objections are obvious:
1) They did not provide me with an allocation even though they had my money.
2) They knew it would cost me an additional $3500 to get a car, even when they had a remedy to correct their "mistake", since I have not yet received (or paid for) my car.

I know there are many people who would like the opportunity to own a 1M at $3500 over, but there are probably just as many who feel that the dealership should have made good on their "mistake" which cost me an additional $3500.

Are they just getting fat using good business practices, or have they operated unethically and deserve worse criticism than other dealers?
Thoughts???
If I'm being honest you really don't have much of a leg to stand on here.

For starters, you had a deposit on the next available build queue if one came available, not the next available car. I strongly doubt they guaranteed you a build queue. Also, you have no way to know if there was anyone else ahead of you on that list. Then they refunded your deposit, essentially sending you out of line.

Also, you have no idea how this car became available. Maybe someone backed out? Maybe it was traded from another dealer?

Also, you have no idea where you were on the list, maybe the "out of blue" call was to someone who contacted them before you did?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

My God...a seller's market is an ugly thing to watch indeed...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Did they refund your deposit before or after they called the guy in Palm Beach? I read his post as well, and was stoked to hear you were bringing one to J-town. I live in Jupiter as well and couldn't wait to see your 1m out at PBIRW. Thanks for the heads up about Coggin.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
wkndwrrr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Seems like the whole 1M ordering has been a, pardon my french, sh*t show.
I know that some dealerships around me initially over promised and under delivered.
Personally I have two friends who way back in March were told that all 1M's were spoken for. We were told that they had to tell many customers that there were simply no 1M's left, not even a slight hope as every allocation had someone as back-up in case the original customer decided to back out once the car was here.
Fast forward to the past 2, 3 months. A bunch of "new" people if you will, walked in to inquire and have secured allocations.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

hogs are unethical? wtf?
      11-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
Robcut1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wow, great thread, Thank you everyone who responded so far.
I think SLO 135 is right on. Amnizu is correct since we really do not know where they got the car from. They had a black sold order that I knew of. Anythings possible. Maybe BMW sent them an extra car since they screwed up on my deposit? Braman has been advertising a VO for MSRP plus $7500 for a while now, but so far their car is MIA. Pig Farmer, yes, they were eager to refund the deposit and I would love to show you the car I am getting, after my mods are completed. Sergeremi, the rest of the expression is hogs get slaughtered. My feeling is that any dealer who is unethical beyond what we already know to be the case should be reprimanded in some fashion. I am not saying this dealer is any worse than all the others, just wanted opinions and personal stories.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
Robcut1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

One other quick story for anyone interested. A few years ago, I was able to buy a GT3RS from a dealer up north at MSRP, when the local guy said he couldn't get me one. I drove the car for a month or so, but couldn't use it as a daily driver so decided to get out of it while I could, without losing money. The local dealer saw my ad on eBay, and got angry since he couldn't personally sell me a different car. He actually called Porsche along with the selling dealer and told them i was a wholesaler. The selling dealer then threatened to sue me if I sold the car within 6 months of buying it, telling me Porsche was going to withhold future allocations from them. It took about a month for them to actually acknowledge I wasn't in the car business and "allow" me to sell the car. That deal cost me $5000 since I felt I had to turn down the original high offers. All because of that stupid jealous local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

^^^ What?!! You have every right to sell the car to whomever you want and for whatever price you want as long as there is no international sales that are black/grey market. How did the original dealer know it was you anyway?
      11-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #12
Robcut1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I guess, they put the vin through the DMV.
My point is that the people reading this thread, who are more passionate about special automobiles also have to put up with the perceived "shady" business practices of some dealers. At least we have the ability to voice our concerns and get opinions in a meaningful manor. Coggin did what they legally had to do, make sure they gave me my deposit back before having another car available for sale at a premium. I have no legal recourse. But I can make enthusiasts aware of what happened. My recommendation would be to obtain a list of dealers who sold their vehicles over MSRP. This way we have a better idea of who we would prefer doing business with in the future. I'm sure most dealers sold at least one at MSRP, but what would really stand out are the dealers who only sell vehicles at (or below) MSRP. Of course, i would believe this would only help us, the enthusiast, obtain specialty vehicles in the future, and not effect the dealers in any sense since 99% of their business is probably in "non enthusiast" sales.
Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Manufactures Suggested Retail Price.

Dealers can sell it for whatever the market will bear. It's called capitalism folks.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #14
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Manufactures Suggested Retail Price.

Dealers can sell it for whatever the market will bear. It's called capitalism folks.
Capitalism or opportunism?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #15
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIN M View Post
Capitalism or opportunism?
If you see the dealers as being opportunistic in pricing the car higher then MSRP to capitalize on buyers 'need' to have a 1M then sure...but no one 'needs' a 1M.

Opportunism would be better demonstrated by jacking the price up on snow tires when a local government passes a law making it illegal not to have your vehicle equipped with snow tires in winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #16
TEAM SLO
Slo'est E90 around
United_States
Rep

I have never had a deposit down on a car, but I know that if I did, and they didn't get a car to me, of course they would refund my money. On the other hand, I would expect the dealer to let me know up front where I was in line.

RobCut1 probably wasn't even in line to actually receive one, probably just a back up in case people backed out (if I am reading the details correctly). And/or what I said earlier about a possible friend or long time customer of the dealership.....or even a favor for a friend type thing to get them a 1M.

He got his refund back, but still sucks about the whole situation. If I put a deposit down, I would expect a car.....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #17
Robcut1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

To make it clear, I have had a relationship with Coggin going back 15 years. They have been holding in house a deposit of mine since 2005 originally for an M6 which I did not like when it came in. They agreed to hold my deposit for a future car to be detmined by me at any time, so that I would be first in line. When I contacted them last October in regards to the 1m, I had to speak with the business manager to first locate my deposit. And then confirm with the sales manager that I wanted to be first on the 1m list when and if there was actually going to be a 1m. It was all settled until I called in to see what was going on after production was announced. The dealer I spoke to said it would still be awhile (like 2 months) before they would know anything regarding their allocations. This was in May or June. When I called back to speak to the sales manager, after I heard other dealers were receiving allocations is when they told me they knew nothing about me or my deposit. I could have followed up more persistently but honestly didn't think at the time, it would turn into such a big deal to get the car. Especially since I have been a customer having a history and a longstanding deposit for so long. Not that it would have mattered anyways since it is obvious to me they never intended to sell the car at MSRP to anyone, once the market demanded a premium. Maybe they had another car that went at MSRP early, and they honestly "forgot" about me. That still doesn't make it right that they had a remedy to correct their mistake and did not use it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #18
TEAM SLO
Slo'est E90 around
United_States
Rep

Sucks, but I am sure you will be doing business else where now. Haha, damn, so they have had your deposit for six years??
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #19
rossii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcut1 View Post
One other quick story for anyone interested. A few years ago, I was able to buy a GT3RS from a dealer up north at MSRP, when the local guy said he couldn't get me one. I drove the car for a month or so, but couldn't use it as a daily driver so decided to get out of it while I could, without losing money. The local dealer saw my ad on eBay, and got angry since he couldn't personally sell me a different car. He actually called Porsche along with the selling dealer and told them i was a wholesaler. The selling dealer then threatened to sue me if I sold the car within 6 months of buying it, telling me Porsche was going to withhold future allocations from them. It took about a month for them to actually acknowledge I wasn't in the car business and "allow" me to sell the car. That deal cost me $5000 since I felt I had to turn down the original high offers. All because of that stupid jealous local dealer.
This is complete BS.....I've heard that since Ferrari dealers cant sell cars over MSRP they sell cars to good clients who then drive the car for several months the dealer will then buy the car back at a slight premium and then sell the car for more than MSRP. The client then gets another car and the process continues.
      11-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #20
Robcut1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I do not understand the above post. I sold that car on eBay once the dealer realized I was not in the car business and told me they were sorry and that i could do whatever I wanted. Still lost a bunch of money though.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #21
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
If you see the dealers as being opportunistic in pricing the car higher then MSRP to capitalize on buyers 'need' to have a 1M then sure...but no one 'needs' a 1M.
Excuse me sir but I beg to differ, I don't know about you, but I NEED my 1M
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #22
Robcut1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

We all need our 1m's! Why else put up with all the bullxxx???
Appreciate 0