BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-04-2024, 11:25 AM   #1
rackhenry
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 128, Porsche Cayman

For Those tracking E82 Chassis

Just thinking this morning, as I move forward setting up my car for track, I have reviewed /read/researched most of the info I can find on this forum and others regarding suspension, brakes, disabling BMW nannies, subframe bushings, 1M control arms etc. I think I have the basics covered.

What I am hoping to get from the track guys, anything that I may have missed. Any advice particularly related to the chassis or engine if any with the e82. ( mostly read most of engine issues and the n52 seems robust)

Brakes - Does the 128 really need larger rotors? Most of the tracks I run are not hard braking tracks.
Subframe bushings, trans mount bushings - Do these need to be replaced?
1M control arms- Seems like a great upgrade for front, rear not needed?
2007 Exige - Sold - Double Dang it!!
1990 M3 - Sold - Dang it!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:07 PM   #2
Childish_cambino
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [9.25]
1000% recommend the Whiteline rear subframe bushings.

As for 1M/M3 control arms, I’m not well versed in the technical side of it, but I beleive you can run a little more negative camber with them which won’t hurt for a track setup. I have them on the front, not sure it’s beneficial to put them on the rear.
Appreciate 1
Blau366.50
      03-05-2024, 09:22 AM   #3
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I agree with subframe bushings being essential. They lock down the rear end to keep everything stable and predictable at the track.

If any of your bushings or arms are worn out then you might as well upgrade to the M equivalent when you refresh them. The only M arm I would bypass is the front tension arm, go straight to a monoball rather than the stiffer rubber in the M arm.

Other than that, how much experience do you have tracking cars?

For most things I'd say it's better to get seat time in the car and then change parts out based on what you experience. Different priorities for different driving styles.
Appreciate 2
Brian_10.50
      03-05-2024, 01:05 PM   #4
rackhenry
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
I agree with subframe bushings being essential. They lock down the rear end to keep everything stable and predictable at the track.

If any of your bushings or arms are worn out then you might as well upgrade to the M equivalent when you refresh them. The only M arm I would bypass is the front tension arm, go straight to a monoball rather than the stiffer rubber in the M arm.

For most things I'd say it's better to get seat time in the car and then change parts out based on what you experience. Different priorities for different driving styles.
Thanks for the FYI, been tracking 30 years give or take.. I purchased this car because I miss having a manual trans and love the short wheelbase. previous cars, e30m3, lotus exige, Cayman S. This is a dedicated track car.

Last edited by rackhenry; 03-05-2024 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2024, 01:08 PM   #5
rackhenry
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish_cambino View Post
1000% recommend the Whiteline rear subframe bushings.

As for 1M/M3 control arms, I’m not well versed in the technical side of it, but I beleive you can run a little more negative camber with them which won’t hurt for a track setup. I have them on the front, not sure it’s beneficial to put them on the rear.
Seems like the subframe bushings are really needed. Any comments on stock brake size and calipers? (obviously with racing pads)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 01:19 PM   #6
rackhenry
Private
Rep

Quote:

Curious about the monoball tension arm? recommendation on brand?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 07:32 AM   #7
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Sounds like you have a lot of experience being on track. Ive been running at advanced level for several years, primarily at VIR and CMP.

I found the stock rotors/calipers to be inadequate as I pushed harder and braked deeper. They would just overheat even with track pads and fluid. I eventually installed the F30 front calipers/340mm rotors and so far that has been awesome. Still have stock size rear rotors but with the 42mm piston caliper from the e90.

Once I installed the F30 front brakes it really showed the deficiency in the front tension arms. Under heavy braking I'd get a wiggle in the front end as the rubber deflected. I went with German Auto Solutions front tension arm monoballs and it completely cured the wiggle, much more consistent pedal during braking.

Not sure what tires you're planning to run but it is possible to oil starve the N51/52 with 200TW tires and no aero. An oil pan baffle isn't a bad idea, I tracked mine for 4 years without but finally added one this winter.

I've also found that the N51 consumes a good amount of oil when tracking. So keep an eye on the level throughout the day and plan to top it up.
Appreciate 3
Blau366.50
      03-07-2024, 08:11 AM   #8
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
I eventually installed the F30 front calipers/340mm rotors and so far that has been awesome.
This reminds me that, I think, some (135i, maybe 128i as well?) calipers have the plastic pistons that seem to get fried. Might be a thing to consider regarding the subject of brakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:46 AM   #9
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Those pistons are on the stock 135i calipers. That's a good reason to skip those but I would also avoid those calipers simply due to the fact that they were only used on a single model and don't have the pad selection of more common BMW calipers.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2024, 12:45 PM   #10
rackhenry
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like you have a lot of experience being on track. Ive been running at advanced level for several years, primarily at VIR and CMP.

I found the stock rotors/calipers to be inadequate as I pushed harder and braked deeper. They would just overheat even with track pads and fluid. I eventually installed the F30 front calipers/340mm rotors and so far that has been awesome. Still have stock size rear rotors but with the 42mm piston caliper from the e90.

Once I installed the F30 front brakes it really showed the deficiency in the front tension arms. Under heavy braking I'd get a wiggle in the front end as the rubber deflected. I went with German Auto Solutions front tension arm monoballs and it completely cured the wiggle, much more consistent pedal during braking.

Not sure what tires you're planning to run but it is possible to oil starve the N51/52 with 200TW tires and no aero. An oil pan baffle isn't a bad idea, I tracked mine for 4 years without but finally added one this winter.

I've also found that the N51 consumes a good amount of oil when tracking. So keep an eye on the level throughout the day and plan to top it up.
Hi Spidertri,

Amazing post exactly the info I was looking for.

So looks like I am going to start off by replacing the front brakes with the 4 piston 340mm you noted as well as the 42mm rear.. Not going to bother running the stock rotors at all. Question, did you change master cyl? Did you disable the nannies and enable high perf brake coding?

Im going to replace the 4 arms on the front as well. BTW how are the monoballs lasting, ive had some issues on my other car with monoballs wearing out, getting lose. (IDK could have been bad vendor not sure).

As far as oiling thanks for fyi. I was not aware. Ill look into the baffles. I will start out running 200tw, but only short term. Once the car goes on the trailer after its fully built , 100tw or slicks.

I have a N52 car, does it have teh same oil consuption issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 08:35 AM   #11
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Yeah, I swapped to a 135i master cylinder and did all of the coding. Coding off all the brake stuff in the DSC module was critical for me to have a consistent brake pedal on track.

I've only had the front monoballs on the car for a year now, but no issues so far. BMW used monoballs in various locations on these cars stock and more are used in the M3 arms.

From everyone I've talked to, both the N51 and N52 have oil consumption at the track.

If you're going to run slicks you may even want to look into an accusump system.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 09:37 AM   #12
rackhenry
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I swapped to a 135i master cylinder and did all of the coding. Coding off all the brake stuff in the DSC module was critical for me to have a consistent brake pedal on track.

I've only had the front monoballs on the car for a year now, but no issues so far. BMW used monoballs in various locations on these cars stock and more are used in the M3 arms.

From everyone I've talked to, both the N51 and N52 have oil consumption at the track.

If you're going to run slicks you may even want to look into an accusump system.
Thank you again for all the great info.. Im going to research the oiling issues more!
Appreciate 0