E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New 330 review from CBS Marketwatch

10-01-2005, 08:28 AM   #1
DDTAN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90 ZSP

New 330 review from CBS Marketwatch

DARNESTOWN, Md. (MarketWatch) -- Climb in and come along with us. There's this wonderful back road in rural Maryland full of colorful old trees, beautiful farmland, colonial-era houses, red barns and lots of horses.

Stab the go pedal on this new BMW and experience a pulse-building whoosh of power that also tells your brain that the 330i's engine is among the smoothest dudes you've ever sat behind.

A quick move of the left pedal and the right hand, and you've shifted up as smoothly and easily as buttering bread. Then it's down on the go pedal and speed builds quickly. You back off a bit as you enter a familiar curve -- yet the 330i glides around it so flat and effortlessly that you wonder why you hesitated. Now repeat.

Broad smiles and bright eyes tell you that is one of the best driver's cars on the road today. (See slide slow.)

Now think about how hard it is to build a car such as the 330i, because the business is dog eat dog out there. Imagine you're Acura, for instance, and you've work for years to come up with a car that you believe will challenge the best in class. Long nights are put in, hundreds of gallons of coffee are consumed and zillions of dollars are spent.

Committees finally sign off, the big guy says he likes it and one day the car takes wing. The reviews are grand -- until your rival comes out with his new model and maybe you've been trumped. This isn't, in short, a business for the fainthearted. And if you're BMW and redesigning the most popular car in the lineup, your job just got even harder.

But we're here to tell you that this is the car that the other guys will be comparing themselves to for some time. For power, handling, overall balance and just plain fun, the new 330i's nothing sort of spectacular.

Handling is flat, tire grip is ample for anything but pure nutty driving, the power is smooth and instant, the steering wheel's a refreshing half-size too small, and the instruments are easy to read under all lighting conditions. The brakes are strong and build confidence, the seats lock the driver in place, and noise of all kinds is greatly reduced as of the 2006 model.

My goodness, would we love about, say, five years on the autobahn (any autobahn) in this. Not to mention some old favorite back roads in northern Bavaria.

The 2006 330i also looks good -- a generally clean design with few of the quirks of the 5 or 7. It's about 100 pounds heavier than the 2005, and for all intents and purposes, about the same size (2.2 inches longer, for instance).

Standard equipment included anti-skid and traction controls, front torso side airbags, and tubular side airbags that cover your head. It also had run-flat tires, a tire-pressure monitor and a sunroof.

The front seats were multi-adjustable and long-trip comfortable. But to be blunt about it, there's no room in back for anyone except kids. The outside rear-view mirrors could be bigger, and that's the end of our complaints.

Our test car came with a 3.0-liter six that bats out 225 horsepower but feels like even more. It was matched with a very nice six-speed manual and light clutch that from the first trip up the driveway felt like something we had been driving for years. Look for zero to 60 in the upper-five-second range, and EPA mileage of 20 to 30 miles per gallon.

While the upscale 330i bases at about $36,300, our well-optioned test car bottom-lined at $46,115. That included a sport package that, among other things, beefs up the suspension and ties it to 18-inch wheels for an easy-to-live-with $1,600. We'd pass on the i-drive system (of course) and save two grand.

If you like to drive, and we hope all of you reading this column on a regular basis do, you simply must drive a new three-series Bimmer before they haul your butt off to the big garage in the sky. It's that good, boys and girls! Among sedans, it can't get much better.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
Tater
Hauptgefreiter
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Another reviewer that followed the herd and bad-mouthed iDrive? What a shock.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 08:56 AM   #3
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Quote:
We'd pass on the i-drive system
That counts as bad-mothing these days?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

Did any one notice that said in the artical that it has 225 Horse power not 255??? MM makes me wonder when articals like these come out and have incorrect information how much attention do they deserve as auto journalist.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
DDTAN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90 ZSP

But he did say it felt like more.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 10:30 AM   #6
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater
Another reviewer that followed the herd and bad-mouthed iDrive? What a shock.
###########################################Tater,
I did not read the comment as bashing i-Drive. The reviewer said that he would not pony up the money for something he didn't see as needed. I think he/she pretty well sumarized the thoughts of most long-term BMW fans. I-Drive is an answer to a question that wasn't asked.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 01:32 PM   #7
human
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: honda civic ex

The "225- horsepower" quote is just plain incorrect, and he also claims that the backseats aren't suitable for adults. WTF is he talking about? (I've sat back there myself, and while it's not "ample," I wouldn't call it a kiddie seat unless you're over 6'2").
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 01:40 PM   #8
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL
Did any one notice that said in the artical that it has 225 Horse power not 255??? MM makes me wonder when articals like these come out and have incorrect information how much attention do they deserve as auto journalist.
Yes I did.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 01:41 PM   #9
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by human
The "225- horsepower" quote is just plain incorrect, and he also claims that the backseats aren't suitable for adults. WTF is he talking about? (I've sat back there myself, and while it's not "ample," I wouldn't call it a kiddie seat unless you're over 6'2").
Same here on the back seat.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 02:09 PM   #10
cannonspike22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

i think the journalist thought he was driving the e46 225hp 330i
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 08:23 AM   #11
Tater
Hauptgefreiter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
That counts as bad-mothing these days?
"I'd pass on the iDrive (of course)..."

It smugly implies that he doesn't even need to go into why he would pass on it. It's like saying he wouldn't buy it because it's a piece of crap, but because everyone knows it's a piece of crap, he doesn't need to explain further. If he did NOT mean that, then I'd like to know why he wouldn't get it.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 08:55 AM   #12
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
"I'd pass on the iDrive (of course)..."

It smugly implies that he doesn't even need to go into why he would pass on it. It's like saying he wouldn't buy it because it's a piece of crap, but because everyone knows it's a piece of crap, he doesn't need to explain further. If he did NOT mean that, then I'd like to know why he wouldn't get it.
I don't know if the author was being smug or not. He didn't say anything negative about the iDrive system, only that he wouldn't shell out the extra cash for it. I must agree with him on this. I can't see myself spending near that much money for a Windoze based computer system in my car, but that's just my two cents.
      10-02-2005, 09:54 AM   #13
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

AMEN!!! in my opinion i-Drive is a toy better suited to a mini van than a sport sedan.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 11:02 AM   #14
Tater
Hauptgefreiter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
AMEN!!! in my opinion i-Drive is a toy better suited to a mini van than a sport sedan.
A BMW in and of itself is a toy. I mean, if you just need something with four wheels and an engine that'll reliably get you from point A to point B, a Honda would do nicely, for a lot less money. If anyone wants to accessorize their big toy with a bunch of smaller toy options, I would expect nothing but support from everyone on this forum. That said, if it came down to a choice between ZSP and iDrive, I'd take ZSP in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't disparage anyone for getting iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 01:06 PM   #15
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
1. The i-Drive is great. Those that do not take the time to play with it...will never understand. You are right...its a toy within a toy. And I love it.

2. WTF, I agree about the seats. I have sat there, and there is plenty of room for adults. Maybe not 3 big guys, but 2 should fit without much of a problem.
      10-02-2005, 02:13 PM   #16
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL
The word is 'anyone'. It's one word. Artical is spelled 'article'. It is also customary to use punctuation to separate sentences. The word 'do' in your last run-on sentence has no place. The word journalist should pluralized, as you are impying more than one.

Yeah, you should be criticizing the a-r-t-i-c-l-e. Right.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 03:56 PM   #17
Tater
Hauptgefreiter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
The word is 'anyone'. It's one word. Artical is spelled 'article'. It is also customary to use punctuation to separate sentences. The word 'do' in your last run-on sentence has no place. The word journalist should pluralized, as you are impying more than one.

Yeah, you should be criticizing the a-r-t-i-c-l-e. Right.
That's just mean-spirited. Criticism of grammar, spelling and punctuation is not what this board is about.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 04:57 PM   #18
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Quote:
That's just mean-spirited. Criticism of grammar, spelling and punctuation is not what this board is about.
bUt u no wUt/ dIsboReD wuDShuR bE alotHaRdErtoreed if eVry1 ritEslikedIs
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 05:10 PM   #19
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
lol. Every review about E90 says avoid the i-drive.
I wonder how bad it is.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 06:33 PM   #20
BMW786
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGraphite90

LOL @ visor.

Seems like everyone lately is getting all bent out of shape about spelling and grammar. Check out the "What is the average age of E90 owners?" thread and you'll know what I mean. Does anyone really check over their posts for correctness before posting anyway?

Anyway, I thought the car was a 100 pounds lighter than the 2005 model. I know the engine is lighter. This author obviously didn't check his article for correctness.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 07:20 PM   #21
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW786
LOL @ visor.

Seems like everyone lately is getting all bent out of shape about spelling and grammar. Check out the "What is the average age of E90 owners?" thread and you'll know what I mean. :
That only makes my point for me. These are young college age people or recent grads. Don't they teach the English language anymore?

Normally I grind my teeth quietly to myself, but I'm sorry - when someone is criticizing a WRITER in pigeon English and horrific grammar it's just too ironic to leave alone. At this rate literacy will be non existant in several decades.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 11:37 PM   #22
human
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: honda civic ex

I'll also typically keep quiet on the grammar issue, but I must admit that I agree with visor and LEDZEP.

And yes, some of the comments in the "What is the average age of E90 owners?" thread are pretty funny to read.
Appreciate 0