BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #23
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Just checked...

http://www.petitiononline.com/fixpump/petition.html

Only 340 people have registered!
Yes, but not all of us who have signed have had a failed pump.
I signed it because it is a problem that is more than "just a few".
The petition is just a sign of "there is power in numbers".

OP, I wouldn't change it.
From reading the failed pump threads over the past year, it seems that cars that have had 1 failure are more likely to have another failure, than to have a failure in the first place.
I know that sounds odd, but I'm thinking of a way to say this better, if you don't get what I mean.

Let's try this; out of 10 pump failed cars, that have had the pump replaced, it seems that 50% will have another failed pump within the same mileage interval. Whereas, there may be only a 20% chance of all cars in having an initial pump failure.

It seems that whatever has caused a pump to fail in the first place, simply replacing the pump doesn't fix the actual cause of the pump failure, so there is a much higher chance that a replaced pump car will have another failure, before someone has an initial failure.

I don't know if that clears it up, but I tried.

Also, it does seem that recently, perhaps because of the newest pump, recurring failures are not as common. But, I only get that sense from the number of posts, so my guess is not based on exact numbers.

Overall, I'd say go on your trip and have fun. If you have a failure, make sure you brought all your info to get BMW out to help you and get you back on the road, and use the "trip interruption" portion of your warranty.

Sounds like a fun trip.
Appreciate 0