BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #67
BeamerDreamer
Village Idiot
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
what an idiot I am!; all this time i've been ordering the $1 double cheeseburger thinking that it was the most bang for the buck and now I find out that the salad is actually a better deal.
LOL
Yes, the double cheeseburger is probably the best bang for the buck but doesn't quite fit into the analogy.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #68
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

My first BMW was an E46, 325i. I preferred the 330i and could not afford it. I loved that car and did not have any regrets because the 330 was never a contender because of the price. However, if they were the same price, I would defintely have gone with the 330. :biggrin:

My last car was a 2006 330i and loved having more power. Now I have the 135i and while I doubt I will ever use the top end speed, I still like the extra kick I get from going zero to whatever the speed limit is. That being said, I prefer the 128i over many other cars in the price range that are not in the BMW family and would be happy with it if I could not swing the 135.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #69
Omega Man
Rep
Drives:

Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger!
No Coke. Pepsi. ... Four Pepsi!
Four Pepsi!

/would be great to have a car to comment on but alas, all good things require 4 to 6 weeks delivery
The black and red andrenaline rush has finally made it home from Sebastian Olszewski and the group at Mike Smith Beaumont. Got it right before the big storm hit, as in 36 hours before. So lucky. Anyway, these folks are a great dealership to do business with.
Ordered June 2008
ED July 2008
Stateside delivery September 2008
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #70
benzosnenzos
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i ca$$hmere

1 1/2 to 2 month delivery

i put in the order....09 cashmere silver, black leather, gray poplar wood, sports pack, automatic, hi fi, ipod, bmw assist, comfort access, sirius, and tinted windows and valentine hardwired.....supeeeer happy

navi was too expensive, but i never get lost and i have an iphone with gps....solid sonnn!!!!

cant wait to put 5000 miles on it and then start boosting around town

after the 5000 mile break in

DINAN upgrades harrd!!!

csl wheels
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #71
mkaresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 Lexus GS 400

5000 mile break in? That seems extreme.

As far as I can tell, there's little science behind the typical break-in routine. It's been around forever, and at this point is a matter of "better safe than sorry."

If I'm wrong about this, and someone has some data, I'd truly love to see it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #72
jayce
Private
Rep
Drives:

think about what you get for an additional 5k.
plus, i dont like the impression of the 'cheapest' car in bmw.
if i was firm to buy a 128, i'd rather save some money and buy 328 sedan.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 10:47 AM   #73
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayce View Post
plus, i dont like the impression of the 'cheapest' car in bmw.
if i was firm to buy a 128, i'd rather save some money and buy 328 sedan.
You would buy a 328 but only if you decided the 128 was the one you really wanted? That's a great recipe for never being happy with the choices you make.

Most people aren't car fanatics. They don't follow every car in BMW's line. They can't tell you the difference between a 535, 528, 335, 330, 328, 325, etc - at best they notice 5xx or 3xx but even that's a tossup at times. If you're picking the car you buy based on what these people think you should have bought a 5 or 7 series because 90% of them won't know the difference between a 128 and a 135.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #74
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger!
No Coke. Pepsi. ... Four Pepsi!
Four Pepsi!

/would be great to have a car to comment on but alas, all good things require 4 to 6 weeks delivery

What, no chip?
      10-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #75
j128i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 128i Coupe AW/Black

I got a 128i Coupe auto

We have 1 96 Infiniti G20 auto and 1 2001 Acura MDX auto (with built in GPS). I've drive the G20 and put on 190,000 miles in the past 12 years.
It's time to have a new car (the guy in Infiniti dealer I use for car service told me this fella can still give me 100,000 miles ) and I decided to have a different style after driving Japanise cars for last 20 years. The only other style worth to change for is European cars.
For people, I guess, who never drive European cars before, and those who never drive Japanise cars before, the mindset/thingking are very different based on my experience and what I read online. The drivers who used to Jap cars talk a lot about hassel free, worry free and low maintainance. They will get very frustrated when hearing about frequent computer s/w upgrade on Euro cars or radio not working etc, or Volvo 6-8 week annual vacation (in Volvo dealer). The drivers who used to Euro cars love to talk about fun, supurier handeling, and think some defects are normal for a car or having higher tolorence - in my opinion.

My idea is to have a new style and also try to get a reliable car, hence I chose BMW, 128i Coupe, in particular. I can only drive auto so that's no chioce. I did not order any other options to avoid potential problems. 3er is a bit too big for a daily commute car. The only thing I'm not sure is the winter driving (I was looking an all wheel drive at begining).
But, with Acura MDX which is AWD, I once drove on to separation stripe between roads due to snow on the Super Bowl night. You never know.

I enjoy my 08 128i Coupe on autobahn, rommatic route, storm/sleet night, sunny day or Susten path - the switchback road. I drove 3083 miles in Europe during my ED last month and it had no problem at all. 230 hp is enough for me.:biggrin:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=319392

We'll see what it goes at 30,000, 60,000 and 90,000 miles. At that time, I may have clearer idean on whether or not keeping BMW long term. We kept our Accord for 10 years, G20 now 12 years, MDX 8 years already.
      10-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #76
mkaresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 Lexus GS 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
You would buy a 328 but only if you decided the 128 was the one you really wanted? That's a great recipe for never being happy with the choices you make.

Most people aren't car fanatics. They don't follow every car in BMW's line. They can't tell you the difference between a 535, 528, 335, 330, 328, 325, etc - at best they notice 5xx or 3xx but even that's a tossup at times. If you're picking the car you buy based on what these people think you should have bought a 5 or 7 series because 90% of them won't know the difference between a 128 and a 135.
Very well put. For a number of reasons the 1 isn't the one if you place a priority on others' perceptions. Well, unless the others in question are enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #77
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by j128i View Post
We have 1 96 Infiniti G20 auto and 1 2001 Acura MDX auto (with built in GPS). I've drive the G20 and put on 190,000 miles in the past 12 years.
It's time to have a new car (the guy in Infiniti dealer I use for car service told me this fella can still give me 100,000 miles ) and I decided to have a different style after driving Japanise cars for last 20 years. The only other style worth to change for is European cars.
For people, I guess, who never drive European cars before, and those who never drive Japanise cars before, the mindset/thingking are very different based on my experience and what I read online. The drivers who used to Jap cars talk a lot about hassel free, worry free and low maintainance. They will get very frustrated when hearing about frequent computer s/w upgrade on Euro cars or radio not working etc, or Volvo 6-8 week annual vacation (in Volvo dealer). The drivers who used to Euro cars love to talk about fun, supurier handeling, and think some defects are normal for a car or having higher tolorence - in my opinion.

My idea is to have a new style and also try to get a reliable car, hence I chose BMW, 128i Coupe, in particular. I can only drive auto so that's no chioce. I did not order any other options to avoid potential problems. 3er is a bit too big for a daily commute car. The only thing I'm not sure is the winter driving (I was looking an all wheel drive at begining).
But, with Acura MDX which is AWD, I once drove on to separation stripe between roads due to snow on the Super Bowl night. You never know.

I enjoy my 08 128i Coupe on autobahn, rommatic route, storm/sleet night, sunny day or Susten path - the switchback road. I drove 3083 miles in Europe during my ED last month and it had no problem at all. 230 hp is enough for me.:biggrin:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=319392

We'll see what it goes at 30,000, 60,000 and 90,000 miles. At that time, I may have clearer idean on whether or not keeping BMW long term. We kept our Accord for 10 years, G20 now 12 years, MDX 8 years already.
My suggestions:
1. Join BMWCCA and read the wonderful Roundel magazine. Email Mike Miller for any tech questions you have, and ask him for the old school BMW maintenance. By maintaining the car well (of course, pay some extra), you'll get satisfactory miles well into 200K.
2. Look for good independent BMW shops by checking bimrs.org, if you don't do it yourself.
3. Get winter wheels/tires from tirerack.com
4. Get Bilstein, H&R or Eibach sport shocks/springs when it's time to replace the stock ones.