E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Does anyone have a spare tire kit?

02-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #1
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Does anyone have a spare tire kit?

I'm really considering trashing the RFTs that'll be on my 330xi to get non-RFTs. I do not want an M Mobility Kit, as it may not be able to repair a flat in all situations. I remember seeing a spare tire kit from BavAuto, but then someone said it doesn't fit on the E90. Does anyone have a spare tire kit? If so, it would be nice if you could post a link with details/ordering info. Thanks.
      02-26-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Why would get trash perfectly new tires?

You don´t even know how they ride yet.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

I know of several members who have the kit that comes with a sparetire, tire bag, jack, and lug wrench; all in a convienent case that can be strapped in your trunk. I cannot remember the name of the company that sells them, but I'm sure someone else knows.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira
Why would get trash perfectly new tires?

You don´t even know how they ride yet.
From the opinions of many, I know that they are not up to the standard of non RFT all-season tires. The summer RFTs on the ZSP 330i still perform well, but the all-seasons do not. Every review on TireRack for the Bridgesone EL42s (which all happen to be E90 owners) suck.

Also, I have heard that RFTs are not repairable, and that would mean I'd have to purchase a new tire everytime I get a flat. Being that these tires are not in-stock in most tire places (meaning I'd have to order them), and that they won't run flat forever, and that my commute is about 80 miles a day, I don't really feel secure with RFTs.

On the side, I've had the good fortune of getting 3 flats on the same tire in the past month in my current car, and it wasn't repairable the 3rd time. (In the meantime, I was riding on my spare.) Luckily I had road hazard coverage at Sears, and I got a new tire. Hearing how RFTs aren't repairable, this just adds to my intention to get rid of them.
      02-26-2006, 05:32 PM   #5
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmde786
From the opinions of many, I know that they are not up to the standard of non RFT all-season tires. The summer RFTs on the ZSP 330i still perform well, but the all-seasons do not. Every review on TireRack for the Bridgesone EL42s (which all happen to be E90 owners) suck.

Also, I have heard that RFTs are not repairable, and that would mean I'd have to purchase a new tire everytime I get a flat. Being that these tires are not in-stock in most tire places (meaning I'd have to order them), and that they won't run flat forever, and that my commute is about 80 miles a day, I don't really feel secure with RFTs.

On the side, I've had the good fortune of getting 3 flats on the same tire in the past month in my current car, and it wasn't repairable the 3rd time. (In the meantime, I was riding on my spare.) Luckily I had road hazard coverage at Sears, and I got a new tire. Hearing how RFTs aren't repairable, this just adds to my intention to get rid of them.

First, I didn´t know which tires you are getting. I am very happy with the 18" performance tires. But that notwithstanding, they ARE repairable. A certified RF shop can fix them (as long as it is not the sidewall of course).

You might want to purchase wheel/tire insurance. I got a great deal from Calgary BMW (valid in U.S. and Canada) on this.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2006, 06:07 PM   #6
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

the performance tires are the crappy ones,

what's the difference between a good all season and a bad one, all season tires all suck anyways
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2006, 06:24 PM   #7
Jean330xi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
the performance tires are the crappy ones,

what's the difference between a good all season and a bad one, all season tires all suck anyways
Well, that's an authoritative view - NOT. Any possible attempt at expressing an opinion is diminished almost completely by the schoolyard language and way you express yourself.

If you tell us your own personal experience with the 18" performance tires that come on the 330i and 330xi as options, then maybe we'll listen more.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2006, 06:30 PM   #8
ward
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean330xi
Well, that's an authoritative view - NOT. Any possible attempt at expressing an opinion is diminished almost completely by the schoolyard language and way you express yourself.

If you tell us your own personal experience with the 18" performance tires that come on the 330i and 330xi as options, then maybe we'll listen more.
anyone who actually drives hard knows that all season tires are a compromise that are not as good as summer tires in the dry and not as good as winter tires in the snow.

we drive BMW's here, we didn't compromise on vehicles so why settle for a compromise on tires.

Then again, if you don't care about tires or never corner anywhere near the limits you probably wouldn't be able to tell if your car had winter tires or summer tires on it anyways.......
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2006, 07:27 PM   #9
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
anyone who actually drives hard knows that all season tires are a compromise that are not as good as summer tires in the dry and not as good as winter tires in the snow.

we drive BMW's here, we didn't compromise on vehicles so why settle for a compromise on tires.

Then again, if you don't care about tires or never corner anywhere near the limits you probably wouldn't be able to tell if your car had winter tires or summer tires on it anyways.......
I know that summer tires are better, but I don't have time to change wheels/tires, otherwise I would've just bought a 330i.

Going by your statement that all-seasons suck, RFT all-seasons suck more. So being that I do take corners and care about driving, I want to get rid of the RFTs.

I'd appreciate it if someone could just answer my damn question. I don't need to be told the basics of driving and what makes a car perform well, all of which I know very well, otherwise I wouldn't be buying a BMW in the first place. Sorry to sound harsh, but it pisses me off that people can't get answers quickly on this forum; they have to listen to some condescending person fill the forum up with unnecessary comments and personal attacks.

A direct answer to my question would be appreciated. If you don't have one, don't post. Thanks.
      02-26-2006, 07:43 PM   #10
ward
Major General
Rep

why don't you go to www.tirerack.com and read some reviews?

I have no idea how you come to a conclusion that since I don't like AS tires that somehow RFT's must be worse.

Someone who appreciates the value of a toyota camry doesn't seem like the kind of person who would throw 4 perfectly good tires in the trash.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
why don't you go to www.tirerack.com and read some reviews?

I have no idea how you come to a conclusion that since I don't like AS tires that somehow RFT's must be worse.

Someone who appreciates the value of a toyota camry doesn't seem like the kind of person who would throw 4 perfectly good tires in the trash.
If you read my earlier posts, I did read reviews on tirerack.com and they were all bad for AS RFTs that come with the E90. Matter of fact, the reviews are by E90 owners.

I don't want to throw the tires away, but I don't have a choice with BMW giving me no option other than RFTs that have unsatisfactory performance (in terms of AS tires). Also, I'm the kind of person that thinks through to the worst possible situation. If you see my earlier posts, I got 3 flats in the past month. All I can think of is me getting a flat, ordering a tire, driving one day (because the RFT won't last forever), and then being stranded without a spare. But that's my secondary concern.

I wasn't planning on throwing away the tires. Then I went on tirerack and saw reviews saying how, since the sidewalls are stiff, the tires lack grip and are not particularly safe in snow. Not one, but 5 or 6, all E90 owners, who all said they're going to get non-RFT tires. What's that supposed to make me think?
      02-26-2006, 08:18 PM   #12
ward
Major General
Rep

are you going to head up to the snow a bunch?

I'm not familiar with winter conditions in Long Island, but really all the RFT tires seem to get poor reviews, and when mine are worn out I'll be getting standard tires too but I don't think any tires BMW will set us up with are going to be so bad as to require immediate replacement
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2006, 08:30 PM   #13
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep

Quote:

I'd appreciate it if someone could just answer my damn question. I don't need to be told the basics of driving and what makes a car perform well, all of which I know very well, otherwise I wouldn't be buying a BMW in the first place. Sorry to sound harsh, but it pisses me off that people can't get answers quickly on this forum; they have to listen to some condescending person fill the forum up with unnecessary comments and personal attacks.
Last time I looked, this was a discussion forum, not a place where someone poses a question and is entitled to a quick answer.

So yes, your comment does sound harsh.

People here posted their views, something that, on a public discussion forum, is encouraged. Sometimes they come off a little juvenile ("these tires suck" is a good example) but usually not.

Some useful information was exchanged here. For example, you posted that runflats are not repairable, and I posted a correction to this misinformation. Hopefully, people who read this will walk away now knowing that they don't have to throw out a RF every time it is flat.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2006, 08:34 PM   #14
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
are you going to head up to the snow a bunch?

I'm not familiar with winter conditions in Long Island, but really all the RFT tires seem to get poor reviews, and when mine are worn out I'll be getting standard tires too but I don't think any tires BMW will set us up with are going to be so bad as to require immediate replacement
Yeah, I guess. I guess I'll run them down over the upcoming spring and summer, and then replace them prior to next winter.

There isn't snow often in Long Island in winter, but when it does snow, it can be rough. This year has been quiet, except for the storm a few weeks ago. But a few years back it snowed quite often, relatively speaking. It's not like Buffalo, NY or anything.

I just don't want mediocre tires to ruin my driving experience by squealing easily and losing grip. I know all-seasons aren't the best, but there are good ones and bad ones, as there are good and bad summer tires. I currently have BF Goodrich Traction T/As on my Camry, and they grip pretty well, very satisfied with them. Accordingly, they have superior reviews on Tirerack. So seeing all negative reviews for the AS RFTs doesn't really inspire confidence. And they're not just "they're not that great" reviews, they're like "I hate these, I want out now" reviews. Maybe some of you on the forum with AS RFTs can tell me otherwise.

But going back to my original question, when I do replace the RFTs, I want a spare tire kit. So I was wondering where I could get one.
      02-26-2006, 08:42 PM   #15
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Last time I looked, this was a discussion forum, not a place where someone poses a question and is entitled to a quick answer.

So yes, your comment does sound harsh.

People here posted their views, something that, on a public discussion forum, is encouraged. Sometimes they come off a little juvenile ("these tires suck" is a good example) but usually not.

Some useful information was exchanged here. For example, you posted that runflats are not repairable, and I posted a correction to this misinformation. Hopefully, people who read this will walk away now knowing that they don't have to throw out a RF every time it is flat.
Well, what you said was helpful. What I don't need to hear is that "all-seasons suck" and "if you buy all-seasons, you don't care about driving, you're not a proper BMW driver, etc." That's not helpful in anyway and doesn't encourage on-topic discussion.

I understand it's a discussion forum and I sort of blew my top because I've observed how many threads do not have helpful discussion, but rather personal attacks and detrimental behavior, and in the end, the original question isn't answered. So it just got to me. Sorry.
      02-26-2006, 08:49 PM   #16
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Well, what you said was helpful. What I don't need to hear is that "all-seasons suck" and "if you buy all-seasons, you don't care about driving, you're not a proper BMW driver, etc." That's not helpful in anyway and doesn't encourage on-topic discussion.

I understand it's a discussion forum and I sort of blew my top because I've observed how many threads do not have helpful discussion, but rather personal attacks and detrimental behavior, and in the end, the original question isn't answered. So it just got to me. Sorry.
No worries. I was a bit annoyed by the "all season suck" and the other comments as well - and someone got there before me so I didn´t want to add fuel to the fire.

Thanks for this reply by the way. I appreciate it.

I´m writing an article on RF tire technology so I am reading as much as I can on customer experiences with them (besides my own experiences).

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2006, 08:59 PM   #17
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
I'm really considering trashing the RFTs that'll be on my 330xi to get non-RFTs. I do not want an M Mobility Kit, as it may not be able to repair a flat in all situations. I remember seeing a spare tire kit from BavAuto, but then someone said it doesn't fit on the E90. Does anyone have a spare tire kit? If so, it would be nice if you could post a link with details/ordering info. Thanks.
heres what you need after you trash yur RFT

http://leatherz.com/Merchant2/mercha...egory_Code=E46

it works on e90s

plus get yurself a jackkit

from circle BMW
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2006, 09:07 PM   #18
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais

it works on e90s

from circle BMW
Are you sure it fits? That's the kit that was on BavAuto also, but hayzar22 said it doesn't fit, posted in the following thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9571
      02-26-2006, 09:11 PM   #19
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep

Quote:

it works on e90s

from circle BMW
Are you sure iit works on the E90?

Because from its design, it does not look like it will fit over the brakes.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2006, 09:44 PM   #20
jflecha
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 06 330i

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
Quote:

If this works on the E90, why dont they mention it on the website, do you have it and did you make sure it fits?

I ask because I would like to get if it does work, there have been other runflat threads and no one ever mentioned it.
      02-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #21
jflecha
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 06 330i

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
Quote:

I called Leatherz this morning and the guy I spoke to initialy said the Space Saver Spare Tire Kit works on the E90. Then I asked if he was sure, he's not sure and wants to mount it on an E90 and make sure, he said it does clear M3 brakes though.

The 162's are going back on soon so I can wait till next winter before I get it, by then he'll know for sure weather it will work on the E90.

If it does work, the peace of mind will be worth the trunk space and the cost.
      02-27-2006, 02:07 PM   #22
canuck2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '015 F15 35ixDrive

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
1988 325ix  [0.00]
Quote:

I´m writing an article on RF tire technology so I am reading as much as I can on customer experiences with them (besides my own experiences).
JSpira - this may have been covered before but I'd be interested to know what you thought of the R&T AS RF review article :

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=2810
Appreciate 0