BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Convertible top replacement - seals and metal parts?

Hi,

My top was replaced on my 2011 135i because of inoperable defroster wires. They did the following:

So a question now... Is a "top" replacement actually the outer top, or the inner (headliner) fabric as well? I assume that all the metal and hydraulics are left alone, ditto for the seals, is this correct?

The reason I ask is that when I was looking closely at the job, I see two points on the metal frame where there is a touch/rub point on some of the inner fabric at a very bottom/lowest point when folded up. Not sure if this is a misalignment or if this was a permanent issue or what. One way or another I want to be sure that further damage doesn't occur, and that if it is new, that it is repaired while still under warranty...

It also strikes me that there is more wind noise from the rear right now. Seems silent on my side, just back right. But if the seals and metal parts were left alone, not sure how this could be the case (might be my imagination).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
My top was replaced because of small holes. They only replaced the outer portion. It might be different when they do the rear defroster though.

Posted from 1addicts.com App for Android
      06-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Well as I understand it, the glass is integrated into the exterior canvas, so those two get replaced together. Based upon the parts list above, it seems that the headliner was reused, as just a mounting kit was specified.

But Im more interested/concerned in adjustments. If the top worked fine and just the cloth was replaced, there should be no reason to make any adjustments to the top or its location/alignment, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My top was replaced twice under warranty. I don't know what exactly was replaced but the inside was always fine. It was the outside that got the start of a hole. I never adjusted the top and to my knowledge BMW didn't either. My bimmer typically only went to the dealer once a year.