BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
Torx
Rep
Drives: 120d coupe m sport

DIY: rear camera install

Hi, again hoping someone can solve a query that has me pulling what's left of my hair out.

Currently have Pioneer AVH-X3600dab installed and been trying to rig up a rear view camera. Firstly tried connecting to reverse lights as instructed but no joy as since found out canbus will drop voltage to the reverse lights resulting in insufficient power supply. Tested on 12v ignition live just to check and camera working fine so all good to go.

Thought next I would try a 12v relay connected to reverse light and 12v constant/switched supply. Anyone know if my thinking is flawed?

Main query is, Pioneer installation manual specifies violet/white cable of the loom should be connected to reverse light cable that drops in power when reverse gear selected!
Is this absolutely necessary after aforementioned ops carried out?

Can someone kindly put me out of my misery. Many thanks for any help offered.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I'm not sure I understand so I'll repeat what I think you mean in my words. I think you said that you hooked the camera up as if the lead you found for the reverse lights was the 12V power to the lights and found out it was not. The car drops the voltage making the camera not work. But there is another wire in the wires for the Pioneer that is supposed to be for a car connection that drops voltage (?). If that is the case, I would try that first. If it doesn't work either, you could then try a relay. But it seems like the first step would be to try what the manufacturer seems to have provided that fits your situation. I'm thinking that the Pioneer would also have a wire that would be triggered by the car connection and would supply the power to the camera.
      07-15-2014, 06:12 AM   #3
Torx
Rep

Think we're on same wavelength except lead from Pioneer just tells it when to select and deselect camera mode automatically and has no relation to camera or its power.

I wired camera direct to 12v supply,ground etc and selected camera via headunit menu and all works fine. Except, Pioneer freezes in this mode as it does not know when the car is out of reverse, hence the violet/white lead. Thats my thinking anyways.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
adevangel84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 (RIP)

Check out my rear camera wiring diagram. You my need an automotive 4 pin relay. Here is the link: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833698

When I didn't have this relay, my camera would freeze and just show a black screen when the engine is on and on reverse. Camera work if engine is off. This is because it wasn't getting enough juice to the camera. Hope this helps.

2008 135i Mods: MHD/AFe/ER/Synapse/VRSF/Berk/Cobb
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
Torx
Rep

That's great many thanks. Looks like I was somewhere near if not quite as expert as yourself.

Really appreciate your help thankyou.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Torx
Rep

Hi guys,

Latest update, connected relay as per instruction, great!

Only thing is camera will display automatically when reverse selected but still have to exit via home screen button. After about 15-20 seconds the reverse screen re-appears but without image obviously as power feed is disabled?

Other thing is I've lost MFSW control for headunit after re- booting Pioneer?

Any ideas gents??
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 04:32 AM   #7
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

Get power from the 12v socket in the boot on the right hand side, that's what I did.

Trigger the relay from the reverse light.

Connect 30 to 12+
Connect 87 to Camera
Connect 85 to reverse light positive
Connect 86 to Reverse light negative

85 and 86 can be done either way doesn't matter unless specified
Attached Images

Last edited by martymil; 07-25-2014 at 04:45 AM..
Appreciate 0