BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
bobbynoway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Car Jacking in Sydney

This is an extract from the Daily Tele online:

A SYDNEY man has suffered a terrifying ordeal when carjackers in balaclavas fired into his silver BMW, forced him out of the car and threatened him.

A 35-year-old Coogee man was driving a 2006 model silver BMW along Malabar Rd, Maroubra, when two men in a black sports car drove up behind him about 9:40pm last night.

The man was threatened with what is believed to be a type of hand gun before the offenders, wearing balaclavas and gloves, fired a single shot into the rear of the car.

The man exited the car and one offender got in the BMW and both cars fled the scene.

The 35-year-old man was uninjured.

Police established a crime scene and were searching for the offenders last night.

Forensics crews examined the scene and collected a single bullet casing.

Police are asking anyone with information to contact Eastern Beaches Police or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Anybody knows more to this story like the model of BMW? I wonder if our 1 series cars are a target for such thieves. I wouldnt think so being the lower models but I wouldnt put it pass them if an opportunity arises.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
I'd only suspect, if it was a 1-er, that it would be a '35.

Then again, with a 35, he should've gotten away..... Especially if the rear window of the car was shot, they were already behind him.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by news.com.au
POLICE are looking for an armed man and an accomplice who carjacked a silver BMW in Sydney's east.

A 35-year-old man was driving a 2006 model silver BMW on Malabar Road, Maroubra, about 9.40pm (AEST) last night when two men wearing balaclavas got out of a black sports car and threatened him with a firearm.

One shot was fired into the rear of the BMW, forcing the victim to get out of his car.

One of the hooded men then got in and drove off, while the other fled in the black sports car.

The victim was not injured during the incident.

Police are appealing for anyone with information on the incident to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Can't be a 1er now!

Ref: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...-29277,00.html
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

Oh crap, I just bought a house in Maroubra - moving in later this year!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

I'm still surprised to see how many people drive around with their car doors unlocked or leave their cars in the car park with handbags etc on display. Trust no one.

A few months back some dick came up to the X5 driver's side at a STOP sign and like an idiot I didn't think and wound the window down. He asked for directions but when he looked back and saw my three kids in the back he just took off. I reckon if it was just me it would have been game on. I'd have no hestitation in driving over the bugger if he'd tried anything!!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

don't try to run over them. He may come back and sue you.

Someone tail gate me in my BMW the other day, in a Holden Astra Turbo. Don't know his intention, but I just put my foot down and do a couple of corners and left.
      07-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
cargeek
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Old man's comfy car

If you have comfort access aways keep the key in your pocket. At least the car won't go once they stop. Hopefully they might pull up at a servo to fill up!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
bobbynoway
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
don't try to run over them. He may come back and sue you.

Someone tail gate me in my BMW the other day, in a Holden Astra Turbo. Don't know his intention, but I just put my foot down and do a couple of corners and left.
If it was me, I will try to get away whichever way I can. Even it means running him over (maybe backup just to make sure?). Look out for yourself, your the no.1 priorty, not the guy trying to rob/kill you.

And about crimminal sueing victims for compensation for injury during the course of commiting a serious crime? I will happily run the scum over and take my chances in court anyday.

Of course every situation is different, I have been lucky not to have this unfortunate event happened to me so Im only speculating what I would do.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #9
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
I was very close to being car-jacked by BMW Finance.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 12:10 AM   #10
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
I was very close to being car-jacked by BMW Finance.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 12:12 AM   #11
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
I'm still surprised to see how many people drive around with their car doors unlocked or leave their cars in the car park with handbags etc on display. Trust no one.

A few months back some dick came up to the X5 driver's side at a STOP sign and like an idiot I didn't think and wound the window down. He asked for directions but when he looked back and saw my three kids in the back he just took off. I reckon if it was just me it would have been game on. I'd have no hestitation in driving over the bugger if he'd tried anything!!
My sister-in-law had her handbag snatched from the front passenger seat while she was sitting in traffic in Darlinghurst Sydney.

Always lock your doors!

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 12:24 AM   #12
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
A few years ago late at night I was approached by two youths in a back road behind the St Ives shopping centre. They had a knife and wanted my wallet and mobile phone. I stalled for time by saying that I didn't have my wallet with me and managed to jump into my car which had the front door ajar and engine running (as I had got out for a few seconds to throw some rubbish in a skip bin).

The muggers held my door open so I couldn't close and lock it so I instinctively wacked the car in D and flattened the throttle and took off with my door open. There was no way they could hold on the the door.... lol.

Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 12:39 AM   #13
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
He may come back and sue you.
Just make sure he doesn't come back

I reckon comfort access should have a setting where if it doesn't detect your key fob after a minute the car shuts down or the fuel supply is cut. I never put the fob in the ignition.

Or you could always get a trunk monkey!

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 12:41 AM   #14
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3syd View Post
A few years ago late at night I was approached by two youths in a back road behind the St Ives shopping centre. They had a knife and wanted my wallet and mobile phone. I stalled for time by saying that I didn't have my wallet with me and managed to jump into my car which had the front door ajar and engine running (as I had got out for a few seconds to throw some rubbish in a skip bin).

The muggers held my door open so I couldn't close and lock it so I instinctively wacked the car in D and flattened the throttle and took off with my door open. There was no way they could hold on the the door.... lol.
glad to hear you got away unscathed!
stupid enough of them to try and mug someone let alone let you get back into your idling car!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 12:59 AM   #15
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
Just make sure he doesn't come back

I reckon comfort access should have a setting where if it doesn't detect your key fob after a minute the car shuts down or the fuel supply is cut. I never put the fob in the ignition.

Or you could always get a trunk monkey!

Haaa haa ha, brilliant stuff!

Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 01:00 AM   #16
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
glad to hear you got away unscathed!
stupid enough of them to try and mug someone let alone let you get back into your idling car!
Yeah thanks. How I wished I had a Dirty Harry style .44 Magnum that night....

Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 02:16 AM   #17
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
My sister-in-law had her handbag snatched from the front passenger seat while she was sitting in traffic in Darlinghurst Sydney.

Always lock your doors!
I ALWAYS lock my doors, no matter where I am. It's now just habit as soon as i get into my car. I also don't get out to check anything (paper) placed under the windscreen until i'm well away from where i parked, as this is how some people were doing carjackings last year in a spate of jackings in WA.

I had a funny experience in my old WRX. I was driving home around 4pm on a Friday afternoon on the northern beaches. The car in front of me stopped in the middle of the road, blocking my path. I waited, and the driver got out and started running back towards me. Instinctively shoved the car into R, and rove backwards and he chased me. The female passenger jumped into the drivers seat of the other car and i knew it was a jacking.

I noticed a silver ford wagon pull up right next to my door, about half a foot away. I thought i was in the crap, until i noticed there were 2 police detectives in an unmarked car!!!!!!

The guy got cuffed, and the second officer chased the woman down on foot. They sent me home after taking my address down, and came over 30 minutes later to get a statement. Eventually the male was charged with assaulting a police officer. VERY VERY lucky they were there - they said they were going out to attend a break & enter.

In another incident, an ex-girlfriend of mine's mother got her handbag stolen out of her LAP leaving a shopping centre in her car - she had the driver's window down. The thief grabbed her head and banged it against the inside of the window (an old 318i), and took the bag and ran.

Shame that there are wankers like this out there
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 02:18 AM   #18
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
As an add-on to my above post - the detectives said to me "you do whatever you can to get out of the situation".... Whether your last resort be to run over the guy, whatever. But basically they were saying don't give in unless your life is in real danger.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 02:22 AM   #19
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Wow scary story. Things like that just don't happen to often in this isolated corner of the world. Well done for backing away, I am not sure if I would have done the same. Would probably have naively wound down my window and said: "Yes?"

Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 02:26 AM   #20
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Wow scary story. Things like that just don't happen to often in this isolated corner of the world. Well done for backing away, I am not sure if I would have done the same. Would probably have naively wound down my window and said: "Yes?"
It was the way in which he chased me down - and seeing the woman move across the centre console from the passenger's side to the driver's side.

When he got up to the car he was trying to elbow the window in, so it was pretty obvious at that stage.

I got home and my pupils were unbelievably dilated - it's amazing how bad the delay in feeling adrenalin in those situations is!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 02:34 AM   #21
bobbynoway
Private First Class
Rep

A tactic I have read somewhere is they will bump into you with another car at a set of lights. Then most reasonable people will usually get out to look at the damage as well as exchange insurance details. Unbeknown to them this was a trap set for carjacking.
A variation to this tactic is to use 2 cars, 1 to block you in from the front, the other to "bump" into you.

After hearing this story I now am very wary of incidents like this. If it happen late at night, I will be calling the police and not get out of the car, unless they have a gun pointed straight to your head.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 02:37 AM   #22
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
BTW Taymaishu which part of the Northern Beaches did this incident happen?

Spare Car:
Appreciate 0