BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
MRWILT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black on Black 2009 135i

N54 JB4 or Evolve

Whats up fellow BMW lovers. I have my new baby being delivered to me in a week. 2009 135i. I want to tune it but i have pretty low car experience and definitely dont what to F things up. Seeing as how I am less experienced which would you recommend in regards to ease of installation, ability to uninstall for warranty and over performance. JB4 or Evolve tunes?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I'm not familiar with Evolve, but with a Cobb AP you just have to plug the cable to the obd2 port and flash it. Its so simple a caveman could do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
John Dempsey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 135i M-Sport

I would reccomend Cobb. And second to Cobb procede.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
NC135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AW 6MT

But Cobb is a full flash, correct? And JB4 is a piggyback tune and would be less detectable once uninstalled?
      02-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
135IS
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 LMB 135I / AW 1M

Garage List
2009 135i  [7.00]
I love my JB4! Cobb is great too but ive only heard bad things about procede...
AW 1M: Current #211 of 220
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC135 View Post
But Cobb is a full flash, correct? And JB4 is a piggyback tune and would be less detectable once uninstalled?
piggy back versus flash argument can be made forever. they each have their benefits. cobb has shown cobb tuned cars to bmw techs, both installed and removed. the techs could not tell it had ever been tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135IS View Post
awesome. typical JB4 fanboi. no experience with the procede but "all you've heard is bad things."

i've had both procede and jb4, along with cobb, jb+, etc etc etc. procede OWNS the jb4 in everything. jb4 is just an imitation of the procede, but it's still not an equal. jb4 doesn't control timing, it just uses the stock timing and knock sensor. procede is MUCH more smooth, controlled, and powerful at all throttle angles.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dempsey View Post
I would reccomend Cobb. And second to Cobb procede.

i wouldn't recommend messing with flashes other than Cobb. GIAC, evolve, OE/Gintani, etc. are not worth the money or hastle
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
gmane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce
Quote:
piggy back versus flash argument can be made forever. they each have their benefits. cobb has shown cobb tuned cars to bmw techs, both installed and removed. the techs could not tell it had ever been tuned.

Quote:
awesome. typical JB4 fanboi. no experience with the procede but "all you've heard is bad things."

i've had both procede and jb4, along with cobb, jb+, etc etc etc. procede OWNS the jb4 in everything. jb4 is just an imitation of the procede, but it's still not an equal. jb4 doesn't control timing, it just uses the stock timing and knock sensor. procede is MUCH more smooth, controlled, and powerful at all throttle angles.
Bryce would you say procede over everything else? I'm trying to decide on a tune and I've read every post I could find comparing tunes.. At first JB4 was my pick now it's moved on to Cobb with procede lingering in the background.. I'd like the most "bang for the buck" but I also praise quality over share horse power.. It's for a daily driven 135i N54.. I'm not planning on running meth, just tune, DP, exhaust and FMIC..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 03:36 AM   #9
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmane
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce
Quote:

Quote:

Bryce would you say procede over everything else? I'm trying to decide on a tune and I've read every post I could find comparing tunes.. At first JB4 was my pick now it's moved on to Cobb with procede lingering in the background.. I'd like the most "bang for the buck" but I also praise quality over share horse power.. It's for a daily driven 135i N54.. I'm not planning on running meth, just tune, DP, exhaust and FMIC..
For dp, exhaust, fmic the Cobb is probably the easiest to pick up n use
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
pnosker
ti fan
Rep
Drives: 14 12C | 17 X5 50i | 19 M2C

Garage List
If you're going to do a tune only without meth/etc. you might as well stick with the BMW Performance Power Kit. It's less money than the Cobb, covered under warranty, and was recently shown to be significantly underrated in HP/Torque output.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

The BMW performance is way down on power compared to the aftermarket options and is no longer cheaper then Cobb. Also if you are going to do dp and fmic the difference would be huge. I would put the BMW performance tune in last place out of the tunes for you. Cobb jb4 and proceeds are all good options and you would probably be happy with any of those three.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmane View Post
you can't go wrong with cobb or procede. i have them both

honestly, i like the way the procede drives better. it's more eager to rev, pulls the hardest at higher rpm's (6k and up). cobb definitely has its benefits, i'm holding onto it to get a custom tune once ATR is available.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

I have the Cobb and i'm a big fan of the tune. It's so easy to install it's rediculous.
Based on times and trap speeds it appears to be the strongest non-meth tune currently available.

Evolve seems like a hit or miss tune, i've seen a few threads where people have issues with the Evolve tune and just couldn't get the tune to perform properly. I'm not saying Evolve is a bad tune, people always complain when they have a problem but rarely create a thread just to talk about when things are going well.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
John Dempsey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 135i M-Sport

I have a Cobb and a Procede. Both are great but the Cobb seems to have more torque, and also with the new user tuning and pro tune coming out for Cobb, that's going to be hard to beat!!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #15
gmane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Hmm thanks for the replies.. Why are
You guys running both? What's the benefits there? Or are you running the tunes separately? Can you guys list some pros & cons to the Cobb/procede? And for those that have had JB4 I'd be interested in the pros & cons too..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
honestly, i like the way the procede drives better. it's more eager to rev, pulls the hardest at higher rpm's (6k and up).
Seriously!!!
Appreciate 0