BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

1M Car covers? Experience? (BavAuto, BMW, Etc)

Anyone have experience with car covers for the 1M? I had a Coverking weathershield years ago that was amazing, it would keep out water, condensation, dust, etc. and keep the car SUPER clean, was a parachute like material.

I have seen the BavAuto car covers as well as the BMW ///M and was wondering if anyone has personal experience/suggestions with any. I like the BMW cover but am not crazy about the open license plate piece and would probably close it up if I were to get the cover.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Are you looking for an outdoor or indoor cover?

My cars are garaged, so I only use indoor covers. If that is what you are after, there is no better one than the Covercraft FormFit IMO!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Are you looking for an outdoor or indoor cover?

My cars are garaged, so I only use indoor covers. If that is what you are after, there is no better one than the Covercraft FormFit IMO!
I require an outdoor solution as due to work my ///M is sitting in the driveway 4 days a week while I am away. (Unfortunately do not have the privilege of a garage)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Pamlico
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

I have the BMW custom cover and it was on the car all of this past winter, but it was in the garage. It's pretty high quality and does repel water easily. It's supposedly washable as well. I haven't washed it yet, but someone else posted that they washed theirs and it came out fine. The storage bag is attached to the cover via two straps and I think you could push the cover up under the clear plastic window for the license plate which would hide the plate.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

I have the custom BMW ///M cover as well and have been pretty happy with it.

The material is great. It repels water like nothing I've seen before. It will not absorb a drop. This also means other things like pollen, bird poop rinse off easily. It is also extremely light but tough. It fold up very easily and goes into the attached bag without any fuss. Very handy for storing in the trunk.

I've actually thrown it in the washer (cold cycle, no soap) and it's been fine. It drip dries within minutes once you shake the excess water off (again, the outside does not absorb any water and is completely dry when you pull it out).

The only downsides are the multiple ///M badges (back and side), and lettering ("Powered by BMW M" on hood) and the see through window for the license plate (weird right?). I think it's just asking for trouble if you use it in a public parking spot.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
I have the custom BMW ///M cover as well and have been pretty happy with it.

The material is great. It repels water like nothing I've seen before. It will not absorb a drop. This also means other things like pollen, bird poop rinse off easily. It is also extremely light but tough. It fold up very easily and goes into the attached bag without any fuss. Very handy for storing in the trunk.

I've actually thrown it in the washer (cold cycle, no soap) and it's been fine. It drip dries within minutes once you shake the excess water off (again, the outside does not absorb any water and is completely dry when you pull it out).

The only downsides are the multiple ///M badges (back and side), and lettering ("Powered by BMW M" on hood) and the see through window for the license plate (weird right?). I think it's just asking for trouble if you use it in a public parking spot.
This sounds a lot like the cover i used to have for another car. Is it a very light, plasticy, parachute type of material?

While personally I love the ///M badges I think they could have done worlds with a modest 1, maybe 2, and lay off the hood. I mean I understand the license plate feature, but how about a detachable or fold up cover for it right?! Stupid....

On another note this is for 100% driveway use so I am only modestly concerned of hooligans as far as "asking for trouble" goes. I just need something to protect the car M-F after a fresh Sunday wash while dad is out of state for work!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
This sounds a lot like the cover i used to have for another car. Is it a very light, plasticy, parachute type of material?

While personally I love the ///M badges I think they could have done worlds with a modest 1, maybe 2, and lay off the hood. I mean I understand the license plate feature, but how about a detachable or fold up cover for it right?! Stupid....

On another note this is for 100% driveway use so I am only modestly concerned of hooligans as far as "asking for trouble" goes. I just need something to protect the car M-F after a fresh Sunday wash while dad is out of state for work!
Yes, the material is very thin, but feels silky, tough and plasticky.

I actually use it for both indoor/outdoor use. I had to park outside for a few weeks and the car was pristine after sitting under it for a few days following a wash.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
Yes, the material is very thin, but feels silky, tough and plasticky.

I actually use it for both indoor/outdoor use. I had to park outside for a few weeks and the car was pristine after sitting under it for a few days following a wash.
Exactly. Time to pony up $280, unless someone knows of a better place
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
JohnCena
Banned
Rep
Drives: VO

Garage List
I have the 1M BMW car cover and love it
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
I thought I posted a link somewhere for $200-200, I cant remember. Search for the old car cover thread from last summer/fall

Try google and bmw parts and then for the dealership put in the zip code for Monrovia, Ca. I know I found floor mats for others like that really cheap.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 01:22 AM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
I thought I posted a link somewhere for $200-200, I cant remember. Search for the old car cover thread from last summer/fall

Try google and bmw parts and then for the dealership put in the zip code for Monrovia, Ca. I know I found floor mats for others like that really cheap.
HP Autowerks is offering on here for $280 shipped also!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...1#post12072331
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 03:55 AM   #12
LofgrenCL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M, E89, E46

The standard BMW 1 Series Cover

I have the OEM BMW E82 Cover and it works great.

The Fabric (NOVA) is excellent for outdoor applications.

Last winter I stored my 1M under a makeshift tent that supported a waterproof tarp with strong fiberglass tent poles.

The 1M was then covered in the OEM BMW cover. I plugged the tailpipes with oily rags then I added a small heater and trickle charger. Hibernation commenced...

Five months later I took her out and other than a few spider webs in the engine bay.. All is well.

In all, I have three car covers made out of the Nova Fabric. (2 from BMW and one from Covercraft.) They are soft on the inside - but thick enough to protect the car.. The Fabric "breathes" but is very water repellent.

If your car is going to see rain, hail, snow and wind.. Get the gray Nova Fabric, cover..

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #13
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here you go: https://www.trademotion.com/partloca...catalogid=4462

$260.00

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

$232

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...nterId=3164201
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LofgrenCL View Post
I have the OEM BMW E82 Cover and it works great.

The Fabric (NOVA) is excellent for outdoor applications.

Last winter I stored my 1M under a makeshift tent that supported a waterproof tarp with strong fiberglass tent poles.

The 1M was then covered in the OEM BMW cover. I plugged the tailpipes with oily rags then I added a small heater and trickle charger. Hibernation commenced...

Five months later I took her out and other than a few spider webs in the engine bay.. All is well.

In all, I have three car covers made out of the Nova Fabric. (2 from BMW and one from Covercraft.) They are soft on the inside - but thick enough to protect the car.. The Fabric "breathes" but is very water repellent.

If your car is going to see rain, hail, snow and wind.. Get the gray Nova Fabric, cover..

that is some serious hibernation! haha

Yes my cover will see all rangers of weather thanks to good old inconsistent NY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
after shipping they come to $245, not bad!
Appreciate 0