BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-01-2011, 02:47 AM   #23
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

Hey there, I've received 3 private messages this week by people about this.
Here is my feedback / updates

@ Salazar
- The cable needed is OBDII cable, and make sure it says "DCAN" in the description
-- see here for example click here

- for corner delete refer to this list: click here And try and find a setting which relates to what you want, and if you can't, try searching google for "ncs expert corner delete" and see if others may have specified which setting needs to be changed

- angel eye voltage output increase I have no idea how to do this one so can't comment

@ mineo77 (& also a note to everyone)
- I don't know where to start.. don't take offense to anything I say!!
- This is my advice for you & other people considering coding

- NEVER CODE WITH A WEAK CAR BATTERY, if your battery is weak, charge it / buy a new one. because if in the case of mineo77 theres a chance of it dying, it can mess things up if you're in the middle of coding the ecu

- Second, NEVER CODE WHILE THE CAR IS OFF-- This is again to make sure the battery doesnt die...

- NEVER RUSH INTO CODING
-- Always start cautiously
-- BACKUP THE MODULE FIRST
-- Change only ONE OR TWO options, then write back to ECU and test
-- DO NOT MAKE LOTS OF CHANGES ON YOUR FIRST ATTEMPT!!!!

-- READ THIS THREAD CAREFULLY specifically so you know all the information before you attempt anything

-- DO NOT attempt to disable the driver seatbelt gong
--- The reason for this has already been mentioned and is obvious, the setting is located in the Airbag module & some people think the setting MIGHT mean check for passenger and if thats turned off, the airbag might not deploy in accidents!!!!!!

-- can you check the manual & let us know what those error warning symbols explanation is

-- my opinion is it is either something to do with your low battery voltage -- Did you code it when the car was off? or on? ALWAYS code when the car is on

-- also, what Year / Model is your car

-- did you backup your module settings & restore those backups? or did you actually recode the values in the files back to what they originally were... ALWAYS backup the complete file first

-- the Software version shouldn't be a problem 3.1 i think it is, everyone uses it, so yea i think its something I've mentioned earlier..

@ aacabriolet
- click the link to the list I linked to earlier in this thread & see if you can find roof / remote closing from that list

-- to disable the errors related to the bulbs / LEDs thats EASY, and that is actually what I got success on mine, read my early post where I listed all the configuration values to disable go here

Hope this helps everyone, when I get a chance I will update the first post in this thread and make it more of a guide with information / links to read, but till then just follow what I posted

Last edited by fatjoez; 02-01-2011 at 03:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 02:58 AM   #24
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Thanks fatjoez some food advice there.

Would really appreciate some screenshots like showing us how to backup module etc and any other precautionary measures we should take.

Some other small q's:

- does NCs Expert run on Windows 7 or only older Os like XP

Thanks dude!! Can't wait to get a cable and try this out

Last edited by aacabriolet; 02-01-2011 at 03:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:19 AM   #25
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

@fatjoez - would this cable work? http://www.stopshop.co.za/1358-buy-v...cvfg-a09-.html

it says it has support for "Direct Can" which I assume is D-CAN? but do we need 16 pin or 20 pin connector?

Regarding Angel Eyes dimming, perhaps it's "DRL_DIMMUNG" ? - be careful
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #26
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Fatjoez - thanks for the breakdown on things. To follow-up, we only coded 1 thing at a time and had the original back-up file etc. I was unaware of how low my battery was and in hind site I would hook up to power supply.

Those 2 codes are: Cruise control fail, Park selector not engaged (AT car, i am MT so weird to see this) and I am unable to reset my service indicator which I have been able to do in the past.

Did you select E89 chassis?

thanks so much
      02-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #27
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Why did you select E89 chassis?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #28
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacabriolet View Post
Why did you select E89 chassis?
Supposedly you have to for the E82/E88.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #29
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Aah I see.

@fatjoez (or anyone else that knows): can these same options be coded using the alternative BMW "SSS" software? instead of NCS Expert?

Man these cables are expensive
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #30
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
there was no E88/82 chassis code. The guy who was remotely coding stated this is what he uses for both 335i and 135i.
      02-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #31
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
very cool, might have to give it a try one day
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #32
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
very cool, might have to give it a try one day
Better don't! Leave it to somebody who knows what he is doing. I heard some bad stories about coding fail. Better think what you want to code then go to some professional guy, stay safe.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #33
Salazar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Black 135i

I was looking around and ran into this place:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...w-scanner.html

The software used there looks very straightforward and simple with check boxes, but at a price.. Don't think ill be willing to pay almost $2000 lol
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #34
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salazar View Post
I was looking around and ran into this place:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...w-scanner.html

The software used there looks very straightforward and simple with check boxes, but at a price.. Don't think ill be willing to pay almost $2000 lol
Looks good. I think the SSS software will also be easier and safer to use, I just need a cable now :/
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #35
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
@fatjoez - would this cable work? http://www.stopshop.co.za/1358-buy-v...cvfg-a09-.html

it says it has support for "Direct Can" which I assume is D-CAN? but do we need 16 pin or 20 pin connector?

Regarding Angel Eyes dimming, perhaps it's "DRL_DIMMUNG" ? - be careful
hey aacabriolet, not sure if it's 16 or 20pin, the only models listed on that page you linked are audis/vws so maybe its not the right one, but that said I thought OBDII was a Universal port so it probably will work if it has DCAN
Just email the seller and ask them if its compatible with your car year/model

regarding DRL_DIMMUNG - Google Translate is your best friend for this coding process, and DIMMUNG is german for DIMMING yes

@mineo77
- always code with the car on (the guy who I coded with told me this) to make sure the battery doesn't die on you, and when you know your batteries weak charge it up or buy a new one before coding

- it's really hard to say my friend, if you are sure you have reloaded all the modules you changed from backup files, and still you have these issues, then it is possible that the battery didn't last while you were coding.. just a guess!!!

- yes for 1series and some other ones, you must select the e89 chassis, which I believe is the new BMW Z4, because there is no E82/e88 (1series) chassis in the NCS expert versions on the internet and because E89 is similar and will work fine

- if you find the right cable it should cost somewhere between $50USD to $120USD on ebay or other sellers. This is not very expensive if you think about what possibilities you have with this software.

this is something I want to say to everyone. Everyone likes to say its very difficult and scary and risky procedure. The truth is, if you follow everyones advice about how to code safely and carefully, you should be fine, like me & many others!!

Here is a detailed guide on using NCS Expert
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1562077
BUT there is some setup required to get NCS Expert to work in the first place, I don't know the link off by heart so have to look around!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 03:02 AM   #36
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Thanks fatjoez.

Something interesting, another guy on a different forum told me to never code when the car is on, and always hook the car up to a charger as the charge must be constant >13.6

Quote:
never leave the car running while coding/programming .. put the car on a battery charger and THEN do it ... battery voltage must be above 13.6V
So i dunno
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 06:08 AM   #37
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Thanks fatjoez.

Something interesting, another guy on a different forum told me to never code when the car is on, and always hook the car up to a charger as the charge must be constant >13.6

So i dunno

My car and the tweenty other 1er's was coded in the parking lot of Burger King in Nuernberg. lol No charger was used. The coding only takes a few minutes.

IF anyone decided to do their "own" coding... you better make a backup file of your OE sw... otherwise you might be screwed if something goes wrong with your coding.

for the few euros I paid to have my car coded... I am a happy camper. Bascially 14 euros per code/change to the car. You can't be that.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 06:09 AM   #38
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Quote:
Thanks fatjoez.
I'm fairly sure BMW technicians use a battery charger when they're applying an update to the ECU. Seems like a good idea to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #39
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep

The Battery Charger Idea is fine if you REALLY wanna get that protective lol
The truth is though as long as your battery has a decent charge & your car engine is running (as a failsafe for the battery) you should be fine...

The Write To ECU part only takes about 30 seconds or so,
your car battery is free to die anytime except then lol

So yea in general, for the average coder, if your battery's okay,
just start the car & get on with it

OR if you are in europe / have a local coder yeah sure pay them to do it.
I didn't have that luxury haha

But all in all it was a good experience and I'm more than comfortable with coding now as anyone else who has done it will be

Last edited by fatjoez; 02-04-2011 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #40
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

When you say the car is "on," do you mean with the engine running?? I was under the impression that you shouldn't code the car with the engine running.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #41
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Bump. Any more coding experiences/tips with NCS Expert?

Is it safe to code with the car engine on?? Keep hearing different stories.. Some say u should NEVER code with car on so I dunno?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 01:23 AM   #42
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Bump. Any more coding experiences/tips with NCS Expert?

Is it safe to code with the car engine on?? Keep hearing different stories.. Some say u should NEVER code with car on so I dunno?
Ok let me help you all clarify this.. because I think you guys are getting confused with what everyone is saying about "coding with your engine on"....

First off you do not code with your engine physically running.. when they say your engine has to be on this is what you do:

Put your key fob into the ignition hole.. press your start button once or twice I forgot without pressing down on the brake (auto) or brake and clutch (manual).. then you will turn on the car. Now you can code your car.

I've been coding for 1ers and some e90s for the past few months.. so I guess I can help answer any questions you guys have..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #43
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LazyBmw View Post
Ok let me help you all clarify this.. because I think you guys are getting confused with what everyone is saying about "coding with your engine on"....

First off you do not code with your engine physically running.. when they say your engine has to be on this is what you do:

Put your key fob into the ignition hole.. press your start button once or twice I forgot without pressing down on the brake (auto) or brake and clutch (manual).. then you will turn on the car. Now you can code your car.

I've been coding for 1ers and some e90s for the past few months.. so I guess I can help answer any questions you guys have..
Thanks mate! Appreciate the response. SO just ignition on then, that is what i was looking for thanks

Going to try to enable the digital speedo on my car now.

I select E89 chassis right, and then change BC_DIGITAL_V to "aktiv" ? Then code the car in NCS Expert so it transfers the file over?

Hope it works! What if my KOMBI software (for example) is > the DATEN files for NCSExpert? Will I get errors then and my dash freak out like i've heard of?

EDIT: ok jumped the gun and did it and it works got the latest DATEN files so that probably helped.

Thanks

Last edited by aacabriolet; 06-25-2011 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #44
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Thanks mate! Appreciate the response. SO just ignition on then, that is what i was looking for thanks

Going to try to enable the digital speedo on my car now.

I select E89 chassis right, and then change BC_DIGITAL_V to "aktiv" ? Then code the car in NCS Expert so it transfers the file over?

Hope it works! What if my KOMBI software (for example) is > the DATEN files for NCSExpert? Will I get errors then and my dash freak out like i've heard of?

EDIT: ok jumped the gun and did it and it works got the latest DATEN files so that probably helped.

Thanks
Glad I can help... let me know if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 0