BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #23
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Do you have a DCT?

Nah, 6 speed manual.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #24
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Do you have a DCT?

On my N54 I have a 6MT... and I only hear that matalic metal clicking/rattle on part throttle and only when driving next to a wall or guardrail, under part throttle. Here is a pdf explaining how this noise is normal. I never hear a "pop" noise. I know on the new M5 is kind of "farts" on WOT when it shifts - that is normal too.
It's more of a crack pop than clicking, I actually liked it but now its gone.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #25
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

My experience with my SW update... I believe BMW has come out with a de-tune that gets rid of all these strange sounds the N55/N54 makes... but in doing so they also have "neutered" the car's performance (balls). 90% of consumers probably like that. I do not! I think it saves them from (clueless) owners bringing their cars in for service with these "sound" and "driveabilty" complaints. And probably saves them from buying back some cars too bc of those said noises.

Post SW update, my car was quiter, idled lower (and smoother) had little to no injector noise at idle, no wastegate noises and "felt" smoother while driving. BUT... alot of the snappy performance was GONE>! Before you only had to press manybe 1/4 throttle to get ripping acell, post SW you needed to press down atleast 1/2 throttle or more.

I think some of "us" here have a good seat of the pants dyno(the Germans call it s "popi-sensor"! )... while others do not. I really hate what BMW is doing to our cars. I will never have another SW update done.

All that said... I am glad there is an aftermarket... bc with my flash tune... my car is way better than before the SW. It has all those old glorious noises/rattles/sounds... but what I really like is the car just rips now at very low throttle. And when I do go WOT... OMG!!!

Dack

Last edited by Dackelone; 10-07-2011 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #26
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
My experience with my SW update... I believe BMW has come out with a de-tune that gets rid of all these strange sounds the N55/N54 makes... but in doing so they also have "neutered" the car's performance (balls). 90% of consumers probably like that. I do not! I think it saves them from (clueless) owners bringing their cars in for service with these "sound" and "driveabilty" complaints. And probably saves them from buying back some cars too bc of those said noises.

Post SW update, my car was quiter, idled lower (and smoother) had little to no injector noise at idle, no wastegate noises and "felt" smoother while driving. BUT... alot of the snappy performance was GONE>! Before you only had to press manybe 1/4 throttle to get ripping acell, post SW you needed to press down atleast 1/2 throttle or more.

I think some of "us" here have a good seat of the pants dyno(the Germans call it s "popi-sensor"! )... while others do not. I really hate what BMW is doing to our cars. I will never have another SW update done.

All that said... I am glad there is an aftermarket... bc with my flash tune... my car is way better than before the SW. It has all those old glorious noises/rattles/sounds... but what I really like is the car just rips now at very low throttle. And when I do go WOT... OMG!!!

Dack
Yeah its quiet for sure, especially the exhaust on start up. It's neutered alright, my SA was off today so no update.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #27
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
WOW, reading through this.. I have no clue why no one here has not Lawyered up!!!

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #28
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
It's more of a crack pop than clicking, I actually liked it but now its gone.
I just had my car towed yesterday its been a year and 3 or 4 months of this $h!T..... Get out now...

PS I loved that sound too.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #29
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
WOW, reading through this.. I have no clue why no one here has not Lawyered up!!!
Not sure what legal options i have but I'm trying to work it out with the dealer first. I already logged a complaint with BMW NA, not sure what good that's going to do.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #30
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
I just had my car towed yesterday its been a year and 3 or 4 months of this $h!T..... Get out now...

PS I loved that sound too.
HPFP??

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #31
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Update..

So far my SA just tells me that he's working on it and to hang in there but it doesn't seem that they have a solution. I would assume if they did they would of told me to bring the car in by now. He also confirmed that they is no possible way of installing the old software, seems kind of pathetic for a car company like BMW. I let my dad drive it and he stated that there is no throttle delay, he pulled from all 6 gears and claims the car wanted to destroyed the asphalt. At this point I'm expecting the dealer will do nothing and leave me hanging. I have started to look into tuner performance software but based on feedback from other members it fails to fix the throttle delay issue. The car feels like it still has its 300hp but some of the low end torque is gone and i have to press down more on the throttle.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i

Last edited by doublevanosrc; 10-11-2011 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #32
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
So far my SA just tells me that he's working on it and to hang in there but it doesn't seem that they have a solution. I would assume if they did they would of told me to bring the car in by now. He also confirmed that they is no possible way of installing the old software, seems kind of pathetic for a car company like BMW. I let my dad drive it and he stated that there is no throttle delay, he pulled from all 6 gears and claims the car wanted to destroyed the asphalt. At this point I'm expecting the dealer will do nothing and leave me hanging. I have started to look into tuner performance software but based on feedback from other members it fails to fix the throttle delay issue. The car feels like it still has its 300hp but some of the low end torque is gone and i have to press down more on the throttle.
My car feels just like before the BMW SW flash(update) with my flash tune from MS Tuning. Marcel (from MS Tuning) told me that when he flashes the new software... it "will look" like BMW latest SW... but the driving characteristics ARE different. Like after my flash tune... my HPFP still preprimes when you unlock the car... but as far as driving goes... it is ALL classic N54 sounds (rattle and pop sounds durring shifts, noisey injectors - I LOVE all those sounds!) for mine tune. That laggy throttle response is GONE (forever!) and the car just rips!

My tuner also told me that with BMW latest SW flash there IS some anti-tuner software in there. To defeat anyone who has a tune. Some of the module (black box add on) tuners have found this out the hard way - hence why you don't see many of those tunes on the new-er N55 motors. I think BMW is doing this to one, lower their "percieved problems" with the average customer... and two to wipe out the tuning industry. Most good tuners can get around BMW's latest anti-tuner SW. Most people have a hard time to "feel" teh added lag (like your Dad) but we all know it IS there! Our Butt dyno tells us so.

I think you will be very happy after you have a SW flash tune. I would not go with a piggy tune - but that is just me.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #33
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
[B]

I think you will be very happy after you have a SW flash tune. I would not go with a piggy tune - but that is just me.

Dackel
Yeah I'm not a fan of Non-oem stuff, I'm leaning towards the BMW PPK. I'm just looking for better throttle response instead of more power. Of course I wouldn't say no to more power. Is the MS tuning a piggyback?

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #34
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
HPFP??
Not just found out it was the injectors.. 29k miles.. ????

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #35
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I'm not a fan of Non-oem stuff, I'm leaning towards the BMW PPK. I'm just looking for better throttle response instead of more power. Of course I wouldn't say no to more power. Is the MS tuning a piggyback?

It is no piggy, it is a true flash tune. I got MS Tuning's Stage II: 380 PS and 520 Nm of Tq. Boost pressure 0.95 Bar I got the flash tune back in April of this year. So far I have put 20K kms on my car... the engine just runs GREAT! No engine check lights, no hicups or problems starting or running... this tune just flat out performs. Your biggest problem will be needing new tires - bc there is so much more power now.

It drives and starts just like stock... but when you want more power... just plant your right foot! I also removed the top speed limiter on my car. So far I have "only' seen 173 mph (stock the car was limited to 148 mph). But given the right Autobahn... there is more to be had.

Here is the writeup I did back in May...

Got my car tuned in Germany…

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528152
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #36
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Update..

So my SA sent me an email stating that has manager is trying to contact someone at the factory to see what can be done. Really?? They can just phone the factory when they want?? It's taken over a week so I guess they don't have phones yet in Germany. Any advice??

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #37
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
So my SA sent me an email stating that has manager is trying to contact someone at the factory to see what can be done. Really?? They can just phone the factory when they want?? It's taken over a week so I guess they don't have phones yet in Germany. Any advice??

They are hoping you will just go away. You need to be talking to the RSM (Regional Service Manager) from BMW NA. You should skip talking to your SA. Start talking with the service manager - and have the RSM call YOU! He is the one with the power to program the SW back to a performance tune setup. And not the open wastegate setup you have now.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #38
rudyv1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Dackelone, what do you mean when you say "He is the one with the power to program the SW back to a performance tune setup" ?

I have not taken my car in for the recall due to loss of power created by the the new software, although if there is something that can be done at the dealer to restore this power loss AFTER the software upgrade, I would love to know

Thank you again for your expertise
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #39
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyv1 View Post
Dackelone, what do you mean when you say "He is the one with the power to program the SW back to a performance tune setup" ?

I have not taken my car in for the recall due to loss of power created by the the new software, although if there is something that can be done at the dealer to restore this power loss AFTER the software upgrade, I would love to know

Thank you again for your expertise

A lot of times... the RSM knows some secret ways to program the cars or fix the cars for certain types of "customer complaints". I don't have any first hand knowledge... but I suspect BMW knows how to fix this problem... you just have to complain to the right person at BMW. Not your SA or SM, but the field rep or field engineer from BMW NA or BMW AG.

The way the USA is with litigations and "lemon law" buy backs... most car companies are very gun shy to put ANYTHING in writting. They prefer to give their field reps the knowledge to fix customer complaints, on a case by case basis. The reason why BMW NA an other don't like to put info in TSB's, internal memos, or emails... is bc WHEN(not if but when!) they get sued... they have to turn over ALL that info thru litigation process. When only the field rep knows(how to fix a certain issue or complaint)... the info is kept secret, and unknown to the public(and any lawers).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #40
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
They are hoping you will just go away. You need to be talking to the RSM (Regional Service Manager) from BMW NA. You should skip talking to your SA. Start talking with the service manager - and have the RSM call YOU! He is the one with the power to program the SW back to a performance tune setup. And not the open wastegate setup you have now.
Any idea how to get the contact info?? I just sent an email request to BMWNA for the contact info for my local Regional Service Manager.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #41
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Any idea how to get the contact info?? I just sent an email request to BMWNA for the contact info for my local Regional Service Manager.

Normally you have to have your dealership's service manager contact him for you. Have your SM to arrange for a meeting with your RSM or that you want him to "fix" the new SW update. Most service managers has the RSM on speed dial! lol
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #42
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Normally you have to have your dealership's service manager contact him for you. Have your SM to arrange for a meeting with your RSM or that you want him to "fix" the new SW update. Most service managers has the RSM on speed dial! lol
Thanks again.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #43
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Update!!!

So my service advisor called me and told me that BMW would pay for the performance software as long as I pay for the installation which is $395. Sounds good but that installation seems kinda high no??

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #44
Paul
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Touring, EV and a MINI

Quote:
So my service advisor called me and told me that BMW would pay for the performance software as long as I pay for the installation which is $395. Sounds good but that installation seems kinda high no??
Do it!