02-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #23
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
No need to worry. BMW has stated they will not limit production.
There's money to be had, of course they wont.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #24
JimBilly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: waiting for the 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
I dont think anyone will be left with money in their hands at the door
My dealer contacted me confirming limited production of 50 to 60 cars per month for the US.

BMW may not want to turn away orders but they may have no choice. I work in the electonics industry and currently we cannot fill all orders for certain products because we do not have the manufacturing capacity.

And increasing capacity is not something that can be done over night. Equipment needs to be ordered, installed, etc. And it may not be profitable to do so if the product is at the end of it's life.

So BMW is probably going to make every 1M they possibly can but it looks like they cannot satisfy demand. This means that many of us, including some who put down deposits, will unfortunately not be able to purchase one.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #25
BlackFlash
poseur (for now)
Canada
Rep
Drives: a piece-o-crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBilly View Post
So BMW is probably going to make every 1M they possibly can but it looks like they cannot satisfy demand.
Lol, how did you come to that conclusion?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #26
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
My dealer contacted me confirming limited production of 50 to 60 cars per month for the US.

BMW may not want to turn away orders but they may have no choice. I work in the electonics industry and currently we cannot fill all orders for certain products because we do not have the manufacturing capacity.

And increasing capacity is not something that can be done over night. Equipment needs to be ordered, installed, etc. And it may not be profitable to do so if the product is at the end of it's life.

So BMW is probably going to make every 1M they possibly can but it looks like they cannot satisfy demand. This means that many of us, including some who put down deposits, will unfortunately not be able to purchase one.
I had atleast 40 dealerships agree to my offer near invoice pricing and all of them were eager to get the deal done and not a single one indicated I was in line behind anyone. Granted I had numerous dealers turn me away scoffing at my offer, but that was my experience with the 135 as well.

Im not saying there is no interest in this car, but the interest shown and generated on this webpage is not indicative of the excitement in the real world.

The 1 series in 2008 had a similar feeling and in the months leading up to its release certain dealers were touting it as a special hard to get vehicle. I suspect a few months into release the excitement will have dropped and/or most forum members will have ordered their car.

Id be very surprised if anyone is turned away and told they cant have one by the end of the production run. Simply because I think production numbers will meet or exceed demand. How many 135s do you think are sold every year?

Even if somehow demand exceeded production I dont see BMW saying ok I know there are 200 more people that want it, but we arent going to build anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #27
JimBilly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: waiting for the 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
I had atleast 40 dealerships agree to my offer near invoice pricing and all of them were eager to get the deal done and not a single one indicated I was in line behind anyone. Granted I had numerous dealers turn me away scoffing at my offer, but that was my experience with the 135 as well.

Im not saying there is no interest in this car, but the interest shown and generated on this webpage is not indicative of the excitement in the real world.

The 1 series in 2008 had a similar feeling and in the months leading up to its release certain dealers were touting it as a special hard to get vehicle. I suspect a few months into release the excitement will have dropped and/or most forum members will have ordered their car.

Id be very surprised if anyone is turned away and told they cant have one by the end of the production run. Simply because I think production numbers will meet or exceed demand. How many 135s do you think are sold every year?

Even if somehow demand exceeded production I dont see BMW saying ok I know there are 200 more people that want it, but we arent going to build anymore.

I hope you are right. Time wil tell....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #28
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
So BMW is probably going to make every 1M they possibly can but it looks like they cannot satisfy demand
They could if they really wanted to, the M3 production satisfies its demand.

This is the definition of limited production in my book.
      02-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #29
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
My dealer confirmed this too, however he said, "I just saw a video saying that production will be limited to 60 cars per month."

This was nearly immediately after this thread was posted. I talked to him for a little after that about the car and he admited that he was following it very closely. It would not be hard to believe that many dealers are just regurgitating what they read on these forums.

I have little reason to believe that many of them actually know the facts.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #30
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

When you are part of the "forum community" it's very easy to get caught up in the excitement and then the feeling of scarcity and sense of urgency just feeds on itself.

I doubt anyone who wants the car over the next six months and is willing to pay list will get turned away.

Clarkson on the 1M
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #31
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPVPositive View Post
When you are part of the "forum community" it's very easy to get caught up in the excitement and then the feeling of scarcity and sense of urgency just feeds on itself.

I doubt anyone who wants the car over the next six months and is willing to pay list will get turned away.
+1, it's easy to lose sight of that when this forum is your homepage though!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #32
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
I have little reason to believe that many of them actually know the facts.
There seems to be a huge disconnect between what goes on at BMW HQ and the dealers. Atleast in my area, the dealers no absolutely nothing about the cars they're selling. They know the pricing/payment info but nothing about the cars themselves. Kind of sad really.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #33
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impervious View Post
There seems to be a huge disconnect between what goes on at BMW HQ and the dealers. Atleast in my area, the dealers no absolutely nothing about the cars they're selling. They know the pricing/payment info but nothing about the cars themselves. Kind of sad really.

I would have to agree with you there. The dealership here in Colorado has refused deposits up until about a few days ago. Now they are taking deposits but they still seem uncertain about when they will get one or details of the 1M. I even spoke to a different saleman (at the same dealership)to see if they were ALL on the same page. Nope.. The other salesman didnt even know they were taking deposits until the official release of the car. Which he thought was April...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #34
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPVPositive View Post
Unless of course, they're a Military Sales customer

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #35
GeniuneSorny
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M on order

Quote:
Initially we reported the 1M U.S. allocation will run at 60 units per month, but latest rumors say the allocation numbers might slightly increase, more on that in a few days.
They're backing off on that 60/month statement now. Can't wait to see what the actual allocations look like next week.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #36
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP cic, 2021 X5 40i

Garage List
Expecting low volume as well..

For our sales round table video earlier this week with bmw, I also got the impression that each dealer will only get 2-4 cars period.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #37
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtheo View Post
For our sales round table video earlier this week with bmw, I also got the impression that each dealer will only get 2-4 cars period.

Dave
Way to light a fire under our asses.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #38
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Way to light a fire under our asses.
:-)

actually I'm watching the video again right now, just see if I can better clarified
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #39
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
:-)

actually I'm watching the video again right now, just see if I can better clarified
If the above is true then I'm glad I got in at #4. I might still opt to buy a spot or 2 up if I can.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #40
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
It is limited

Quote:
If the above is true then I'm glad I got in at #4. I might still opt to buy a spot or 2 up if I can.

just watched the vid again, here is what is said:
- As of now, this car will only be available for the 2011 model year, no plan for 2012
- an average of 60 to maybe 70 cars per month production
- some dealers will only get 1 car per month, others may get up to 4

Again, they have stressed the fact that it is limited, saying that not every order bank request will be filled.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #41
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
just watched the vid again, here is what is said:
- As of now, this car will only be available for the 2011 model year, no plan for 2012
- an average of 60 to maybe 70 cars per month production
- some dealers will only get 1 car per month, others may get up to 4

Again, they have stressed the fact that it is limited, saying that not every order bank request will be filled.
1 per month? Or one total?

Any word as to how they determine how many a dealer will get? Based on deposits the dealer has taken or the number of cars the dealer sells? I'm guessing it doesn't have to do with deposits but how many cars that dealer sells.

Fortunately my dealer is pretty big.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 03:40 PM   #42
GeniuneSorny
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M on order

Guess that video is where bmwblog got their info since they quoted the same confusing numbers. 1-4 cars per dealer per month would be a ton. 1-4 total would match the other numbers.

The point about not all orders in the bank being filled is more troubling, though. I wonder if that means all orders put in the bank throughout the year or if it means all orders curently in the bank.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #43
dmanges
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe

My dealer is asking for 7-8, 4 for preorders and a couple for the lot. They are hoping to get the preorders filled.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #44
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I see what you're saying but I still think it is too early to make assumptions. The fact that this car has many M3 components tells me that they dont need to manufacture "new" components but perhaps use existing? I dont know what BMW has in store for this car and it seems, that they dont really either? Perhaps all this advertising about its limited productivity is just to try to get more excitement out of potential buyers and to spread the word?

I remember when Chrysler came out with their "Crossfire" for the first time. Remember this car? It was built on a Mercedes SLK chassis, suspension etc etc.... Anyway, they hyped up this car so much that they "thought" they had a pot of gold (big seller). I remember pulling into the dealership one time, with my '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI. They had one of these crossfires in the showroom. I expressed interest (yes they saw me pull up in the Fcar), and they wouldnt let me take the crossfire out unless I had a deposit. They acted like this was a brand new Bugatti Veyron!
Anyway, 8-10 months pass and they couldnt give these cars away.... They practically begged me to come back to test drive and "hopefully" purchase the car... Pffft, I was over it. Thanks anyway but this car wasn't everything Chrysler made it out to be.. Not saying this about the BMW but my point being, lets wait and see what time will tell? Some of you may be right about what you've heard. But, the flip side being, you might be wrong too... Guess we'll have to wait and see

Last edited by DiavelM3; 02-05-2011 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0