BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #67
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm3 View Post
Other than oil, what else do you change at 1200 miles?
Tranny and diff. Both have metal components like the engine that break in in the first 1200 miles or so and deposit metal shavings into their respective oils. Sadly the ediff lacks a drain plug, so you have to pump it out and that isn't nearly as effective as proper drainage. Personally I'm leaving the diff alone and letting it grenade from a "lifetime" fluid so I can just swap it out for a proper LSD(M variable lock most likely).

BMW recommended both those fluid changes right up until they started covering it under warranty.
      06-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #68
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

And so the conspiracy theory is perpetuated...
      06-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #69
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Zymol Carbon and Creame have worked very well for me on my last 4 Bimmers. Easy to apply, lasts a decent amount of time and smells great.
I did use Zymol Carbon when I had my white E30, but I didn't think it lasted very long and it was pricey... It did smell quite good, sorta coconut-like.

I'm currently using Harly Pure Carnuba Paste Wax.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #70
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Tranny and diff. Both have metal components like the engine that break in in the first 1200 miles or so and deposit metal shavings into their respective oils. Sadly the ediff lacks a drain plug, so you have to pump it out and that isn't nearly as effective as proper drainage. Personally I'm leaving the diff alone and letting it grenade from a "lifetime" fluid so I can just swap it out for a proper LSD(M variable lock most likely).
Funny you should mention the diff: My E36's diff blew at 60K miles... A loud bang and one half shaft was hanging outside of the box.

And it was not a cheap repair.
      06-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #71
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Not really a conspiracy theory. They day they started covering fluids under warranty, tranny and diff became "lifetime" and oil change intervals doubled in length.
      06-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #72
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Yes I was debating not waiting until 15k for the first oil change even if I had to pay for it.
Other new cars I've owned in recent years have all gotten away from the early first oil change but those cars also didn't wait 15k miles for the it.
      06-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #73
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Not really a conspiracy theory. They day they started covering fluids under warranty, tranny and diff became "lifetime" and oil change intervals doubled in length.
Yeah, but in other markets where BMW's are sold without prepaid maintenance plans (pretty much everywhere but the US), the fluid change intervals are the same. So in order to believe that the extended OCI is related to the free maintenance, you have to believe that BMW is losing money on less frequent OCI's in every other country they do business in, in order to save money in the US. We're a big market, to be sure, but I don't see the company changing fluid intervals globally for financial benefit in one market. Personally, I think it has more to do with environmental impact and "greening" their fleet. Also, longer OCI's and lifetime-fill fluids are becoming commonplace throughout the industry, even among manufacturers that don't offer "free" maintenance.
      06-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #74
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Yeah, but in other markets where BMW's are sold without prepaid maintenance plans (pretty much everywhere but the US), the fluid change intervals are the same. So in order to believe that the extended OCI is related to the free maintenance, you have to believe that BMW is losing money on less frequent OCI's in every other country they do business in, in order to save money in the US. We're a big market, to be sure, but I don't see the company changing fluid intervals globally for financial benefit in one market. Personally, I think it has more to do with environmental impact and "greening" their fleet. Also, longer OCI's and lifetime-fill fluids are becoming commonplace throughout the industry, even among manufacturers that don't offer "free" maintenance.
+1
      06-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #75
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Simply not true.

BMWUSA covered my '97 E36 based Z3 for the then 3 year/36k warranty period with free "dino" oil CBS changes averaging 7,500 miles, but no tranny or differential changes. The doubling of the oil change interval came with the switch to OEM synthetic in the E46 series introduced in 1999. And the change from 4 year to "lifetime" coolant coverage happened around 2005 or so.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #76
Fox128i
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82

Garage List
2012 128i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Food for thought, thanks.
      06-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #77
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Observations for today:

- More driving in and around the South Bay has me more and more impressed with the performance of the car: the car gets up to speed so rapidly and with little fanfare that I find myself having to constantly check the speedo... Likewise, the handling and grip is way, way superior to my E36: precise, taught, and communicative... Wow.

- After I got back from my drive, I shut off the engine and popped open my hood to let the engine heat dissipate (old habit) and I hear this periodic whizzing/buzzing sound which appeared to be emanating from the A/C compressor... It lasted for a least and hour and had me why the heck it was making this sound.

Sure makes me wish the owners manual would point out these peculiarities so that people like me don't think something's wrong with the car.
      06-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #78
Lynn_228i
AW BMW 228i with Black Dakota Leather Seats
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Unhappy Why would BMW not put a temp gauge in the 128i?

Why would BMW not put a temperature gauge in the 128i? I love my BMW 128i so much due to the handling, the adorable style, the size of the car, the comfort of my seats, my visibility (I took out the back head rests also to help since I am not quite 5 feet), the happy white color and light interior, the HD radio (so much better than my Acura's radio), the effortless power, the ease of merging, the automatic windshield wipers, the push button as I am driving to see the MPG ion the city, the MPG on the HWY, and to see how many miles until I need gas, and it shows me when my next oil change is, etc. BUT I would have loved a temperature gage since I never started my Acura heat or air conditioner until the gauge was in the middle and my car was ready.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #79
Lynn_228i
AW BMW 228i with Black Dakota Leather Seats
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

White & Red were close for me & both would have made me happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
Wow, love my crimson red 128 but white was my second choice. May you love yours as much as I love mine.
I love the crimson red 128i but since I had so many Honda Red Prelude's in my past and then the Desert Silver Metallic Acura RSX, I wanted something different this time so I chose the White. But Red was a close tie and I may have another red car int he futre or even white again.

So far I am really loving my White BMW 128i even a little more than my Honda Prelude that I missed the 8.25 years I drove that hateful Acura RSX that I knew I hated 2 days after buying it and realized my mistake.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #80
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

With respect to oil change intervals I think a couple things. First, it is very hard to judge motives, even of an individual, more so for a company. There are probably a variety of reasons BMW greatly extended the service interval on oil & filter for the engine and eliminated changing other fluids.

I am from the school of thought that suggests more frequent changes help the vehicle last longer. I am aware not everybody believes this is true and some don't care because they think the difference will be seen by the next owner, not them. I'm not saying you are wrong if you are in one of these camps, just that I don't plan to let any of my vehicles see anything approaching 15,000 miles without an oil change. My Japanese SUV gets changed with synthetic every 5,000 miles. My bimmer get's it's oil changed annually which is about 7,000 miles. Once the free changes are up, I will probably switch it to every 5,000 miles too. That is probably more than necessary but the differential in cost is low and I'd rather err on that side. I did two oil changes early and I bought oil change kits from Tischer and United. They are much less costly than a trip to the dealer and are very convenient (stuff is delivered to your house for about $60).

I also changed the differential and manual transmission fluid early (less than 2K miles) and plan to keep doing it. The differential is a pain to suction out but it takes only about a pint to fill it so I will waste an hour every few years to get as much as possible out and refill with new. I like Red Line products for this and use the thicker MTL, not the ATF, in the manual transmission. That makes it shift a little stiffer when cold but I'm used to differential thickness fluid in a manual and cannot see how ATF is the right choice.

I recycle engine oil and generally just dump manual transmission and differential fluid in the same container for recycle. I don't think my more frequent changing hurts the environment. I'm not a tree hugger but as long as it is reasonably convenient for me to help out, I will.

Jim
      06-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #81
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Wow, the fluid changing issue has me totally confused.

On all of my previous bimmers, I always took it in for its break-in (1200 mile) service and they always did it for free... Granted, the last time I had a break-in service was in 1994... It sounds like the rules have changed service-wise, but the owners manual still suggests moderate driving for the first 1200 miles.

When the time comes, I'll call the dealer and ask about the service, if they won't do it, I guess I'll have to do it myself...
      06-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #82
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

They won't do it(for free anyways).

It's pretty commonly accepted around here as needed maintantence:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209718
      06-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #83
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's pretty commonly accepted around here as needed maintantence:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209718
Thanks for the link.

Time to start stocking up the tool kit and consumables for this car...

EDIT: I read somewhere in the forum that I'm supposed to get something in the mail from BMW... A "Welcome Kit?"

Last edited by bmw1racer; 06-18-2012 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #84
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Another observation:

- The location of the window controls has thrown me for a loop at the moment: My E36 had the controls on either side of the console where the shifter is and now they're next to the door handle... Out of habit, I keep grabbing at the console for the controls only to find nothing there...
I know how you feel!

I loved how Euro's had the window controls in the middle. When I hop into another car, I get all confused.

On another note, I'm indifferent about the new twist wheels. I haven't seen them before, at least in person. Maybe because they're smaller than general. Who knows..
      06-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #85
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
On another note, I'm indifferent about the new twist wheels. I haven't seen them before, at least in person. Maybe because they're smaller than general. Who knows..
They look much better in person... And really easy to clean.
      06-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #86
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
It is the Sports Package.

My mistake. Great car!!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #87
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x97Melbourne View Post
My mistake. Great car!!
I see you've jumped into the 128i fray as well... Congrats!
      06-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #88
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Today's observation:

Like all my previous BMWs, the brake pads are soft and give off dust like there's no tomorrow...

In the previous cars, I switched them out with Repco/Axxis pads, but maybe I'll try another brand... Seems like a lot of people here like the Cool Carbons.