BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-30-2014, 06:04 AM   #23
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmartan View Post
Now, if the car goes in they have strict instructions, no updates without my sign-off.
That's what I tell them every time and I want to see it written on my work order. NO SOFTWARE UPDATES! I want it to be very clear. It's my car and my decision.
      03-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #24
2011 135i MSport Conv
Rep
Drives: 2011 M Sport Conv Lemans Blue

Update 3/6/2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 135i MSport Conv View Post
Ok, I've had about every issue with my convertible from throttle response, to just plan old turbo lag. It all started when the original 2011 software was replaced in my car. The dealer that I bought it from had no clue what I was complaining about, and I finally brought the car to a second dealer. There I found a sympathetic ear in the shop foreman.

I told him that I brought the car back to the selling dealer, within one hour of picking up the vehicle, after a software update that was install when I had the VANOS recall taken care of.

He promised me, there and then, if they could not repair my 135i back to what I considered the original performance parameters, he would have a BMW factory engineer brought in. Here is what happened so far.

They updated my car again to the latest software, and I think there was an update in late November. He told me to drive the car and let him know what I thought.

After a few days, and deciding that the performance was not what I remembered at all, I called and asked if he would be good as his word. BMW was called and an appointment was arranged for the factory engineer to perform diagnostics on my car.

The engineer came in his white coat, and a vehicle full of test gear. My car was plugged up, and wired for diagnostics, with the assistance of the shop foreman as well.

Okay guys, here it is. Basically, BMW issued multiple software updates for the 2011 135i, none of which my car had ever had installed. The issue appears to be that the communication between the N55 engine and the DCT transmission was seriously disrupted with literally each of the software updates, and the change in performance is considerable. This problem is finally recognized by BMW, but the needed software patch has not been completed, or at least has not been approved by the EPA, because of changes in emissions or what ever else the EPA may be concerned with in the car.

The engineer manually changed adaptations in the software for my car. The good news is the car returned to its original performance levels. The bad news, the computer will again modify the software, and overtime his programing will be overwritten by new adaptations, and the performance will again degrade.

Right now we are waiting for the completion of the new patch and the approval of the EPA for the software release. This will be the permanent fix for my 2011 vehicle. I would suspicion that this issue exists in each and every year the N55/DCT combination is found in the 135i. As of today, there is no permanent fix. It takes a factory engineer to make the software adaptations, and no dealer is capable of the temporary correction.

Because the EPA is involved, I could not get a firm answer on when the final patch software will be available. No dealer is aware of the actual issue as there is no service information bulletin describing what I have detailed here.

I will be immediately notified to return my vehicle for the new software, as soon as it is available.

Somehow or other, I also managed to have a PPK-1 kit installed at the same time the adaptations were manually added. The change in the performance is unbelievable. The factory tires, which I always hated, are totally inadaquate, and don't even begin to be able to get the power onto the road. I will have to upgrade the tires while I am waiting for the final solution.

I promise to report the SIB number when the new software comes available. This is such an incredible thing. Some people have indeed complained, but the vast majority of owners didn't have a clue about how their 135i had dramatically changed. Boy, are they in for a big surprise.
Update 3/6/2015

During what appears to be the last week in February, BMW issued another SIB for the 135i. While I can not say what the bulletin addresses, the software update that it covers seems to include the long awaited patch for the communications problems with the N55 engine and the DCT.

I have had this update applied to my 2011 vert, and so far, things are really excellent. I should say that the car does have the PPK 1 BMW tune on board also. Performance right now is amazing, and I will wait to see if there are any changes due to the adaptations the computer may make. Hopefully, there will be none.

I will try to ask for the SIB number that references the update next week. In the meantime, it is nice to see the throttle response much improved, and no issue with the turbo lag. All is good for the moment.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #25
pushculture
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT M-Sport

I gave myself an ultimatum that if the lag issue isn't resolved by June 1, I'm selling the car. So this is great news! Thanks for being so persistent with BMW and for keeping us all up to date!

Hopefully my 4th DME update will be the one that finally makes the car feel like the beast that I paid for (and that it stays that way once it has adapted).

My car went out of warranty in January. I have a pile of service records that reference the lag. Do you guys think that since it's an SIB, that BMW would cover the cost of the update even out-of-warranty?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #26
JRMorgan
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 135i MSport Conv View Post
Update 3/6/2015

During what appears to be the last week in February, BMW issued another SIB for the 135i. While I can not say what the bulletin addresses, the software update that it covers seems to include the long awaited patch for the communications problems with the N55 engine and the DCT.

I have had this update applied to my 2011 vert, and so far, things are really excellent. I should say that the car does have the PPK 1 BMW tune on board also. Performance right now is amazing, and I will wait to see if there are any changes due to the adaptations the computer may make. Hopefully, there will be none.

I will try to ask for the SIB number that references the update next week. In the meantime, it is nice to see the throttle response much improved, and no issue with the turbo lag. All is good for the moment.

Hey thanks! My chargepipe broke and my SA called me today actually and said the car is getting another software update. So I came here to look for info. I didn't expect to get info on this so easily. I'll get the car tomorrow and the SIB number should be on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 08:13 PM   #27
kirkbar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Keep us updated. I had SIB 12 15 14 done and still have occasional problems. I have 100 miles left on my warranty!
2011 135i DCT M/Sport Jet Black Cobb STG2+ | M3 Suspension Parts | ERW Charge pipe | VRSF 7 Intercooler | Cobb DP | MFactory LSD w/lockdown | KW V1 Coilovers | Apex ARC-8 | Dinan camber plates | BMS Intake | M3 Cluster & steering wheel | 1M Strut brace
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:33 AM   #28
JRMorgan
Private
Rep

Okay I got my car back. The paperwork shows no SIB info. But I'm telling you it feels like DCT issues are 100% gone! Seriously off the line it behaves like one would expect. It also does not feel detuned. If anything it sounds better and I get mini burbles every now and then. Finally they fixed this car. Everyone should go to the dealer and have this done.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #29
JRMorgan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkbar View Post
Keep us updated. I had SIB 12 15 14 done and still have occasional problems. I have 100 miles left on my warranty!
Go now and get this. The car is better than before. The SA himself said BMW wanted to make sure the car gets this update.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 11:29 AM   #30
EL937
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral Grey M2, 6MT

Is this just for 2011s or for all N55? Seems like most the folks here have 2011s and that is what sparked the conversation. Have a 2013 and experiencing some of the same symptoms mentioned in this thread particularly off the line and low speeds in first/second.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #31
elzorro4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL937 View Post
Is this just for 2011s or for all N55? Seems like most the folks here have 2011s and that is what sparked the conversation. Have a 2013 and experiencing some of the same symptoms mentioned in this thread particularly off the line and low speeds in first/second.
My 135i has a manufactured date of 2012 and I do get the burples. I do have some lag when accelerating and stoping in 1st gear but its not that serious. I dont know the version of the software of my car...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #32
JRMorgan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elzorro4 View Post
My 135i has a manufactured date of 2012 and I do get the burples. I do have some lag when accelerating and stoping in 1st gear but its not that serious. I dont know the version of the software of my car...
This fixes that problem. I really didn't like the lag at all. Very bad for lane changes in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #33
elzorro4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMorgan View Post
This fixes that problem. I really didn't like the lag at all. Very bad for lane changes in traffic.
is there any change in performance? I read on previous posts that the cars seems underpowered, is it true?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #34
JRMorgan
Private
Rep

Quote:
is there any change in performance? I read on previous posts that the cars seems underpowered, is it true?
So from my memory there have been 4 attempts to fix this. And fix number 2 detuned the car. 3 brought it back but I had that for only 1 week. Fix 4 makes it feel like great compromise between the engine sound tuning before any updates and the detuned one which is the one everyone is complaining about.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 05:09 PM   #35
JRMorgan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
What does the description say then if no SIB info? My dealer cannot locate any SIB so I'm trying to give them info.
Quote them 12 15 14. They will probably see it was superseded. That's how I think they found it for me. Because I requested that and they did it and the following week they automatically told me BMW wants this latest update installed. They partially good willed a non covered repair.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:03 PM   #36
JRMorgan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
The response I got from my dealer was that 12 15 14 is the most recent DCT update they could find and is still active. They could not find anything more recent.
At least 2 of us have a more recent update afaik. i can't believe how hard it is to get correct information from this company.

Last edited by JRMorgan; 03-18-2015 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #37
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Sib 12 15 14

Here is 12 15 14...

SIB 12 15 14 N55 WITH DOUBLE-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION: IDLE FLUCTUATES WHEN STOPPED
http://www.scribd.com/doc/151944423/...ing-TSB#scribd
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #38
l2iceman
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Here is 12 15 14...

SIB 12 15 14 N55 WITH DOUBLE-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION: IDLE FLUCTUATES WHEN STOPPED
http://www.scribd.com/doc/151944423/...ing-TSB#scribd
Thanks Dackelone! By any chance, do you have a PDF version of this?

I called the local BMW service department and they said nothing was on file for a service bulletin or update to the DCT transmission. Worst case, I can screenshot/print the website for details and bring it to the dealer and hope they'll do it. I've got an appointment for a recall for VANOS bolts on Wednesday, was hoping they could update the DME while at it, but unless they find the bulletin article on it in their system...

Edit: My car's warranty expired earlier this month (picked it up recently) - would this update be at no-cost to me? and is it possible for a coder to do this? I've seen threads about people updating the firmware on their DCT on the e9x m3s, so just curious.

Last edited by l2iceman; 03-19-2015 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 03:16 PM   #39
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Quote:
No. I've had mine now for 5-6 months. Love it. No stutters, lags or stalls. Rising idle at stop fixed.

Makes the car totally drivable. But I do have PPK1 so no telling what would happen if I didnt.

Edit: even if you lost a tenth of a second 0-60 wouldn't it be worth it to have a car that you could live with? I almost came to the point of dumping the car but bmw kept trying. Enough phone calls to corporate probably helped as well as the dealer being an advocate for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 06:16 PM   #40
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2iceman View Post
Thanks Dackelone! By any chance, do you have a PDF version of this?

I called the local BMW service department and they said nothing was on file for a service bulletin or update to the DCT transmission. Worst case, I can screenshot/print the website for details and bring it to the dealer and hope they'll do it. I've got an appointment for a recall for VANOS bolts on Wednesday, was hoping they could update the DME while at it, but unless they find the bulletin article on it in their system...

Edit: My car's warranty expired earlier this month (picked it up recently) - would this update be at no-cost to me? and is it possible for a coder to do this? I've seen threads about people updating the firmware on their DCT on the e9x m3s, so just curious.

Sorry, I do not have the PDF on this SIB.

I think your dealer should open a PUMA case for you. Even though your car is out of warranty... hopefully they will "good will" this for you. Worst case would be they charge you (two) hours labor to do an SW update. All you need to do is give them the SIB #12 15 14. But having it printed out for them ahead of time - would not hurt either!

Make sure your engine SW is updated. Most 1Addicts seem to think its an engine SW tuning problem and not so much a DCT sw issue.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 07:12 PM   #41
l2iceman
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Ah ok, Yea I don't mind paying the two hrs of labour if this fixed any issues. I'll have to check the dealer service records to see if an engine software update was ever done.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #42
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Quote:

Make sure your engine SW is updated. Most 1Addicts seem to think its an engine SW tuning problem and not so much a DCT sw issue.

Good Luck,
Dackel
I would like to add that it's not just the N55 DCT but this issue has been on my e88 with N51 AT as well, 128i never had DCT. I dont directly know the data but clearly more N55 DCT owners have been the squeaky wheel to have BMW take notice. I was SIB 12 09 12 updated in May 2014 after 3rd service apt. and the first 2 being told it was fuel injection or carbon build up.

Like many of you the update last year fixed the idle/stall issue but seemed to create 3 new issues less in nature, frustrating none the less.
1) Sport mode is stymied and pedal response deadened.
2) On cold start warm up if the car has sat more then 30hrs the car starts rough, shakes and wobbles like a message chair for 20-40seconds
3) After warm up the car lunges and lurches as if the idle issue is not resolved but now the computer is catching the issue before it stalls. However the number of times the idle issue returns is greatly reduced.

Does the SW update SIB 12 15 14 list only DCT or does it offer more engine options then N55?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #43
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post

Does the SW update SIB 12 15 14 list only DCT or does it offer more engine options then N55?
SIB 12 15 14 is only for the DCT N55 135i's.

Perhaps there is a SIB for your 128i. Your dealer should open a PUMA case so BMW NA can research your problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #44
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Quote:
SIB 12 15 14 is only for the DCT N55 135i's.

Perhaps there is a SIB for your 128i. Your dealer should open a PUMA case so BMW NA can research your problem.
Just had it in for VANOS recall and inquired, tech says BMW the latest is installed already. I also contacted BMW by phone and got nowhere really. Then again I'm the one that found the link to the N55 DCT pdf. SIB 12 09 12 idle fix for my SA and BMW service. That link does not show an N51 but another link I found does show that engine issue. One confession my SA made is being in the mid-west he has 0 other clients who have an N51 SULEV.

So East and West coast techs have any advise or knowledge on this same but different fix?

Note: My car brings me thousands of smiles a month and these sw glitches bring me 3what the hells, 2 WTF's a month for perspective sake.
Appreciate 1