BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Closed Thread

10-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #111
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

So, from a technical brilliance point of view down to a greater sense of passion, judging by the majority of the forum opinions and by Autocar's classification, we have the following order:

Sense of Passion -> less.............................................. ........................greater

........................................Cayman R > Cayman S > BMW M3 > BMW 1M

.............................greater.............. .................................................. .less<- Technical Brilliance

I kinda like this classification... I think it's accurate in a certain sense.

From a merely rational point of view the better car for daily-drive will be the one that exhibts the best balance between the two extremes. That would be:

Either the Cayman S (2 seater) or the BMW M3 (four seater)

As a Cayman owner, I knew I liked this classification... As a BMW 'fanboy', well... I like the 'little one' more.

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 10-19-2011 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #112
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Randy Pobst's main focus is on the the technical brilliance which is what counts on the track. So, that is also his own classification. No wonder he 'hated' the 1M!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #113
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Way too many contradictions in logic in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
Cayman R > Cayman S > BMW M3 > BMW 1M
I disagree with you that the Cayman R has less "passion" than the Cayman S (and many other things). It's a more involving car to drive, at least in part due to its more focused setup. Passion and technical brilliance aren't necessarily mutually exclusive (see Ferrari 458). To give another extreme, a VW Passat has neither technical brilliance, nor passion.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #114
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
Passion and technical brilliance aren't necessarily mutually exclusive (see Ferrari 458).
None is saying they are. Those that have both in equal great measure are the VERY special cars.

Quote:
To give another extreme, a VW Passat has neither technical brilliance, nor passion.
Those are truly the bad cars.

Quote:
I disagree with you that the Cayman R has less "passion" than the Cayman S (and many other things). It's a more involving car to drive, at least in part due to its more focused setup.
Is the Cayman R truly special then?! Autocar says it is... better than the GT3 RS.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #115
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

An old colleague of mine used to have a saying...'when the horse is dead, dismount'.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #116
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
An old colleague of mine used to have a saying...'when the horse is dead, dismount'.
So why are you still beating in it?

You say this:

Quote:

If you want to know how the 1M is as a drivers car ask one of us who live with it daily on and off track and have experience with other cars to compare. (real world cars, not $200k McLaren's)

Also don't pay too much attention to those on the forum who haven't even seen a 1M in person let alone drive on but choose to make judgements on the cars abilities based on a magazine.

Then you readly post a link to a magazine review that, by mere coincidence of course , is very favorable to the 1M. Not that it was important:

Quote:
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread