BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Bman
Rep
Drives: 400bhp A4

MY10 & MY11 135i

Hey all,

Some questions re newer 135i

Is Aus getting the new N55 motor? And if so when would that be?

Secondly, DCT. How do you identify DCT apart from the ads?
I've read that the conventional semi-auto has one paddle serving the sole function of up/down. So I assume any interior picture with 2 paddles, the car must be fitted with the DCT box.
Although, all the ads on carsales still mention 6 speed semi-auto. I guess this is a carsales lack of update regarding the model?

The big thing for me is the N55, if we don't get that, it would almost be a deal breaker unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman View Post
Hey all,

I've read that the conventional semi-auto has one paddle serving the sole function of up/down. So I assume any interior picture with 2 paddles, the car must be fitted with the DCT box.
Although, all the ads on carsales still mention 6 speed semi-auto. I guess this is a carsales lack of update regarding the model?

The big thing for me is the N55, if we don't get that, it would almost be a deal breaker unfortunately.
Welcome, Bman.

Firstly, read this http://www.1addicts.com/forums/annou....php?f=245&a=2

n55 is already here. You're probably not going to find many DCT on carsales just now given they're < 1 year old.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman View Post
Hey all,

Is Aus getting the new N55 motor? YES
And if so when would that be? NOW
Secondly, DCT. How do you identify DCT apart from the ads? FUNNY SHAPED GLOSSY KNOB
BUT... 2 turbos are better than 1 (sort of a "mine's bigger than yours")
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Bman
Rep

Just got done going through most of the 1st hand feedback upon the DCT. No complaints of jerkiness, hill starts (ie clutch engagement delay). Sounds good!

I guess this is the knob to look out for

Bangle, cheaper to replace 1 and easier to go big (space dependant)

One thing I haven't seen mentioned or really talked about is the PCV plumbing differences. I've read all the threads here about carbon buildup but no one's stuck a cam down their inlet manifold to take a peak at the inlet valves apart from this ref :this I'll look that up later.
I know that GM(or was it Ford with the new 3.0 SHO) have introduced a type of CC within their PCV system on their DI cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
Bman
Rep

Picture of the inlet valves can be seen here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8090
This person was running Meth.
Doesn't specify 100% Meth or a mix as well as full setup: injection location, nozzle size, pump etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Hey Bman, firstly welcome to the boards You'll find it an invaluable source of first hand info/experiences from owners.

The others have already answered your questions above so hopefully you found what you were looking for.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 03:50 AM   #7
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Welcome to the forum, the others had already answered your questions. However, DCT is a lot faster than the auto and it is 7 speed. I am not 100% sure and someone who owns a DCT N55 can chip in, but I think the paddles are left (-) and right (+) like the IS?

N55 vs N54 - the latest comparison out there seems to say N55 has less lag than N54, but it runs out of steam earlier. You also have to consider if you will be modding the car. If so, the N54 is the way to go at the moment.
Appreciate 0