BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-15-2011, 04:42 AM   #1
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

N52 Supercharger kit nearing production:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Muirhe...34190023286093

keeping my eye on this, mm.

they have nice headers, and other goodies... lets see if they can produce though. will be interesting no?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
ARMA has landed in Australia through Bobby Wilson Motorsport in Alexandria.

Bobby is currently fitting the SC kit to his one thirty. They also offer the full exhaust system as well, including the tune for the SC.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
Mechz
Naturally Aspirated Fiend
Rep
Drives: 130i

Will be good to see what it's like compared to the turbos.

Would love a good whine coming from under my bonnet.
      12-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
dtcoff
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 M235i

I already have a whine coming from the left seat.....
      12-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

MMW has been working on that N52 supercharger for ages, goodluck to them, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
Mechz
Naturally Aspirated Fiend
Rep
Drives: 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcoff View Post
I already have a whine coming from the left seat.....
That's easily fixed by the + button on your steering wheel.
      12-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Yes

The N52 is a aluminium/magnesium composite block engine. It is designed to be lightweight and for sub 200kw this is a good tradeoff. Increasing the stress on the engine with forced induction is not a good idea.

Its the "Camry" of BMW engines and designed to be economical and meet euro standards. If you want to beef up the N52 then you should try and find ways to mitigate the fuel efficiency devices i.e. DISA.

If you want to experiment, try and force the 2nd DISA actuator to be open at all times (3rd stage of the manifold). This should allow the maximum volume of air in the manifold be available at much lower rpms. Might not make the peak hp any higher but might give more power down low.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i coupe

I thought we didn't get the 3 stage manifold?
      12-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
MMW has been working on that N52 supercharger for ages, goodluck to them, but I'll believe it when I see it.
yeah, i've been reading a lot of sentiment like this. don't get the hate really

they've come good on their headers, and they look sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn05 View Post
The N52 is a aluminium/magnesium composite block engine. It is designed to be lightweight and for sub 200kw this is a good tradeoff. Increasing the stress on the engine with forced induction is not a good idea.

Its the "Camry" of BMW engines and designed to be economical and meet euro standards. If you want to beef up the N52 then you should try and find ways to mitigate the fuel efficiency devices i.e. DISA.

If you want to experiment, try and force the 2nd DISA actuator to be open at all times (3rd stage of the manifold). This should allow the maximum volume of air in the manifold be available at much lower rpms. Might not make the peak hp any higher but might give more power down low.
if it's alu/mg, that means it's also super strong (magnesium being brilliant!)

what's the deal with this DISA actuator thing? :/

even shitty 1.8L jap econobox engines can handle a daily 6-8lb's of boost on stock internals, it'd be disappointing if the N52 would lunch at low boost considering that.. most of the 'economy' comes from the fairly long gear ratio in 6th (so low revs at highway speeds), anyway...

EDIT: wow, i had no idea HOW light this engine was... only 161kg? wiki says it's the highest power to weight out of all 6cyl engines ever, that's just cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
ARMA has landed in Australia through Bobby Wilson Motorsport in Alexandria.

Bobby is currently fitting the SC kit to his one thirty. They also offer the full exhaust system as well, including the tune for the SC.
detials on this? :/

i googled 'bobbby wilson motorsport' no results.

ED: huh
http://www.armaspeed.com/eng/goods.php?act=cat&no=60
already has a supercharger kit for the 130i? seems like pretty impressive power figures quoted there for stock exhaust >_>

Last edited by flinchy; 12-17-2011 at 12:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
Blauweisser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M-Sport

I seem to remember being told that due to the possibility of electrochemical interaction between the Al and the Mg, they put a high temperature polymer coating on the Al surfaces before the Mg is cast around them. I understand a limiting factor on blowing the N52 motor is that exposure to the constantly higher temperatures generated in turbo and supercharged motors can breakdown the barrier between the Al and Mg and lead to electrochemical corrosion.

I have read that the N52 is actually a more highly developed motor than the N54, which is all-Al construction, and can handle the higher temperatures.

Mg, while being very light, is also quite soft and its alloys are of lower strength and wear resistance compared to those of Al. Its chief virtue is lightness. I understand that the Al alloys used in wear surfaces in the motor is an Al-Si hyper-eutectic alloy.

There might be merit in getting some expert advice on the advisability of stressing the N52 motor too much. I probably wouldn't go beyond modifying it to the extent of that installed in North American 128i's. Here's a link to the Wikipedia article on the N52:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N52
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #11
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blauweisser View Post
I seem to remember being told that due to the possibility of electrochemical interaction between the Al and the Mg, they put a high temperature polymer coating on the Al surfaces before the Mg is cast around them. I understand a limiting factor on blowing the N52 motor is that exposure to the constantly higher temperatures generated in turbo and supercharged motors can breakdown the barrier between the Al and Mg and lead to electrochemical corrosion.

I have read that the N52 is actually a more highly developed motor than the N54, which is all-Al construction, and can handle the higher temperatures.

Mg, while being very light, is also quite soft and its alloys are of lower strength and wear resistance compared to those of Al. Its chief virtue is lightness. I understand that the Al alloys used in wear surfaces in the motor is an Al-Si hyper-eutectic alloy.

There might be merit in getting some expert advice on the advisability of stressing the N52 motor too much. I probably wouldn't go beyond modifying it to the extent of that installed in North American 128i's. Here's a link to the Wikipedia article on the N52:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N52
googling around shows quite a few FI N52's, none of which seem to have had issues yet

the motor also seems to be a fair bit more complicated than just mg and al slapped together

like some people have said, if they wanted to keep it all weak, why not less al more mg, save some money on it in the process too.

though, yeah, aren't the cylinders/sleeves silicone?

i'll be keeping my eye on it all regardless, it's quite interesting.
Appreciate 0