BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-09-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Alignment settings

Just had my first alignment done yesterday, although camber was okay, the toe got a bit funny: Front - -0.4mm (L), +.1 (R), and rears +0.8, +1.5. My fronts and rears are starting to be chewed.

They have set it to 1mm fronts and 3mm rears yesterday, and drop from 39 all round to 39 fronts 35 rears. My immediate thought when I picked the car up, is it won't turn-in but I have got a lot more traction from the rears. Despite initial understeer on a fast corner 90km/h+ (80+ in the 135i), I can hold the line and was able to accelerate out wit a lot more traction.

Not happy with the turn-in, I took it back and they have readjust the fronts to +0.3mm. Now, I am very happy with the turn in, but with the same fast corner, I am getting understeer in mid-corner. Would dropping the rear-toe back a bit help? Or should I try drop the front toe to neutral?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Alignment on this car is a joke - My tyre replacer told me there is no caster adjustment.
At least constant pulling to the left helps take my mind off the misfire and stalling!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

I've got my specs somewhere, I'll try dig them up...

But I find the car loses its alignment rather quickly if you know what I mean. i.e. camber just pops out and the car loves to sit with neg camber all the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
ansch
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Just had my first alignment done yesterday, although camber was okay, the toe got a bit funny: Front - -0.4mm (L), +.1 (R), and rears +0.8, +1.5. My fronts and rears are starting to be chewed.

They have set it to 1mm fronts and 3mm rears yesterday, and drop from 39 all round to 39 fronts 35 rears. My immediate thought when I picked the car up, is it won't turn-in but I have got a lot more traction from the rears. Despite initial understeer on a fast corner 90km/h+ (80+ in the 135i), I can hold the line and was able to accelerate out wit a lot more traction.

Not happy with the turn-in, I took it back and they have readjust the fronts to +0.3mm. Now, I am very happy with the turn in, but with the same fast corner, I am getting understeer in mid-corner. Would dropping the rear-toe back a bit help? Or should I try drop the front toe to neutral?
I am assuming 3mm on the rear is toe in, and now you have almost zero toe (0.3mm toe in) on the front. I would go for zero toe front and maybe 1-2mm toe in to keep the rear end in check. In general, toe in gives you more stability, and toe out is the opposite, less stable (read: more responsive) But obviously too much either way and you wear out your tyres.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 02:54 AM   #5
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
What's your mileage?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 03:02 AM   #6
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
I've got my specs somewhere, I'll try dig them up...

But I find the car loses its alignment rather quickly if you know what I mean. i.e. camber just pops out and the car loves to sit with neg camber all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansch View Post
I am assuming 3mm on the rear is toe in, and now you have almost zero toe (0.3mm toe in) on the front. I would go for zero toe front and maybe 1-2mm toe in to keep the rear end in check. In general, toe in gives you more stability, and toe out is the opposite, less stable (read: more responsive) But obviously too much either way and you wear out your tyres.
Yeah, thinking about putting more front camber and dial out toe to zero. The problem with mid corner may be due to higher entry speed.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 04:45 AM   #7
ansch
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Yeah, thinking about putting more front camber and dial out toe to zero. The problem with mid corner may be due to higher entry speed.
that too don't mistake the car understeering with the driving over cooking it
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #8
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Sparoz.. are you still running stock suspension setup?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 06:07 AM   #9
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

F*#k sakes... ipad crashed twice while typing this, only reason I went to apple is things doesn't crash . Now, Macbook out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansch View Post
that too don't mistake the car understeering with the driving over cooking it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Sparoz.. are you still running stock suspension setup?
Yes, still stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
So Steve, stupid question maybe, but can't you put back to factory settings?
Factory setting is 1.8mm fronts and 0.9mm rears toe in. Record from PD my alignment was set at 1.4mm fronts, 1.0mm LR, and 0.9mm RR toe ins. After seeing what my alignment was the manager made the executive decision to use their tried M3 settings. Who knows I have been driving with the -0.4mm left front toe. When I am trying to sort it out the next day I understand why he did the settings, and changing it back to factory won't help my sensitivity problem. I think I had been enjoying the immediate steering from the close to neutral toe and going back to factory will just dial the slow fronts with a slippery rear end.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 06:06 AM   #10
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

"Accurate Suspension" set my 135 front toe to 0mm both sides. Feels good.
edit - BTW, I'm running M3 front control arms and bar.

Last edited by TimMc; 11-15-2011 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #11
CrustyNoodle
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Toe out on the front will increase turn-in but make things a little unstable in a straight line. You could counteract this to some extent if you add positive caster but I'm not sure is possible on the 1er.

For more mid corner grip in the front or on corner exit, you could increase rear bar/reduce front bar or reduce front ride height/increase rear ride height, reduce front droop, increase rear roll centre.... Oops! getting a bit carried away now!

Seriously though add more front toe out and pop the pins on the front top caps to get a bit of neg camber.

Don't toe out your rears - it's a recipe for disaster