BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-17-2008, 12:53 AM   #1
baduncadonk
Former 2002tii Owner
Rep
Drives:

My tii wheels are almost here -- HELP!

My BMW Performance "tii" wheels are on a UPS truck, on their way from Leith BMW.

The tii wheels are going on my 135i (along with H&R swaybars and KW v2 coilovers) before I leave on June 1st to solo-drive my 1 from San Francisco to North Carolina, Virginia, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, and then back to San Francisco by June 21st.

Can anyone give a recommendation as to whether I should switch my stock tires (with just 1,500 miles on them) over to the new tii rims, or should I buy a fresh set of new tires for the tii rims? I am not really worried about cost of buying new tires--if there is a really good reason not to reuse the stock tires on the new wheels, I can always just keep the stock tires and stock wheels in the garage for some future use.

Also, and perhaps most importantly, does anyone have a cogent recommendation as to whether I should just put OEM run-flat tires on the new tii wheels, or should I switch to another tire model entirely--maybe even a non-RF tire?

Please keep in mind that this car is a daily-driver and I sometimes drive to odd places in the middle of nowhere. I am pretty sure I don't want to deal with flatting a non-RF tire in Death Valley with no spare in the trunk. Is there a workable solution that would let me run on PS2 tires, but not live in fear of waiting hours for a tow truck in brutal heat/cold?

Thanks so much to everyone who takes the time to read the preceding and give an opinion!

:roundel:

RIP: '08 BMW 135i -- Vishnu, Riss intake, H&R sways, KW Variant 2 coilovers, Sprintbooster, Riss Racing catted downpipes, BMW Performance exhaust, tii wheels, cross-drilled rotors, M door sills, 8500K Angel Eyes, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 01:41 AM   #2
gizmo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

I am in a bit of a similar situation...

I daily drive my 135 and generally depend on it full time. I'm ordering a set of wheels in the next week or two and plan to use my stock RFTs until they are worn out. At that point, I will be switching to a non-RFT tire for several reasons: performance, noise, ride comfort, cost.

I have a cell phone, bmw sos, and I plan to carry a can of "fix-a-flat" that I'll use if I'm really in a bind.

I've driven a lot of miles in the past 10 years and have yet to experience a flat. *knock on wood*
      05-17-2008, 04:29 AM   #3
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

two solutions.
1) Carry these two items and go to non-RFT

http://leatherz.com/Merchant2/mercha...etyConvenience

2) Buy a electric pump and a tire repair kit.

Of course the first option prepares you against all odds, even if the tire has a gaping hole. But I have never heard of anyone's tires blowing up, so i think option 2 is your best bet. Just monitor your tire pressure, and make sure they are properly inflated before you head out on long trips.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

why not just stick with the stock tires and wheels and replace them when you get back? for that long a trip, i'd second the recommendation to bring a donut. that way you will have some peace of mind over sidewall puncture damage.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
rossii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice1 View Post
why not just stick with the stock tires and wheels and replace them when you get back? for that long a trip, i'd second the recommendation to bring a donut. that way you will have some peace of mind over sidewall puncture damage.
Agreed........use your stock tires no need to change them. Plus if you do have an issue you dont have to worry about changing or fixing the tire on the side of the road. One less thing to worry about.

Sounds like a great trip......hope you have a V1.
      05-18-2008, 01:11 AM   #6
baduncadonk
Former 2002tii Owner
Rep
Drives:

As always, ichiban, thanks so much for your quick and cogent advice!

Is the consensus that the PS2 is the best non-RFT tire for the 135i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
two solutions.
1) Carry these two items and go to non-RFT

2) Buy a electric pump and a tire repair kit.

Of course the first option prepares you against all odds, even if the tire has a gaping hole. But I have never heard of anyone's tires blowing up, so i think option 2 is your best bet. Just monitor your tire pressure, and make sure they are properly inflated before you head out on long trips.

RIP: '08 BMW 135i -- Vishnu, Riss intake, H&R sways, KW Variant 2 coilovers, Sprintbooster, Riss Racing catted downpipes, BMW Performance exhaust, tii wheels, cross-drilled rotors, M door sills, 8500K Angel Eyes, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 03:33 AM   #7
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

I'd say keep the stock wheels and tires on until you return home to avoid the rock chips and scratches. Then put on the performance wheels and do a new set of non RFT's. My reccomendation is Bridgestone Potenzas...

Best of luck and again, pictures of my 135 w/ BMW Performance wheels will be posted tomorrow afternoon.

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0