BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #23
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDiem View Post
-Beige Interior
You might to re-think that color: It's higher maintenance and will probably discolor over time (between the oft-used seats and the rarely used ones)...
      11-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #24
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
^^^ Great posts, all.

I really did appreciate your responses.

To prove your posts did not go in vain, here is my preliminary order for December, subject to change at the last minute, lol:

-2013 BMW 128i
-White Exterior
-Beige Interior (love Terracotta, but I have two sports cars & I want to keep the options/cost limited, b/c this will be my inclement weather automobile)
-Auto (Wife can't drive manual, and I want her to enjoy the little Bimmer too - Moreover, my wife lets me enjoy my toys, so this is my way of showing my appreciation for my wife not giving me any backlash/headache for my passion for cars & motorcycles). Happy Wife/Happy Life, lol.
-Heated Seats ("must have" inasmuch that this will be my DD & winter beater - For snow conditions, the SAV is the vehicle of choice)
-Heated Steering Wheel ("must have"- the wife loves the heated seat/heated steering wheel options on her SAV)
-Sport Seats ("must have" if I don't order the Sport Pkg. This stand alone option is inexpensive at $400 dollars)

On the Fence, still:

-Moonroof (the wife would appreciate it. I've only used the moonroof on my Scion, once! I could live w/o it...)
-Sport Pkg (Inasmuch that I already own two sports cars, I don't think I would miss this pkg; however, who am I kidding. It's why I own two toys... The spontaneous side of me says I want it, but the practical side of me says I should save the $1500 dollars, and just get the sport seats at $400 dollars...)
In all honesty, if it were not for those fugly Sport Pkg wheels, I'd be all over the Sport Pkg. I just despise those multi spoke sport wheels.
I'm not really into adding aftermarket wheels if I like the standard wheels, and the standard wheels are pretty sharp, not to mention easy to clean, lol...

That's how I view it. I think the HK stereo is out. I gotta tell ya, I have the top end stereo in my wife's SAV, and I'm not that impressed with it...

Your comments/opinions were valuable b/c my dealer rarely carries a nice mix of 1 series vehicles to cross shop...

Tks all/Cheers

BB
Sport package is a must plus xenon.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #25
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
a BMW Performance Exhaust. We didn't go for the upgraded sound system or the Xenon lights (nearly $2000 savings there). but I'd definitely get the Sport package. Having driven a non-Sport 128i during our buying process, I can tell you that it's a major difference in driving dynamics and overall feel. Premium package on a 1-series really didn't seem worth it - you can buy the heated seat option separately, and the rest seems a little superfluous on a car this size and also for your stated purpose.
^^^
Great posts, Gents...

roundel335: What is you honest assessment of the perf exhaust? This is something I planned to add, just for the ear candy alone. Was it worth the price, sound increase? Did you mount or did the dealer mount the perf exh? Did you purchase through the internet or through your dealer?

Sport Pkg is in. Now, all I have to do is exchange those awful looking sport wheels, lol. roundel335, Tks for sharing your experience with the base suspension and the sport suspension. Your impression of the two, to include everyone else's, essentially swayed my vote. Agreed about the Premium Pkg...

bmw1racer: Good point about the tan interior, but my wife loathes black interiors with white exteriors. I have a great wife (I know this & I appreciate this), and I'll acquiesce on this option, lol...

the1andonly Agreed about the auto! I read the article in the Roundel about the 128i with the six speed, as being the purest/most enjoyable Bimmer in the stable... The benefit is that my wife can't/refuses to drive my other vehicles, lol...

The only option left on the fence is the darn Moonroof.

Tks again all!

BB
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #26
Giancarlo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135

If the only thing stopping you from getting the sports pkg is the wheels, I definetly think you can find a used set easily of the stock wheels, even a trade would not be too hard. So go for it.

As far as the moonroof, hey, I think even in resale you will pick up the value of the moonroof and make the wife happy.

Something I forgot to mention that somebody did mention is the fatter steering wheel, it is one of the things that I love about my car.

Good luck on the choice and enjoy the new car!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #27
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
bmw1racer: Good point about the tan interior, but my wife loathes black interiors with white exteriors. I have a great wife (I know this & I appreciate this), and I'll acquiesce on this option, lol...
If she were the one that had to clean and treat the seats, she might think differently.

Quote:
The only option left on the fence is the darn Moonroof.
I sorta miss having one: The cabin of the 128i is so quiet, I miss hearing the rush of air streaming past the sunroof/moonroof... Cracking the side windows open isn't the same.
      11-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #28
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

-2013 BMW 128i
-White Exterior
-Beige Interior
-Auto
-Heated Seats
-Heated Steering Wheel
-Sport Package

..?

Solid choice. i would stay firm on all of those options, you will thank yourself later.
Only thing i would personally swap would be to the oyster or teracotta two tone interior. Makes the car feel much more robust with the two tone. I have all black interior and auto and the two things i long for are terracotta and 6mt.
      11-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #29
youngdoc1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 M40i

Suspension:
Have you had a chance to drive the sports vs. non-sports suspensions back to back? I found the sports suspension to be too stiff so I decided to avoid it. Also, I was coming from a Jetta 1.8T with sports suspension package and had gotten sick of the back-breaking ride. The standard suspension on the 128i was tight enough for me, and perfect balance between comfort and handling!

Seats:
Also, leatherette vs. leather interior is a debate that has been going on for years. I'd say the leather is a little bit softer and the colours (especially Terra Cotta) are sexier, but they do tend to wear and require more upkeep. I would say go for the sport seats either way .

Sunroof:
After having my car since June, I've opened the sunroof probably 3-4 times total. If it was included in some kind of package with something else you wanted, I'd say go for it, but otherwise it's one of those things that (IMO) you will almost never use.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #30
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Giancarlo: Good points. I'll certainly look to trade the wheels, or perhaps buy non-oem wheels. I like five spoke rims with thin spokes. They are easy to clean & maintain, considering the soft brake pads that spew brake dust on the wheels... As a DD, easily maintained and clean wheels are essential. I've got a bit of OCD, lol... I love the fat M-Sport steering wheel in my wife's SAV. So yeah, Sport pkg is definately in.

Giancarlo/bmw1race: Moonroof is in. I'm certain my wife will want/appreciate this option.

golf_234: I really love the Terracotta leather, but at $2k, it's money I don't want to spend. If the 1 series was my one and only toy, then you betcha, I'd order the 135is in white or silver with the Terracotta leather interior.

BTW all: I'm doing this without the knowledge of my wife... She thinks I'm content with the Scion (she kids me every now and then about driving a school girl's car), but little does she know that the 128i will also bring her as much joy as her X3. She'll be as thrilled as me when it arrives!

Tks all!

Cheerio/BB
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #31
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Quote:
Giancarlo: Good points. I'll certainly look to trade the wheels, or perhaps buy non-oem wheels. I like five spoke rims with thin spokes. They are easy to clean & maintain, considering the soft brake pads that spew brake dust on the wheels... As a DD, easily maintained and clean wheels are essential. I've got a bit of OCD, lol... I love the fat M-Sport steering wheel in my wife's SAV. So yeah, Sport pkg is definately in.

Giancarlo/bmw1race: Moonroof is in. I'm certain my wife will want/appreciate this option.

golf_234: I really love the Terracotta leather, but at $2k, it's money I don't want to spend. If the 1 series was my one and only toy, then you betcha, I'd order the 135is in white or silver with the Terracotta leather interior.

BTW all: I'm doing this without the knowledge of my wife... She thinks I'm content with the Scion (she kids me every now and then about driving a school girl's car), but little does she know that the 128i will also bring her as much joy as her X3. She'll be as thrilled as me when it arrives!

Tks all!

Cheerio/BB
cass

haha. oh, sorry didnt realize this whole time that option was 2k lol
what are the interior options for leatherette? just black or tan?
      11-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #32
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngdoc1 View Post
Suspension:
Have you had a chance to drive the sports vs. non-sports suspensions back to back? I found the sports suspension to be too stiff so I decided to avoid it. Also, I was coming from a Jetta 1.8T with sports suspension package and had gotten sick of the back-breaking ride. The standard suspension on the 128i was tight enough for me, and perfect balance between comfort and handling!

Seats:
Also, leatherette vs. leather interior is a debate that has been going on for years. I'd say the leather is a little bit softer and the colours (especially Terra Cotta) are sexier, but they do tend to wear and require more upkeep. I would say go for the sport seats either way .

Sunroof:
After having my car since June, I've opened the sunroof probably 3-4 times total. If it was included in some kind of package with something else you wanted, I'd say go for it, but otherwise it's one of those things that (IMO) you will almost never use.
^^^ Just when I think I have what I want, here comes your post, lol!!!

I may have to test drive them to decide...

I agree with you 100%, and this is why I opened this up for discussion. I'm not 100% certain of the Moonroof...

I am certain of leatherette over leather...

Tks for sharing!

BB
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #33
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
cass

haha. oh, sorry didnt realize this whole time that option was 2k lol
what are the interior options for leatherette? just black or tan?
Black or tan. That's it...

I figured for a DD, leatherette will wear much better than leather, not to mention the huge price increase for leather...

Cheers/BB
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #34
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Sport package is a must. As far as Auto vs Manual I've driven both and the auto is still a wonderful driving experience not that much different from a manual. OK, maybe 90% as much fun as the manual but still a outstanding car and really really fun to drive. and getting a car your wife can enjoy too is the right thing to do.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #35
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My data is from 2009 so it could be different for 2013s. I bought a convertible which was my primary requirement plus the sport package and walnut interior trim. Nothing else. My vert is white with a black top and beige interior. It is not hard to keep clean but the graining in the leatherette is deep enough I have to use a brush with the cleaner where my elbow sits about once a year. No big deal.

I mainly wanted the sports seats but I do an occasional autocross and wanted better handling too. I also like the wheels my year. I think the base is 17s now but in 2009 it was 16 inch wheels that I did not find attractive.

The base radio in 2009 was the mid level in a lot of the world and has the 8 inch speakers under the seats and the tweeters in the doors. I think it is fine. Later, I think it was late in 2009, they went to the lowest level system as the base. I believe they are back to the mid level system as the base. That makes a big difference to me. If you have tweeters in the doors in the current base system then it is pretty decent sterio, at least that is my view of mine.

I added a Garmin GPS with bluetooth on it and a remote microphone to add that capability. I initially used a BMW bracket to mount the Garmin but just last weekend changed to a bracket that puts the Garmin on the left of the instruments. Pictures and a little description of that is in my thread "Garmin on the Left".

I'm very happy with the end result.

Jim
      11-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #36
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
i would absolutely get the sport package for the seats alone. The seats are a solid upgrade from the regular seats.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #37
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
i would absolutely get the sport package for the seats alone. The seats are a solid upgrade from the regular seats.
+1
      11-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #38
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I like five spoke rims with thin spokes. They are easy to clean & maintain, considering the soft brake pads that spew brake dust on the wheels... As a DD, easily maintained and clean wheels are essential. I've got a bit of OCD, lol...
I've got five-spoke rims with my 2012 Sports Package and they're quite easy to clean... Also, the stock brake pads spew very little dust, to my surprise... Not sure if BMW switched compounds or what, but I'm sure happy my rims don't turn black after a few days of driving.

11-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #39
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
Sport package is a must plus xenon.
+1.

I would also say you should get the 6FL option for the USB stick to play MP3's on your stereo system. IF not for you, for when you sell the car.

I think heated seats are also a must have option(if you live any place cold) along with M-Sport and Xenons.

One option I kind of regret is PDC (parktronic) for the back. I have it on my used e39 (I bought this year), and I really love it. And I don't even park that much on the street, but when I do.. its nice to have.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #40
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
I've got five-spoke rims with my 2012 Sports Package and they're quite easy to clean... Also, the stock brake pads spew very little dust, to my surprise... Not sure if BMW switched compounds or what, but I'm sure happy my rims don't turn black after a few days of driving.

I noticed that too about the brake dust. I believe it to be that wheel wax was applied to our cars because i look at my parent's 2008 1er cabriolet and it gets black frequently. I clean mine and they stay clean for a good while. Put 4000 miles on and only cleaned them 3 times. AND I KEEP MY CARS CLEAN
      11-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #41
mr29
Rep
Drives: 4door

great thread here
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #42
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
pleasseee get this interior.

if i were ordering it would be zero question
+1 especially since the picture golf_234 posted is the one of my car, btw that picture was taken 2 days after I bought the car and 2 and 1/2 years later and 23,000miles later, it still exactly look the same, easy maintenance with Lexol and Zaino "leather in a bottle".

I would buy it identical, never had any regrets:
- sport package --> no hesitation since the seats, the suspension and shadow line are really worth it and the $1300 is not really expensive for what it is
- moonroof : I would definitely say yes since this one is really well designed compared to many other cars : it is big, it opens wide and you can drive at decent speed without being disturbed by turbulences. If you want moonroof+ leather it might be wise to consider the premium pack all together
- HK : never regretted mine since sound is really good but it depends how much importance you attach to the sound quality. I heard the current base sound was not bad but never tried it
- Winter pack, seems like a no brainer in Ohio, the heated seats are awesome in the 1-er

I would probably go again for terracotta, I don't get tired of it after driving the car for 2 1/2 years, the only thing I would like is the dark headliner but I did not wanted to spend an additional $1000 for m-sport back at that time (plus I did not like the rims)

Last edited by cvandenhaute; 12-01-2012 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0