BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
nnguyen04
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Steering wheel turning on its own in 2/3 gear

I have a jb4 map5 n54 with a few bolt ons - only suspension mod is h&r supersport

I notice my steering wheel turns on its own when im on it around 2/3 gear. Feels like im about to lose control or something. really dont like that feeling lol. - I know i need to upgrade my strut/shocks but i'm waiting on stock shockies to wear out.

Is there a easy fix for this? m3 bushings? sway bars? strut bars? Thanks!!

I know its RWD - but i dont like the feeling lol.

Last edited by nnguyen04; 09-13-2012 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Umm...your steering wheel shouldn't be turning at all on its own being that's it rwd. Check your power steering fluid level and have your alignment checked.

If it's only being affected when you're at higher rpms...i'd say theres something going on with the pump/rack.
      09-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Take your car to a good tire shop or dealer and have your suspension checked. Sounds like someone is seriously wrong with your car!

I would have the shop raise the car and check for looseness or play on each wheel. Something is loose. I would also check the rear suspension links... when they wear out or give - your rear toe will change (especially under power ie rear end squat) and you will have to correct with the steering wheel to keep things going straight ahead. This is why people upgrade to the M rear wishbones. I would also look at all your front ball joints and controls arms for wear.

Sounds to me like you need to start at it with your suspension upgrades.
Appreciate 0