BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2015, 04:22 AM   #1
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

KW V2/SC long term experience? UPDATE: V2's are here.

Hey guys, so after a year of research I'm getting close to ordering some coilovers. I've ruled out struts & spring combos as I want to dial in a proper even drop, too (135's have heavier engines so the front is always too low compared to the rear). I've also ruled out Bilstein B14's due to quality problems I have read about on German boards. B16 is too expensive.

I've heard good things about KW SC's, but KW currently has sales and V2 is now about 100€ cheaper than SC. Everyone seems to be always happy with KW after the install but how does it ride after, let's say, a year or two?

Thanks, guys.

Last edited by swagon; 07-07-2015 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Hey guys, so after a year of research I'm getting close to ordering some coilovers. I've ruled out struts & spring combos as I want to dial in a proper even drop, too (135's have heavier engines so the front is always too low compared to the rear). I've also ruled out Bilstein B14's due to quality problems I have read about on German boards. B16 is too expensive.

I've heard good things about KW SC's, but KW currently has sales and V2 is now about 100€ cheaper than SC. Everyone seems to be always happy with KW after the install but how does it ride after, let's say, a year or two?

Thanks, guys.
Although I have never used KWs, I think after only a year they would be fine. KW makes a good product and I wouldn't be worried. From what I read on these forums I've always heard good things
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 12:07 PM   #3
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks, guys.
From my experience you can't really get much better... They are one of the top manufacturers of suspension components here in Germany. I have the ST-XTA which gives you ALOT of upgrades compared to the KW V1 and V2 to include camber plates and front linear springs. KW has a great reputation and warranty to back it up. You really can't go wrong.
      06-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #4
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Nothing wrong with KW. Also, the 135 is hardly front-heavy unless you've modified the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #5
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexResistance View Post
From my experience you can't really get much better... They are one of the top manufacturers of suspension components here in Germany. I have the ST-XTA which gives you ALOT of upgrades compared to the KW V1 and V2 to include camber plates and front linear springs. KW has a great reputation and warranty to back it up. You really can't go wrong.
Yeah, I've heard good things about ST XA/XTA. Though the downside to them is they're not rust-proof, am I right? Tis' a crucial detail for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Nothing wrong with KW. Also, the 135 is hardly front-heavy unless you've modified the car.
I know, right, but for instance with Bilsteins the front drops quite a lot and the rear not. They just don't adjust them for heavier engines I guess.
      06-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #6
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I'd bet the front drop with springs is more related to spring perch/length than the heavy engine, but I know what you mean cosmetically. Funny enough I had my car set up with even gaps when I installed my KW V1s 5 yrs and 50k miles ago. After a corner balance I had a little larger rear gap than front. Now after other mods my uneven gap issue has gotten worse. But at least with coils I can fix it cosmetically if I want. I guess I haven't because I figure that kind of throws off the point of the corner balance.

As far as ride goes, I have not noticed a change or rattle with my coils.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 12:52 AM   #7
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
I know, right, but for instance with Bilsteins the front drops quite a lot and the rear not. They just don't adjust them for heavier engines I guess.
B14 doesn't have this issue :P

B16 PSS9 had quality issues with the adjusters, but I wasn't aware of any B14 issues. I haven't had issues with mine in over 60k km either.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 05:32 PM   #8
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
B14 doesn't have this issue :P

B16 PSS9 had quality issues with the adjusters, but I wasn't aware of any B14 issues. I haven't had issues with mine in over 60k km either.
Hmm. There are two members on the German boards with a 130i and a 135i and both had problems with lowering. The guy with the 135i couldn't get higher than 320mm in front (measuring from the wheel center to fender line) and 330mm in rear. 320-25 is too low for me. Not from the aesthetical point of view, but because of my driveway.

Other people with B14's and lighter engines don't have any problems with going to up to 335mm.

Some people have never had any quality problems with the B14, but tons of them have had. Front dampers tend to go after a while. There was a person that had his B14 dampers changed four times IIRC.

I mean, it is apparently a brilliant kit for the money but all these stories are pushing me away from it.
      06-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #9
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Hmm. There are two members on the German boards with a 130i and a 135i and both had problems with lowering. The guy with the 135i couldn't get higher than 320mm in front (measuring from the wheel center to fender line) and 330mm in rear. 320-25 is too low for me. Not from the aesthetical point of view, but because of my driveway.

Other people with B14's and lighter engines don't have any problems with going to up to 335mm.

Some people have never had any quality problems with the B14, but tons of them have had. Front dampers tend to go after a while. There was a person that had his B14 dampers changed four times IIRC.

I mean, it is apparently a brilliant kit for the money but all these stories are pushing me away from it.
They are low- ~325mm front at their highest. I went to linear springs and can go similar height if I wanted to.

Damper issue is interesting, i'm not the only one in AU enjoying them.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 09:30 AM   #10
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Bumping my thread because GREAT NEWS! The KW V2 coilovers I've ordered are here! I'm going to write my impressions once they are installed (which should happen this or next week). I can't wait.

As the car has as of today exactly 25,000 km on the clock I think the front & rear shock mounts are not worth the change yet. Or you guys think otherwise?

Honestly, I also wanted to get the M3 RSFB installed while doing the coilovers but completely forgot to order them and we're leaving for the 1Addicts Tour next Thursday so hopefully next time.