BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
delawarecub
Registered
Rep
Drives: '11 128 Cabrio

Intro / Vert question

Got myself into an E88 ('11 128) late last year.. Jet Black / Beige, and am loving it so far. Reading through these pages is sounds like a good community. I cut my teeth on VWs ('10 GTI, '14 GLI, '12 R) and jumped into Bimmers a couple years ago with an E36 328 vert. After dealing with the top on the 328 for so long, i'm having to relearn everything on the E88.

So to jump into my issue...

I was installing my amp in the trunk this weekend, so I had the left side of the trunk trim tore out. I had taken a break for lunch so I closed the trunk.. and when I came back out, the trunk wouldn't open. Tried the switch by the footwell, and still nothing. I ended up removing the seat in order to unlatch with the handle from the inside of the trunk.

So now, I get top warning. the light flashes red, and the trunk will not open by any conventional means. I'm guessing one of the micro switches in the trunk got hit, but I have no idea where any of them are on this car. The negative terminal was loosened but never removed... so I don't think it was a battery issue.

I tried scanning for a code for the top module, but I guess the program i got through Bcable doesn't come with that initially. I'm going to download a program that can when I get home tonight.

Anyone have any suggestions or have run into something like this?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
olds350
Needs a long road trip...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e91, '13 e88, '19 golf R

I got caught by the flashing red light myself. In my case, I simply forgot to flip down the top bag or whatever it's called that's located under the "package shelf". That needs to be in the "down" position for the top to work. If the bag catch is flipped up, the top won't operate... Sorry, not exactly sure what the official name of that is...

As for the trunk lid, that's a new one on me. Please let us know what you find out.

BTW, welcome!

Edit: It's that lower panel that needs to be pulled down

Last edited by olds350; 02-20-2018 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Exactly. It got pushed up when you reached through to unlatch the trunk lid.
      02-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #4
delawarecub
Registered
Rep
Drives: '11 128 Cabrio

I wish it was that easy. It’s not that piece.. because it’s down. That also shouldn’t keep the trunk from opening. My guess is a micro switch that detects the roof being opened got hit, causing the trunk to lock, even though the roof is up and latched.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #5
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarecub View Post
I wish it was that easy. It’s not that piece.. because it’s down. That also shouldn’t keep the trunk from opening. My guess is a micro switch that detects the roof being opened got hit, causing the trunk to lock, even though the roof is up and latched.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
The top and trunk locks may be confused. I will suggest something that worked on my Mercedes Cab. Disconnect the battery and touch both hot and ground to each other, wait 60 seconds, do it again, then reattach them to the battery.

Experts here tell me if I am giving bad advice.
      02-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #6
olds350
United_States
Rep

You might try getting the Carly app for your phone that allows coding and analysis on the car. There may be options in the program to chase down that issue, but I'm no Carly expert...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 09:00 AM   #7
olds350
United_States
Rep

circling back around on this question, did you ever find out what was wrong with the top not working correctly? I have a vested interest in knowing the fix
Appreciate 0