BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 and F32

Noise coming from brake pad(s)

Hey all,

I just recently started hearing noise coming from my brakes but the service info shows that my front pads still have 10000 miles and rear pads have 34000 miles. Obviously I don't know for sure which, but it sounds like its coming from front pad of the left wheel. (@ around 10-15 mph)
I googled it an found out noise from pads are common BMW problem.
But I thought I'd ask you guys for your opinions.
Are my pads worn down even though the info tells me I have 10000 miles or is it a irrelevant noise coming from Around where pads are?
I'm still under warranty so I'll probably take my car in, but just thought i would ask you guys.
Thank in advance on any input. Happy driving!!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, Jet Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbimmer19 View Post
Hey all,

I just recently started hearing noise coming from my brakes but the service info shows that my front pads still have 10000 miles and rear pads have 34000 miles. Obviously I don't know for sure which, but it sounds like its coming from front pad of the left wheel. (@ around 10-15 mph)
I googled it an found out noise from pads are common BMW problem.
But I thought I'd ask you guys for your opinions.
Are my pads worn down even though the info tells me I have 10000 miles or is it a irrelevant noise coming from Around where pads are?
I'm still under warranty so I'll probably take my car in, but just thought i would ask you guys.
Thank in advance on any input. Happy driving!!
Since you are under warranty have the dealer check it out. I wouldnt rely much on the miles to service indicator, as brake pad wear is dictated by your driving habits. Heavy braking due to to spirited driving, auto-x, and alot of stop and go city driving will all contribute to quicker pad wear. 1,000 miles of city driving will wear pads 2-3 times faster than 1,000 miles of interstate driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You need new pads (and probably new rotors too). I would push your dealer to replace them, bc they are quite expensive COD repair.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
Sidh135i
BMW Technician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Brake noise

Brake pad noise is common to all cars.

The reason you hear it from the left wheel is because of the brake pad sensor is probably starting to contact the rotor.

There is a service bulletin out regarding the brake noise. Take your car to the dealer, depending on the remaining thickness of the pads and rotors, the dealer will replace your brakes for free.

I recently changed my front/rear brakes at work with this service bulletin.

Hope I had some helpful input, enjoy your new brakes!

Jet Black | Coral Red | 6 MT | Comfort Access | 35% Tint | CF Grills | CF Mirrors | Bimmian CF Interior | CF Spoiler | M Door Sills | BMS DCI | Stett Charge Pipe | Berk Sport Muffler | Tow Plate
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by /// Yr1of D1/// View Post
Brake pad noise is common to all cars.

The reason you hear it from the left wheel is because of the brake pad sensor is probably starting to contact the rotor.

There is a service bulletin out regarding the brake noise. Take your car to the dealer, depending on the remaining thickness of the pads and rotors, the dealer will replace your brakes for free.

I recently changed my front/rear brakes at work with this service bulletin.

Hope I had some helpful input, enjoy your new brakes!
Is this only for US cars?

In Canada, pads are not covered under free scheduled maintenance (unless you pay extra for extended service). Or is the TSB independent of the free service?

Thanks
Appreciate 0