BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #67
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Ive only ever had bmw do one software update and that was like back in may. Only thing i remember from that was my angel eyes went to all the time on
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #68
BimmerSchnitzel
J1V3.455.7URCK3Y
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
You definitely need the latest pump. Performance is like new. For how long? That's the $54 question.

I see what you did there..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #69
Ser1es
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i ///M Sport

Stopped by my local BMW dealer today. I purchased my car through a private party so I wanted to put my information in the system. His first words out of his mouth when he heard I owned a 135i is, you here for the fuel pump? I just started laughing. He said ever since the news broadcast they are overwhelmed with people coming in about the fuel pumps.
      10-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #70
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

I'm just waiting until mine craps out all together. I have a feeling that we are still going to be in Beta test mode for a while...I will wait.

-Jeff
      10-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #71
11Series
Rep
Drives: BMW turned up to 11

The biggest question I need to know is whether or not the supposed fix has been engineered to hold up against highly tuned engines? If it is the March pump, has anyone with a 400+ hp tune gotten one and put a bunch of miles on it yet?

(yea, I know everyone debates whether tuning matters with HPFP going bad - don't wanna reopen that here...)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #72
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
All i need to know from them is what the fuck they are doing to correct the problem. Is it really a completely new HPFP construct, or is it just a slightly diff pump with a huge software change that messes with the power and fuel delivery to the engine?? Like I said before, if that's the case, count me the hell out, or give me some money back. My 135 hasnt had a problem yet at near 6k miles, once in a blue moon ill get a ignition that takes like 2 seconds, but nothing over that and no performance issues like that that have been reported with this problem so...im just gonna say nah until something actually happens. Atleast until I see proof from dyno's or actual press n numbers from BMW stating that the fix does not sap power in any way. I paid for this car with the power as it was, anything less isnt the car I bought. Period
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #73
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Series View Post
The biggest question I need to know is whether or not the supposed fix has been engineered to hold up against highly tuned engines? If it is the March pump, has anyone with a 400+ hp tune gotten one and put a bunch of miles on it yet?

(yea, I know everyone debates whether tuning matters with HPFP going bad - don't wanna reopen that here...)
That is truly irrelevant. BMW is not in the business of engineering things for your tuning desires. They are in the business of providing a product with some set of capabilities.

You are the test bed and it is on you to take the risk if tuning. It wouldnt be fair any other way. And, frankly, I dont want my car to be one cent more expensive because of "special" engineering that they had to perform to make something suitable for use with aftermarket parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 11:20 PM   #74
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Ironically I took my car in today for the seat belt tensioner recall. They asked me if I've experienced long cold cranks or had any issues with limp mode, which I haven't. So I opted to only get the tensioner fixed.

Then, on the drive out of the dealership... within the first 1/2 mile "service engine soon" comes on. Time to swap the HPFP!

I don't know if it's bad karma or if Steven's Creek BMW is evil and dicked around with it. Most likely the latter.

EDIT: No HPFP problem. BMW is blaming Dinan stage 2 software.

Last edited by fboutlaw; 10-29-2010 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 04:04 AM   #75
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Is it really a completely new HPFP construct, or is it just a slightly diff pump with a huge software change that messes with the power and fuel delivery to the engine??
People seem to be under the impression that, because BMW has announced this as a "recall", there's a new pump design that'll solve everything. I don't get that sense at all. I think BMW has basically just announced that they're going to officially notify people that there's a problem, and that they can bring their cars in for either:

- a reprogramming, if the pump is currently working, or
- if the pump is bad, a replacement with the most recent version of the pump (which doesn't seem to be holding up much better).

But that's exactly what they're doing now.

And I can pretty much assure you that they're not going to replace your pump if it's working properly, so they won't be solving the potential safety issue of sudden loss of power on the highway.

So, as for this recall: "Where's the beef?"
      10-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #76
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fboutlaw View Post
Ironically I took my car in today for the seat belt tensioner recall. They asked me if I've experienced long cold cranks or had any issues with limp mode, which I haven't. So I opted to only get the tensioner fixed.

Then, on the drive out of the dealership... within the first 1/2 mile "service engine soon" comes on. Time to swap the HPFP!

I don't know if it's bad karma or if Steven's Creek BMW is evil and dicked around with it. Most likely the latter.
The recall angered the HPFP gods! 2-1/2 years without a problem and the first time I start the car after they issued the recall and I get the long crank. I am now scheduled to go into Stevens Creek on Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 10:49 AM   #77
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
People seem to be under the impression that, because BMW has announced this as a "recall", there's a new pump design that'll solve everything. I don't get that sense at all. I think BMW has basically just announced that they're going to officially notify people that there's a problem, and that they can bring their cars in for either:

- a reprogramming, if the pump is currently working, or
- if the pump is bad, a replacement with the most recent version of the pump (which doesn't seem to be holding up much better).

But that's exactly what they're doing now.
+1, that is exactly how I read the press release. Based on the timing of the announcement from BMW (very shortly following the ABC program) I'd say they had this announcement planned in their back pocket for a while or at least had notice of this program. All they have done is admitted that there is problem because they can no longer hide it and have gone public with the exact procedure they have been doing all along on the down-low. This was a calculated effort on BMW's part to placate their customers, especially those who are not car-savvy and are hearing about this for the first time. By claiming that they had a fix in March but simply withheld it for testing purposes makes it seem like they were on top of this thing the whole time and there was never anything to worry about. This is simply a "buy time, save face" marketing tactic. Damage control comes to mind.

That said it is still a step further in getting this problem fixed because they can no longer hide it and there is clear documentation indicating the problem exists which should assist those who need their pumps replaced. Whether there's going to be a complete fix to this HPFP issue I am now more doubtful than ever.

What is the NHTSA's response to this? I went on their website searching for information but found none. And I am guessing that is because they handle safety recalls, not emissions recalls which BMW has filed this under. No wonder they went to the Environmental Protection Agency to file this and not the NHTSA.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #78
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

If no one has reported an injury what role would NHSTA play. Not for nothing but in most cases recalls are reactionary. In my opinion BMW has seen that they have a combonation pump/sw which are considerably more reliable than what they had in 07 when they started and therefore are making it public by announcing a recall. I know that there have been a handful of threads with the new pumps dying but no where near the number of threads whe saw in 08/09 where it was like 1 a day. Maybe its because no one complains anymore when it happens I dont know. I have had several cars that died on me while I was driving at highway speed scary yes, dangerous yes, but it does happen and not only to these cars. It seems like everyone was crying for BMW to acknowledge the problem and now that they have still no one is satisfied. What if they guaranteed that it would not die till 120k(when the warranty runs out) then what.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 07:33 AM   #79
cukoodukoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 GTS

My car had just arrived at the dealer and my SA said that they need an hour for software issues. Are they going to update the software even on new vehicles.If that's the case should i experience decreased performance?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 02:26 PM   #80
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

What amazes me is we have been hearing about the HPFP failure for years. I have yet to see what is actually failing? What part of the pump is actually going bad? Give me an exploded view of the pumps components and point out to me where the failure is occuring? Are the bearings going out. Are impeller blades flying apart? Is there a pump propeller shaft breaking off? What is actually failing? Why can't or won't anyone give the answer to this question? I have yet to see why the pump is failing.
      10-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #81
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
What amazes me is we have been hearing about the HPFP failure for years. I have yet to see what is actually failing? What part of the pump is actually going bad? Give me an exploded view of the pumps components and point out to me where the failure is occuring? Are the bearings going out. Are impeller blades flying apart? Is there a pump propeller shaft breaking off? What is actually failing? Why can't or won't anyone give the answer to this question? I have yet to see why the pump is failing.
Whenever I heard of HPFP failures on GTI's that I was driving before, it was always a seal problem. Or the rubber gasketish pieces that surround it were torn which renders it useless. Would seem like an easy fix with just better high quality construction, but who knows
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #82
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
That is the $54 question.
But, I don't see BMW giving the information to it's customers.

It's a question that many of gear heads would like answered, but for most people the information would go over their heads, and frankly they could care less. Most people just want a fix.

Even if BMW didn't tell me the how and why of it, I still want them to now accept the "recall" that they have initiated.
Yes, the parsing of words does leave doubt as to what BMW means by saying they have issued a "recall". Well, again, to me a recall means just that, recalling the cars/engines in question and PROACTIVELY replacing pumps before they go bad.

If BMW does not honor what a true recall is, then we need to send letters to ABC stating that BMW is not issuing a recall but are simply going by the original warranty, which we already have. If that's the case, then BMW can't call this a "recall".

That part about the cars "history" is the out part it seems. Meaning, if an N54 engine/car has not had any indication of a HPFP failure, or faults indicating that a failure is more likely than not, then BMW won't proactively replace the pumps. That is NOT a recall. It's simply false wording to save face.

I'll be contacting my dealer this week to ask for a new HPFP and new software. I'll post what happens. I hope others go to their dealers as well so we can get more real world experiences as to what BMW is actually doing with this so called "recall".
I say we now need to be active in holding BMW to it's word and demand that a recall be instituted on each of our cars.
If they don't then more bad press should follow.

We wanted acknowledgment and we've got it. Let's do something with that.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #83
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
That is the $54 question.
But, I don't see BMW giving the information to it's customers.

It's a question that many of gear heads would like answered, but for most people the information would go over their heads, and frankly they could care less. Most people just want a fix.

Even if BMW didn't tell me the how and why of it, I still want them to now accept the "recall" that they have initiated.
Yes, the parsing of words does leave doubt as to what BMW means by saying they have issued a "recall". Well, again, to me a recall means just that, recalling the cars/engines in question and PROACTIVELY replacing pumps before they go bad.

If BMW does not honor what a true recall is, then we need to send letters to ABC stating that BMW is not issuing a recall but are simply going by the original warranty, which we already have. If that's the case, then BMW can't call this a "recall".

That part about the cars "history" is the out part it seems. Meaning, if an N54 engine/car has not had any indication of a HPFP failure, or faults indicating that a failure is more likely than not, then BMW won't proactively replace the pumps. That is NOT a recall. It's simply false wording to save face.

I'll be contacting my dealer this week to ask for a new HPFP and new software. I'll post what happens. I hope others go to their dealers as well so we can get more real world experiences as to what BMW is actually doing with this so called "recall".
I say we now need to be active in holding BMW to it's word and demand that a recall be instituted on each of our cars.
If they don't then more bad press should follow.

We wanted acknowledgment and we've got it. Let's do something with that.
I just dont wanna choose my eggs before they have, given that I havent had any problems yet (knock on wood), and the fact that i have a few engine mods id rather not hafta remove unless necessary, cuz id wanna remove the chargepipe and BOV before taking it in since they need to remove that shit before getting to the HPFP anyways, I doubt dealer techs would know how the put an aftermarket pipe back in.

Anyways, id also rather not have the dealer just fuck up my software making my car have less power, I mean fuck that. Gimme proof that the software doesnt do that and ill consider it
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #84
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep

I was at the dealer today dropping the car off for a HPFP issue. The tech said they just took the HPFP off of "the list". Now they can replace it if there is just an engine code where as before they had to do kinds all of the additional diagnostics before BMW would authorize a replacement.

I am getting the long cranks but I do not think I am getting a code. I told them I am not going to take the car back unless it has a new pump. Software only is not a fix. Now I wait to see what will happen.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #85
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
LOL! SNOBS! I felt much the same way too...then I drove the Shelby...nav smokes the iDrive (and I *like* iDrive)...I had to depend on my 135 as my DD and after 10 months of ownership, 12k miles, ~1 full month in the shop and it was on it's 3rd HPFP...I couldn't take it anymore. Good luck with the recall...hope it works out! (and Go Gators!! even though we suck right now!)
You're going to get killed in here man but funnily enough, I was reading an article in CD (I think) on the GT500 and am quite impressed. Still wouldn't give up the 135i for that though. If, however, I happen upon some loose change, I may get one then coz my interest has certainly been piqued, and I've driven the Ford GT with the same engine, which was a phenomenal drive. Congrats.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #86
diddiyo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 GT

hi guys,

been thinking about getting a used 135 lately. but there's something i don't get: considering the hpfp issues on the n54 engines has been known in the community for quite a while now, how come there is no aftermarket fuel pump available yet? i'm coming from a platform that also has its fair share of HFPF problems (mazdaspeed 3, mostly after a downpipe has been installed), but at least we have the option to go aftermarket. i am currently on a cp-e hpfp and have had absolutely zero issues. has anybody heard of any aftermarket pumps for the n54 engine?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #87
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep

cp-e was rumored to have been developing a hpfp for the N54 but I have not heard anything about it in a while.

Problem is that BMW extended warranty on the hpfp for 10y/100k. So you can go back to BMW as often as you want to for a free pump and free install. Aftermarket would involve money out of your own pocket. While some people would likely pay, the numbers are likely too small right now for a company to spend money on R&D and production. Wait until the people start hitting 100k and the demand will then be enough to spur some aftermarket maker to jump in.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #88
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

The numbers might be too small based on consumer sales but you'd think BMW would step up and make some sort of commitment to the company to avoid all the continued bad press as well as covering both the labor and the parts cost to execute on the extended warranty of a defective part.

First HPFP related death and BMW will realize they could have bought cp-e and still been better off financially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
cp-e was rumored to have been developing a hpfp for the N54 but I have not heard anything about it in a while.

Problem is that BMW extended warranty on the hpfp for 10y/100k. So you can go back to BMW as often as you want to for a free pump and free install. Aftermarket would involve money out of your own pocket. While some people would likely pay, the numbers are likely too small right now for a company to spend money on R&D and production. Wait until the people start hitting 100k and the demand will then be enough to spur some aftermarket maker to jump in.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0