BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
edge350
Junior Cheeseburger
Rep
Drives:

Interesting story...

I sat down with a dealer to order an Alpine White/Coral Red 135i in late December.

I put in my order, they priced it, gave me a nice discount because the friend who referred me had given them a TON of business over the years. Got a print out with the '111' code on it - order accepted. My dealer had gotten an initial allocation, then there was a re-allocation, things were up in the air, but they reassured me that I would have a car end of March, maybe April at the worst, May.

Sounded good to me. I start a new job in July with a bump in salary, so later means less stress for me and my small family.

Spoke to the dealer last week, said he'd have a production number for me February. Changed my order to Montego Blue/Terra. Sweet. Still feeling good. Actually, feeling great! Happily reading messages from the guys in the "lounge" upstairs, knowing my time will come. 8)

I came across the order sheet last night, the one from December. Had put it away and never looked at it again. There's a production number on it!! An actual production number! I run to the computer, pull up Owner's Circle (an exciting first for me!) and plug and chug. Shock. It's been produced. It's Sedona Red. It's awaiting transport.

I call the 800 number immediately, fingers hitting the wrong button, re-fucking-dialing AND IT'S SITTING AT PORT OF EXIT!! :eyebulge:I changed my underwear, wake up my wife. Can't sleep. Could this be my order or did someone else get my number when the cars were re-allocated? I call the 800 number again this morning, speak to live person...it's someone else's production number. It's someone else's car. I'm grateful, because getting one in Sedona Red would be a little like having a baby with nine fingers and toes, but just holding that baby...goddamn it, I need a drink...my own damn fault, got worked up over nothing.

My time will come.....

Crimson Red/Terra 135i, delivered 4/19/08, traded in 9/8/08. Recovering addict, still a fan.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

No no, you get red car NOW!

Sounds like the dealer just messed the paperwork up. Worst case scenario you dont have to accept the car if it shows up wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

ha yeah that happens. i had originally spec'd my car and then the first guy in line dropped out so they bumped me up to 1st... this gave me a new production number. this was subsequent to me registering on-line with the old production number. sucks for someone else but i'm sure bmw can reset it.
      01-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
No no, you get red car NOW!

Sounds like the dealer just messed the paperwork up. Worst case scenario you dont have to accept the car if it shows up wrong.
No, this isn't edge's order (i.e. someone elses car), or No someone else didn't get edge's prod # (and this is now edge's car)?:iono: (Edit: 1 of the disadvantages of limited bandwidth, by the time I reply there are 5 new posts and the poster I was replying to has edited his post)

PS! Edge, please don't insult my nine fingered baby like that, how am I supposed to feel now? :wink:

Loved the story though, isn't it amazing how we work ourselves up over things like this - True Fanatics every last one of us (make that most of us)
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
:drinking:

This car is making us crazy!
      01-25-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Yeah, it will feel like "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" here before 22 March
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA135i View Post
No, this isn't edge's order (i.e. someone elses car), or No someone else didn't get edge's prod # (and this is now edge's car)?:iono: (Edit: 1 of the disadvantages of limited bandwidth, by the time I reply there are 5 new posts and the poster I was replying to has edited his post)

PS! Edge, please don't insult my nine fingered baby like that, how am I supposed to feel now? :wink:

Loved the story though, isn't it amazing how we work ourselves up over things like this - True Fanatics every last one of us (make that most of us)
I posted "No" accidentally. Disregard.:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
I posted "No" accidentally. Disregard.:biggrin:
, cool - I was to quick on the draw with the reply I guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #9
edge350
Junior Cheeseburger
Rep
Drives:

I've been walking around singing "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson all morning. 8)

SA, I actually like the Sedona Red. Saw it in Detroit and had to ask the eyecandy/BMW reps what color that was - couldn't believe Sedona would look that that nice from the pictures and word of mouth. It's definitely gotten a bum wrap. The monstrously overpriced SUV that we drive my son around in is a very similar color, so two cars that close in appearance rules it out for me.

Crimson Red/Terra 135i, delivered 4/19/08, traded in 9/8/08. Recovering addict, still a fan.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #10
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge350 View Post
I've been walking around singing "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson all morning. 8)

SA, I actually like the Sedona Red. Saw it in Detroit and had to ask the eyecandy/BMW reps what color that was - couldn't believe Sedona would look that that nice from the pictures and word of mouth. It's definitely gotten a bum wrap. The monstrously overpriced SUV that we drive my son around in is a very similar color, so two cars that close in appearance rules it out for me.
I saw it yesterday as well and I really like it to. Well one things for certain, I will be different on the road :wink:
Appreciate 0