BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-30-2008, 06:02 PM   #23
AwesomeBMW
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives:

atr_hugo, not nearly enough beer drinking going on
:drinking:

on second thought, don't do that before the autobahn cruise:smile:
      01-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #24
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Hugo, sounds like a wonderful trip. Looks to be a pretty high altitude trip except for Venice and Lake Garda. Are you staying at Sermione on Lake Garda? That's one beautiful little island.
      01-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #25
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I gotta figure out whether SWMBO is willing to deal with Venice - it's expensive, it's rickety, and it's a tourist trap (at least if you only have a short time allocated in high season). Personally, I'd rather go to Venice off-season and spend a copuple of weeks there - rent an apartment off the main drag.

SWMBO wants to do a high altitude trip - I may susbstitue another day or two in the Dolomites in exchange for the Venice, Lake Garda legs. But I am going to Mulhouse, that's non-negotiable. I intend to see all six Royales before I loose this mortal coil (and I blew my chance to see them all together at Pebble Beach in '85 ; -).
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #26
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

This is a great thread. Thanx all.

I'll be doing ED for my honeymoon in August. I know this is the month o vacation for most of Germany, and likely Europe for that matter. Any tips for this time of year. I'd prefer to avoid the areas crouded with vacationing Europeans, so I'm going to stay away from the Rivera.

Here is our trip as planned thus far.

Day 1 Munich
Day 2 Zurich
Day 3-4 Interlaken
Day 5 Lausanne
Day 6 Milan
Day 7-9 Venice
Day 10 Stuttgart
Day 11-14 Amsterdam

Any tips on this itinerary would be greatly appreciated.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #27
Itgb
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
This is a great thread. Thanx all.

I'll be doing ED for my honeymoon in August. I know this is the month o vacation for most of Germany, and likely Europe for that matter. Any tips for this time of year. I'd prefer to avoid the areas crouded with vacationing Europeans, so I'm going to stay away from the Rivera.

Here is our trip as planned thus far.

Day 1 Munich
Day 2 Zurich
Day 3-4 Interlaken
Day 5 Lausanne
Day 6 Milan
Day 7-9 Venice
Day 10 Stuttgart
Day 11-14 Amsterdam

Any tips on this itinerary would be greatly appreciated.
You hit a lot of nice places, but I think you kind of backtrack by going east to Lausanne and then west to Venice. If I were you, I would go south straight to Venice from Munich. Also, there isn't that much to see in Venice, so I wouldn't stay there more than 2 nights. It would look more like this.

Day 1 Munich
Day 2-3 Venice
Day 4 Milan
Day 5-6 Lausanne
Day 7-8 Interlaken
Day 9 Zurich
Day 10 Stuttgart
Day 11-14 Amsterdam
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #28
dclee1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

+1 on the ^ about Venice. It's small and IMHO way, way overrated. If you're going in August, it's going to be almost unbearably crowded, muggy, and smelly, as the garbage disposal system there is not too efficient so you'll be smelling the piles of garbage left sitting around in the heat. No more than 2 days if you have to stop by - plus you have to leave your shiny car outside the city the entire time!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 09:23 AM   #29
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itgb View Post
You hit a lot of nice places, but I think you kind of backtrack by going east to Lausanne and then west to Venice. If I were you, I would go south straight to Venice from Munich. Also, there isn't that much to see in Venice, so I wouldn't stay there more than 2 nights. It would look more like this.

Day 1 Munich
Day 2-3 Venice
Day 4 Milan
Day 5-6 Lausanne
Day 7-8 Interlaken
Day 9 Zurich
Day 10 Stuttgart
Day 11-14 Amsterdam
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclee1 View Post
+1 on the ^ about Venice. It's small and IMHO way, way overrated. If you're going in August, it's going to be almost unbearably crowded, muggy, and smelly, as the garbage disposal system there is not too efficient so you'll be smelling the piles of garbage left sitting around in the heat. No more than 2 days if you have to stop by - plus you have to leave your shiny car outside the city the entire time!

Thanks guys. Venice is the future wifey's idea; I'd rather hang out in the Swiss alps more too. I'll have another discussion with her.:wink:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 09:33 AM   #30
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

+1 for Interlaken. I stayed "up the hill" from there in Grindelwald a few times before at the Derby Hotel. It's right on the Jungfrau railway line up the mountain, and I woke in the morning to have a magnificent view view of the Eiger Horn from my balcony.

The road to get to Grindelwald from Interlaken is one of my personal favs too! Onloy about 20 mins from Interlaken, but major altitude increase, windy, switchback, cliffside roads...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 09:52 AM   #31
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

For people wanting to see Venice it is not necessary stay there with high room rates to do so. There are several small towns nearby, the Islands of Murano, Burano, The Lido, and Mestre on the mainland are charming and have regular "Vaporetto" (ferry) service to Venice. Here's a great tip: when visiting Venice always buy a multi-day Vaporetto fare pass--it's how everyone gets around, and you'll see much more of Venice and its environs the way it should be seen--from the water. Spectacular!
      02-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #32
IrvRobinson2
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
5 days? I wouldn't turn it into a Italian trip then. That's not enough time.

I would recommend Munich > Rothenburg ob der Tauber >Fuessen > Garmisch-Partenkirschen > Salzburg > Munich. Incredible roads, views, and stuff to do.

Rothenburg is a "still intact" medievil city.
Fuessen has a couple of not-to-miss castles (Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein - as well as Linderhof)
Garmisch-Partenkirschen.. just a great Bavarian city (skip if you want)
Salzburg is breathtaking with Castle Mirabella and the fortress on the hill - might be my fav EU city.

Plus, there's tons to do in Munich... The world is your oyster. :smile:
My editor went to Garmisch and then Salzburg. Beautiful ride he said.
Appreciate 0