BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
AlanO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Question about buying used

I have a question for the group.

I'm looking at a 2009 135i. Nicely optioned car, CPO'd. The price is on the high side of used retail but not obscene.

The Carfax report indicates that the first service interval was at 18k miles.

My question is this; would you consider the purchase of a used car whose first oil change took place at 18K miles?

Thanks in advance.
Alan O.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

More importantly, has the rest of the service been kept up? Original owner could have done the first oil change himself.

Pull the service record from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim
More importantly, has the rest of the service been kept up? Original owner could have done the first oil change himself.

Pull the service record from BMW.
How does one get these service records? I called my local dealer and they wouldn't give me any service info.
      09-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
cpsquare8
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
How does one get these service records? I called my local dealer and they wouldn't give me any service info.
I would ask the person or company selling the car to run those service records down - if you do not own it the dealer probably will not provide the information. When I purchased my 135i the used car entity emailed it right to me. It had all the history and in service date along with every wiper blade replacement. Whatever was done by BMW was on the form. As the car has 4 years of service - typically there is a record of what was done.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Bimmer B
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsquare8
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
I would ask the person or company selling the car to run those service records down - if you do not own it the dealer probably will not provide the information. When I purchased my 135i the used car entity emailed it right to me. It had all the history and in service date along with every wiper blade replacement. Whatever was done by BMW was on the form. As the car has 4 years of service - typically there is a record of what was done.
+ 1

Exactly what he's said before, but I'd add that it's a deal breaker if the info from BMW is not provided.
If your new to BMW you don't want this car to be a dud, bmw service is way too expensive.
Or you might ask to see if the seller would put the car through a BMW inspection.

Because your not going to get a BMW warranty, I'd push for either or both of the options I'd mentioned. If nothing else for peace of mind.

Remember car sales are way down so ask for everything ya can, worst he can say is NO.
Appreciate 0