BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Anyone had the BMW 135 / 335 Performace upgrade fitted ???

I picked mine up yesterday and the power seems stronger already but I now get a noise like a dump valve is fitted. I don't mean a quiet noise either. I took it back to the dealer today and they agree it is a loud noise. They have checked all pipes and fittings and nothing is loose or damaged, they also called BMW technical and they have reported as no fault or leak can be found, it must be "normal" for the car after the Performance upgrade has been done.

I can't believe that a "closed" recycling system can go from totally quiet to very loud with what must only be about a 2PSI increase.

Anyone else heard this or experienced it, I am picking the car up again later and worried it is NOT fixed.
      01-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

Do you mean a "woosh" sound, like a BOV, when boost it released??
      01-28-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict...Nah Im A Junkie! View Post
Do you mean a "woosh" sound, like a BOV, when boost it released??

Exactly that. They have said part of the upgrade is also:
A new sound generator (this may be the reason)
Complete new Charge pipe with TMAP sensor (Rigid pipe now)
New Rigid Intercooler pipe to the charge pipe
New spark plugs
ECU
Radiator
Fan & Motor
Relay
Varios pipe, bracket etc
      01-28-2010, 02:38 AM   #4
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

ECU as in a completely new ECU or is it a re-flash of the old one? I only ask because I've been curious if someday after you get the Performance Kit and you take your car in for service, then they inadvertently wipe it clean with a software upgrade or something.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ToBeOn2Wheels View Post
ECU as in a completely new ECU or is it a re-flash of the old one? I only ask because I've been curious if someday after you get the Performance Kit and you take your car in for service, then they inadvertently wipe it clean with a software upgrade or something.
As my car is an early one (Dec 07) it requires the NEW ECU that is currently fitted to the 135i. This made my upgrade a little more expensive too as I had to buy the ECU.
      01-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ToBeOn2Wheels View Post
I have the same concern as I've heard of it happening to people who lost their DINAN flash after taking it in for service.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

how does it drive?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Can you provide pics of the new charge pipe? I'm pretty sure this is the reason for the added blow off sound. I doubt it's anything to be concerned about.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
InlineSix
TwinTurbo Top Hat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
how does it drive?
What he said...
      01-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
dcbrown1
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i w/pp kit

Well, as of tomorrow, mine will have been at Concours BMW Milwaukee for a full week getting the power performance kit installed. Of course they needed the vin# in advance to ensure they ordered the "right" parts in advance of the installation. A few days into it after installing all of the hardware, they discovered that the ecu wouldn't download the new software. I instructed them (based on reading this blog) that the new V81 ECU was probably needed since my car was made in February of 2008. Then they contacted BMW, and after numerous conversations, finally determined a new ECU needed to be ordered. So, after two more days, it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. That's a full week. You'd think that they would be able to make these determinations based on the Vin number. If they attempt to charge me extra for the ECU (which I doubt they'll do), there will be hell to pay. I received/approved a firm quote of $3,000 (ouch) that included all parts and installation. Yes, this is the first one this dealership has installed. Considering BMW performance is trying to cut Dinan out of the picture, you'd think they'd had this stuff figured out. I only hope that this upgrade will rock big time once it's finally installed, and keep the engine nice and cool.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 01:54 AM   #11
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post
Can you provide pics of the new charge pipe? I'm pretty sure this is the reason for the added blow off sound. I doubt it's anything to be concerned about.
No need for a picture, the only difference is the pipe at the intercooler end. It is now hard plastic and all in one piece. so the soft rubber pipe has gone. I did exactly this in my own modification to the charge pipe by using a 45 degree Samco hose and cutting the clip off to remove the soft rubber one. The BMW Technician left my own modified charge pipe on as the pipe is a larger diameter and would flow better than the new one supplied with the kit. So I now have a spare Charge pipe with TMAP sensor

The blow off sound is apparently caused by the new Sound generator they fit to the charge pipe (they did fit this to my charge pipe.

The sound generator produces a Slight "hiss" under full acceleration and they a "venting" sound when you release the throttle to change gear. If you are driving around town it doesn;t make a noise, as it requires enough "load" to get enough positive pressure to make the sound.