BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

BT cable

is it possible to 'unpair' a BT cable to a VIN? Or is it essentially locked in forever?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I don't think you can erased the stored VIN and the non-professional version only allowed 3 VINs.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

With the Basic cable you cant but with the 3 vin you can usually send the 3 vin back for a credit towards a professional. With the basic there is currently no upgrade and BT cant reflash the chip in the cable itself right now. Maybe in the future they will be able to. BT themselves has no real answer for it right now. I am currently waiting a firm answer on this though and they will be getting back to me about it.
      01-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@PSI MOTORS View Post
With the Basic cable you cant but with the 3 vin you can usually send the 3 vin back for a credit towards a professional. With the basic there is currently no upgrade and BT cant reflash the chip in the cable itself right now. Maybe in the future they will be able to. BT themselves has no real answer for it right now. I am currently waiting a firm answer on this though and they will be getting back to me about it.
thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

I have still yet to see someone really prove that the vins are stored in the cable. Everytime I plug my cable into a new computer, it doesnt show any vins being used. Maybe Im just lucky.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

My new 135 comes in next week. Wheres the best place to pick up a Basic BT?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I don't think the VINs stored in the BT cable itself. I believe they are store at BT cable's data base.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
The BT Basic is only available when packaged with a JB product, and only available from authorized BMS vendors.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
I don't think the VINs stored in the BT cable itself. I believe they are store at BT cable's data base.
They are on the cable and can be accessed by BT remotely and cleared. They can be cleared once in the lifetime of an Enthusiast BT tool. Whenever I use my BT there is no wireless signal and the cable works

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
You cant buy the Basic unless you buy a JB tuner with it. BT does not allow us to seell them separately. They sell them to BMS at cost and then BMS sells them at cost as part of the combo to try and help you the customer out since a lot of people did not want to pay 300 for the 3 vin when they would never use it on any other car but theirs.
      01-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
They are on the cable and can be accessed by BT remotely and cleared. They can be cleared once in the lifetime of an Enthusiast BT tool. Whenever I use my BT there is no wireless signal and the cable works

Mike
Mike I am not sure where you got this info since I just spoke to them yesterday and was told the opposite that the BAsic and the 3 vin is not able to be cleared at any time you want. Unless they just decided to do this today it is news to me. Owen at BT said you can upgrade the 3 vin to the pro as a credit towards the pro but the basic they had no idea what they were going to do about that right now. He said something about a reflash but that it was only for certain cases.
      01-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #12
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
I have still yet to see someone really prove that the vins are stored in the cable. Everytime I plug my cable into a new computer, it doesnt show any vins being used. Maybe Im just lucky.
The software does not store the vin the cable does so you can use any computer you want and it wouldnt matter. there is a chip in the cable that stores it.
      01-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #13
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
BT themselves has no real answer for it right now..

Sure they do!

"Buy another one sucker!"

(I'm just joking. I think it's a great product, and I'd just factor it in with the price of buying a new car)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The BT Basic is only available when packaged with a JB product, and only available from authorized BMS vendors.

Mike
Thanks, I dont even get the new car till next week and I dont think Im jumping into a JB tune for a couple of years so my Innova 3100 reader/eraser will suffice for now. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Sure they do!

"Buy another one sucker!"

(I'm just joking. I think it's a great product, and I'd just factor it in with the price of buying a new car)
Well I do think there is some sort of communication break down at BT since it seems they are giving 2 people 2 different answers, but that may just be a simple misunderstanding. It is a little frustrating to me that they did not have a really clear and direct answer on this issues for me. I figured they would. I think they can re-flash the chip inside the cable for the Basic as well as for the 3 vin as Mike mentioned, so I am not sure why they told me that they are not sure if the will do it until a certain person who works there gets back in a week. I know they want to avoid getting stuck in a position where they are constantly unlocking the same cable for people who would take advantage of the feature. If they do it remotely they need to have a way of making sure you are the owner of that cable and where you bought it from. Think of how easy it would be for someone to buy the Jb/BT basic combo and then constantly have them remotely unlock it so they can use it on friends cars all the time. It would be a nightmare for BT. I know the person who answered the phone most likely just did not want to commit to an answer that he could not back up and I understand that.

I know you are jokin around though. they do not seem like a company that just wants to force you to buy another cable though so lets see how this plays out. They are really nice over there and don't mind talking to anyone about the product at length. I have faith they will figure something out that will work for everyone.
      01-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #16
SIEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Well I do think there is some sort of communication break down at BT since it seems they are giving 2 people 2 different answers, but that may just be a simple misunderstanding. It is a little frustrating to me that they did not have a really clear and direct answer on this issues for me. I figured they would. I think they can re-flash the chip inside the cable for the Basic as well as for the 3 vin as Mike mentioned, so I am not sure why they told me that they are not sure if the will do it until a certain person who works there gets back in a week. I know they want to avoid getting stuck in a position where they are constantly unlocking the same cable for people who would take advantage of the feature. If they do it remotely they need to have a way of making sure you are the owner of that cable and where you bought it from. Think of how easy it would be for someone to buy the Jb/BT basic combo and then constantly have them remotely unlock it so they can use it on friends cars all the time. It would be a nightmare for BT. I know the person who answered the phone most likely just did not want to commit to an answer that he could not back up and I understand that.

I know you are jokin around though. they do not seem like a company that just wants to force you to buy another cable though so lets see how this plays out. They are really nice over there and don't mind talking to anyone about the product at length. I have faith they will figure something out that will work for everyone.
They'll figure it out, any question regarding the BT Basic has gotten a delayed reaction when I've asked. Its a fairly new thing for them, and being exclusive to Terrys products they havne't quite figured out the ins and outs yet but I'm sure they will.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #17
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I can completely understand that fear...however I think it'd be a decent business idea to allow the unlocking for $x fee. Keeps the money flowing in, and attracts another level of customer.
Appreciate 0