BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
1quick35
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i, 1999 Audi A4

First Key problems now gauge problems...

I recently got my car back from the shop after they fixed my rear bumper from a rear end collision. They gave me the keys and I went out to unlock my car and the key fob would not open the doors so I had to use the valet key to open the doors. If I put the key in the ignition slot it would work but it would not work outside of the slot (the car has CA). So I call BMW today and they told me I can come down tomorrow and bring both keys that they probably just need reassigned. I figured no big deal and said I would be down. Now today I'm driving home from work and all my gauges go crazy, they keep jumping up and down saying I'm doing 140mph and i'm only going about 35. They turn on and turn off, the nav screen keeps going up and down, the turn signals will stop working, the air conditioning will turn on and off. Also now when it acts weird it will do really long cranks like 10 seconds long and sometimes work perfect. It gets so bad that all the lights and gauges and everything inside the car will just go off and won't turn back on until I restart the car. I don't know what's going on with the car or what the collision center did to my car but I'm not happy! Anybody have any weird things like this happen before?

View My Video
sorry for everybody talking in the background lol

JB3 2.0, KW Variant 2 coilovers, Riss Racing cat back with titanium tips, Riss Racing catch can, Active Autowerkes front mount intercooler, BMS dual cone intake, BMW Performance spoiler, black kidney grills and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
damn that's freaky lol...take it to the dealer.

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 04:53 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would FIRST check your battery connections. IF they had to do any welding they most likely disconnected the battery. Besure sure to check BOTH battery terminals that they are tight.

You know thinking about it.... sometimes on new cars... the dash/intrument cluster can get confused when your battery gets weak OR when it gets reconnected back up. Voltage spikes confuse the processor. EVEN IF you find your battery terminals tight. you might disconnect the NEG termina and wait ten minutes. Then reconnect and see how the car runs. This might just cure your gremlins.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
1quick35
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i, 1999 Audi A4

I took the car to the dealer yesterday and they hooked it up to the computer and found that 2 modules in the trunk were not communicating. They told me the body shop that fixed my car did not seal something up properly in the trunk when they fixed the rear of my car after the collision and water got in and destroyed 2 modules. They ordered the modules and I have to take the car into the body shop to have them fix what they didn't seal and put the modules in when they arrive. They unhooked them now and I'm able to drive the car and had no problems driving it around all day yesterday, so I don't know what the modules control other than I'm pretty sure 1 of them is for my remote controls for the CA.

JB3 2.0, KW Variant 2 coilovers, Riss Racing cat back with titanium tips, Riss Racing catch can, Active Autowerkes front mount intercooler, BMS dual cone intake, BMW Performance spoiler, black kidney grills and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quick35 View Post
I took the car to the dealer yesterday and they hooked it up to the computer and found that 2 modules in the trunk were not communicating. They told me the body shop that fixed my car did not seal something up properly in the trunk when they fixed the rear of my car after the collision and water got in and destroyed 2 modules. They ordered the modules and I have to take the car into the body shop to have them fix what they didn't seal and put the modules in when they arrive. They unhooked them now and I'm able to drive the car and had no problems driving it around all day yesterday, so I don't know what the modules control other than I'm pretty sure 1 of them is for my remote controls for the CA.
Good to hear it's getting taken care of! That video was nuts, talk about the dash lighting up, literally!

I'd say one of those rear modules is your remote key receiver
Appreciate 0