BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-26-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Headlight failure!

Here is what my car have gone through. Sorry about a long post. I rather sort it out before I post.

Headlamp failure!

Frustration cannot sum up my feelings . It is a well known problem in the other makes that headlights can have water vapour getting inside the case. This is happening to a top of the range BMW. It is not even common in the RX-8. When I heard about it in the 8, it is normally due to the seal not being tight around the edges and when you spray water to say… clean the car. Water will get it and block the lens.
To top that… the xenon light die on me the next day. I have called BMW Melbourne which offer me a spot on the same day for repair. Unfortunately the work is tight on Mondays and I will have to go tomorrow. Here are some shots of the mist before it goes away tomorrow. They have asked for my rego, hence the VIN number and I guess they will just change over the parts.

Oh I replaced the RDash LED before tomorrow. It only took me 1/2 for 2 lights. I somehow wonder the workmanships of some of the so called professionals.

Guess what… I have a “new” car to bring home

Well I got a call from the BMW Melbourne that my car is not going to be ready in one day. Well they do not have the part (the adaptive headlights) from Australia. Show one has to be ordered from Germany or hopefully get one from Asia. So for safety, BMW Melbourne gave me a loaner. I feared a key of a small diesel car will come to be. But instead, they gave me a brand new 17km on the clock 325i sedan, which is fully optioned up. It has sat nav, comfort entry, premium sound system, sunroof and stuff. Very cool.
Only the colour is quite mid life crisis-ish . And BIEGE leather.

It does not do 8L/100km. Try 24L/100km if you stuck in traffic from Southbank to Heidelberg.

Wood grain makes me look old… But I quite like the sat nav and the new iDrive, particularly it has a TV. But the language setting is only English, French and Portuguese. Hmmm. Not Chinese for these few weeks.

Bye Bye 325… hello back TAKA-1

After about 2 weeks, the parts arrived by air from Germany. However, after changing over the headlight parts. They found the headlight module also faulty and has to be replaced. That is a sealed box that has to be changed as a whole. The parts is located in the head office in Sydney. After another half a week, they have sorted by car. They also washed by car to test out the new headlight. . They said every thing is fine. So fine…

Now thinking back – the car has a headlight warning signal before but it has gone away before the car went to BMW.

On the same token, I have to return the 325i that I borrowed. My thought of the car is that it is very comfortable. Handle well. But 2.5L engine drinks a lot, but it goes only moderately well.
The update iDrive is a must for all the BMW ... although it took me a few days to fully know all the functions, but once it is all sorted and explored, it work better than most units out there. The navigation of the route is easy to understand and speak well. It also has lane directions. The only draw back is the navigation menu is difficult to access fast, even if you know where to go.

I managed to do 8.1 sec from 0-100kmh. I thought the car was quicker.
      08-26-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Funny I just found this for the 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=bmw_e46_3_series_light_contro l_module

BMW 3 series (E46) new shape light control module.

A lot of new BMW 3 series are suffering from headlight failure due to the car's light control module. We have
noticed this ourselves as it is usually the right head headlight that is out. These cars are just coming out of
warranty and a new light control module is an expensive piece of kit. Call BBA reman today for a quote for
a fix of yours. Your unit will be remanufactured with higher rated components to ensure failure will not happen
again.
I am waiting there warranty invoice to come. That will show me how much the parts supposed to be.
      08-26-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
Richard135i
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: .

I had the same problem a few years back in a 1997 Audi A3. Can't remember what caused it but it was sorted during a service.

To prevent this issue ever happening again (here is where I get to boast about my business), I sell biodegradable/organic waterfree car wash products. If you want a demo message me or check out www.bioganic.com.au and book in for a free demo. The product is amazing and when my 135i arrives it will be strictly washed with this product.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

That's good news it got fixed Taka. Did it have anything to do with the angel eye mod?

The last time i went in for a warranty claim (clutch return spring) i got a 320i... would have liked to sample the 325i....
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #5
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

I don't think the angel eye mod has anything to do with it. It is apparent that the gasket/seal is not done properly and the xenon dies after the water went in. BUT the fact that the module is dead - I dunno if the LED has anything to do with it. It hardly draw power and the module seems to only do the xenon light (or not?).

I went to Andrew and swap to some simple halogen lights anyway.

You want the LED light?

The 325 is great when you have the gadget, without that it is not a very special car. But very compfy and seat better than the 135, as I found myself setting lower.
      08-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

You put the xeniums in as well?

I like them.

Sucks about the headlamp failure.

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 12:15 AM   #7
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
I don't think the angel eye mod has anything to do with it. It is apparent that the gasket/seal is not done properly and the xenon dies after the water went in. BUT the fact that the module is dead - I dunno if the LED has anything to do with it. It hardly draw power and the module seems to only do the xenon light (or not?).

I went to Andrew and swap to some simple halogen lights anyway.

You want the LED light?

The 325 is great when you have the gadget, without that it is not a very special car. But very compfy and seat better than the 135, as I found myself setting lower.

Thanks but no thanks mate - i'll stick with the yellowish tint for the time being.

When you got the loan car, did they try to charge you $10 as a flat fee (per day). apparently it is to cover the cost of petrol. They tried to charge me until i reminded them the fact i'm in here was for a warranty claim and not because i had nothing better to do then want to drive a 320i for a day.

I was at Andrew's last week for an oil / filter change. the guys did it in super quick time.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 12:30 AM   #8
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

I gave them all my fuel recepits. I had the car for 2 weeks.

They can't dare charge me a cent for this.

I was to a point that I was sick of not knowing what was wrong with my car. I had to email the sales manager who I had good dealings with - he cracked the s*** and within 10 minutes I had a senior service rep calling me apologizing.

He then kept me updated with phone calls and emails.

We have received the headlight control unit & fitted the same it works fine now. All we have to do is focus the headlights & re-check after which we will have the car cleaned & I will speak to you as soon as its ready.

Thanks for your patience in this concern.

When I collected TAKA1. I parked the demo and the service rep came out of his desk with my key, apologsing and talking through what was wrong with it. He has not got the invoice ready then but he said all will be under warranty.

Quite be honest, if I want to have a car for 2 weeks. I think David will let me have it. After talking to Andrew this arvo about what has been wrong with our 35 engines, I want to get an M3.
      08-27-2009, 12:38 AM   #9
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
I want to get an M3.
Selective reading....MMMmmmmmmm
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 02:45 AM   #10
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
After talking to Andrew this arvo about what has been wrong with our 35 engines, I want to get an M3.
Ok...Whats wrong with our 135 engines Taka..

Dont leave us in suspense..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 05:13 AM   #11
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Can I say or Andrew can elaborate...? It is prob happen to a lot of sports car anyway. It is as much as the RX-8 back in 2003/4.

Engine issues mainly. I will let Andrew explain if he wants to.

M3 V8 is what I will buy not the 3L TT version of it
      08-27-2009, 07:06 AM   #12
andrew@southernBM
Rep
Drives: M2 G87, M4 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Ok...Whats wrong with our 135 engines Taka..

Dont leave us in suspense..
Zuzu,

I am seeing a lot of issues on stock cars and now am in a position where i am getting phone calls from all over Australia with people and dealers who have issues with there cars. HPFP's are falling over regularly to a point where before anyone comes in for a tune now, i have to run a scan and see if it has any of the fuel pump fault codes coming up. It is hard when someone drops the car off them i have to ring back up and say take your 10,000km car back to BMW and get the hpfp replaced before i touch it. Gee mine even went out a week or so ago. I was talking to a guy today who has not used his car for 8 weeks while the dealer has replaced most of his injection system and ignition system trying to find the issue. There are another 4 at that dealer with issues. The coils, injectors, hpfp's, fuel pressure sensor's, and of course the good old boost leaks. Those who are tuned will know about boost leaks. Also remember these issues are on stock cars, as the modded ones get older they will be harder to diagnose as the modded parts always get blamed first for being faulty or have caused other issues. I have a 135i that looks like it will be transported down from NSW to be looked at as it cant be repaired up there to the customers satisfaction.

Mine actually developed 3 different problems and i found the last one tonight, gee it was nice to be able to drive it again with out the dreaded engine light of death, but personally rewarding as i have found a few variants with ours and our overseas cars so i'll do some production and testing on these and se ehow they go.

I guess all up i am surprised that cars with such low kilometeres have so many issues, carbon build up from the direct injection is causing huge problems moving forward, the coils and plugs, hpfp's, fuel pressure sensor's, low press fuel pump, cam cover replacements for the pcv valve, turbo's and waste gates.....It does get me down

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #13
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

WOW Andrew... That wasnt the response I was hoping to get..Not for "Engine of the Year".

So many upcomming problems with these engines isnt promising..My car already has experienced some of these problems mentioned above.

I too, like so many on this forum will be upgrading sooner than later to a M3.

Thanks for the indepth and honesty in your reply.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #14
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

How to prevent this? If any? Not using crap fuel. Fuel cleaner? Don't redline it when cold (I am sort of quity on that)... should start putting on throttle after the oil temp needle to around 100 degree. Change oil every 5000km?

I am surprised that most 35 engine does oil temp at 110, cruising. I test drove the brand new Z4 35 and after a few K it is 110 (without going to redline, coz I was testing its handling and DCT mainly).

I am keen to go an oil cooler upgrade soon. Would that help and I am sure I love to see a lower oil temp.

Carbon buildup. When I hear it in the rotary engine - I tell the guy - you have not redline the car. I redline it once every time I drive to keep the carbon away!
      08-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #15
andrew@southernBM
Rep

Fuel is filtered by the fuel filter. But the pumps are failing for different reasons, some are losing fuel pressure when they are turned off, therefore long cranks, some just stop like mine, no fuel pressure at all, some causing stuttering intermittently on acceleration, so hpfp's are still out there, BMW have made advancements i am told....believe it when i see it.

I think the carbon build up is from the lack of an oil catch can in the stock car. I think without the catch can the oil recirculates and causes build up in the combustion chamber that is not washed by traditional means as we have direct injection to the centre of the chamber.

I have been running a secondary oil cooler for a while, i still see the same temps for everyday driving, it may be different from sustained back to backs or track days. I am waiting for the BMW performance oil cooler and the 850w fan to come out then i will go for that and see if that improves my temps, but saying that i have never had my car very hot. Oil temps won't help with carbon build up though imo.

Thanks joe, i've been in a lot of m3's lately as they are entering the mods scene now, it will be good to see how they go. I suspect very well. I hope to have a supercharger deal soon, that will be some fun
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #16
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

So a catch can is a must upgrade? Any way that we can reduce carbon build up?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #17
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

This presents a potentially very interesting situation. If it is becoming "common" for these issues to arise in relatively new cars, BMW is looking at some quite large bills, and reputation damaging happenings - particularly as it's their much lauded 2 X "engine of the year".

If these weaknesses are known, I wonder what would happen, from a warranty standpoint, if you put "mods" on your car to prevent against these failures. Oil catch can for the carbon build up. Extra oil cooler (which BMW also does in the Perf package) to keep oil temp down. Larger Intercooler to keep opertaing temps down.

I'm sure they would try to blame any failure on the mods. Which is where they have a dilemma. They can't admit the engine has "issues" - that'd be a PR disaster. And they can't acknowledge that "mods" help alleviate the "non-existant issues". But they are getting failures that people will talk about. And they have to pay to fix.

So all they can really do is address these items as they arise, and hope that they don't have to get into a "recall" situation. That too would be a PR disaster.

If this trend continues, it's going to be very interesting to see how BMW manages it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #18
nvanorten
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m140

Guys,

Take a look at the US forums none of these issues are new for them. In the US BMW has extended the warranty on the HPFP to 10 years.

N
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #19
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
Thanks joe, i've been in a lot of m3's lately as they are entering the mods scene now, it will be good to see how they go. I suspect very well. I hope to have a supercharger deal soon, that will be some fun
Sorry for going OT but what sort of performance mods are the M3s having? I don't have the balls to go for a supercharger, though.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #20
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

OT a bit more,

Where is the oil catch can run from?
      08-28-2009, 10:57 PM   #21
stylish.
Easily bored...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Are these HPFP failures affecting the 07 and 08 models only? Or do these problems present itself on the 09 models as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 06:58 AM   #22
andrew@southernBM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
Sorry for going OT but what sort of performance mods are the M3s having? I don't have the balls to go for a supercharger, though.
G Power Supercharger, ESS and AA still to come.
Akrapovic Full Titanium exhaust system (See HERE)
Tune, Air boxes, Air filter kits, Vorsteiner came out with a new range last week GTS3, Eisenmann rear mufflers, Active Autowerke full exhausts, power pulley upgrades, SSK's, Eibach spring kit or H&R Spring kit, just a few off the top
Appreciate 0