BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Ah yes... the long crank. So this is what y'all are talkin' 'bout.

Got my first one (about 3 seconds about a week ago) didn't think anything of it. Got another one yesterday (about 5 seconds.) I just grinned when it happened. Imagine all of the poor bastages that have no idea what they're in for.

Anyway, I guess I just have to wait til it gets real bad and throws some sort of code. Do I have to wait for a warning light to come on? What exact code should I be looking for with my BT? I've heard there's multiple codes, but only one that will make the dealership do anything about it.

2010, 2,300 miles, came off the boat Dec 1st.
      03-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
Got my first one (about 3 seconds about a week ago) didn't think anything of it. Got another one yesterday (about 5 seconds.) I just grinned when it happened. Imagine all of the poor bastages that have no idea what they're in for.

Anyway, I guess I just have to wait til it gets real bad and throws some sort of code. Do I have to wait for a warning light to come on? What exact code should I be looking for with my BT? I've heard there's multiple codes, but only one that will make the dealership do anything about it.

2010, 2,300 miles, came off the boat Dec 1st.
There are quite a number of threads on this topic.
Long cranks don't mean you will have a HPFP failure. I have and have had them for a few months now, and no codes. Besides the occasional long crank, everything is fine.
Colder weather or big temp chances seem to bring the longer cranks in my 135i. But, it's become a rare occurrence in my 1.

When the temps get really cold I do a different start procedure that seems to work quite well. I've posted this in the other threads too.
When the temps drop below 32F, I insert the key, but I don't press the clutch to start. I press the start button, which turns the electrics on, then I press the clutch and hit the starter.
Long cranks during cold weather have pretty much stopped.
Still, once in a rare while even with warmer temps I'll get a longer crank.

There have been owners that never had a long crank and had HPFP failure.
Also, there have been long cranks, then a fault light.
From all these posts it seems that long cranks may not be indicative of HPFP failure. It appears that long cranks may simply be a bad condition in my cars, all on it's own.
Recently people have been posting that the latest software updates have fixed some long crank issues, but not in all cases.

Not much to do at this point, and I wouldn't worry either, cause if you're going to get an HPFP failure, no amount of worrying is going to stop it.
Get your car to the dealer and tell them that you've got long cranks, and sometimes your stereo turns on with no sound. The dealer should then upgrade the software. Report back on how it works out.
Some people say their car runs better and they have better MPG.
I'm looking forward to getting the new software.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

I have just recently had long cranks as well my car was built the same week and I have about 2800 miles. I am taking it in this week for them to look at it. It started about a week ago but pretty much does a long crank after the car has sat off more than 2 hours. It is very disconcerting feeling like the car is having problems this early. Good luck and let us know what it turns out to be.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 LeMans 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
I was having long cranks every once in a while since early January, they became frequent about two weeks ago and I got software updated this past Monday. It hasn't fixed the problem, I've had a few long cranks since the update.

Anyway, they found codes 29DB and 2FBF on my DME and I had no lights on the dash. They also checked my gas for ethanol content which I wasn't expecting them to do. My SA said if the long cranks got bad again, then they'd look into other fixes (ie a new HPFP).

My car is an Oct 09 build.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
hardrock
Hardrock
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

When my HPFP shot craps at about 7,000 miles (last December), I had increasing incidence of long cranks, to the point where I was getting one long crank out of every 10-15 starts. I had one that ran out about 8-10 seconds, and called my SA and told him that I was having problems with the car starting and explained that the most recent one made me think it wouldn't start at all. He asked me if I could bring it in to be checked and I did.

They gave me a loaner (328i) and I was on my way in about 20 minutes. SA called in about 3 hours and said I had a bad HPFP and was it OK to replace it? I said "sure".

He called back at the end of the day and asked if they could keep it overnight to run another test in the morning. "Sure." Called me mid-morning NEXT DAY to say it was ready. I picked it up and it was great. Cost me about 45 minutes of my time.

I have had a few long cranks since, and I now keep a log on them - date, time, ambient temp, engine oil temp at shutdown and how long it sat. I figure they can use all the info they can get if it dies again. BTW, I didn't get the new one.

Anyway, my experience was about as good as it can get. Thank you Bill Pearce BMW.

That is the only problem I have had with my 135 - no squeaks, rattles, broken tail lights, chattering clutches or any of the other stuff I read on the forum.

I LOVE MY ONE AND PLAN TO KEEP IT A LOOOOONG TIME.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your story I hope I have as good a dealer experience as you did. I really like my car and I hope to keep it for as long as I can. I have been recording every start in my car since I made my appointment last week so I can show them just in case they have problems reproducing it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
Got my first one (about 3 seconds about a week ago) didn't think anything of it. Got another one yesterday (about 5 seconds.) ... 2010, 2,300 miles, came off the boat Dec 1st.
I'm getting concerned now. I have a 2010 135i picked up Nov 25th with ED, so it was probably a Nov build. I only have 900+ miles on it currently and no long cranks at all, but looks like it won't be long, hun. I didn't have any squeaks in the armrest till 800 miles, lol.

pge
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrock View Post
Anyway, my experience was about as good as it can get. Thank you Bill Pearce BMW.

That is the only problem I have had with my 135 - no squeaks, rattles, broken tail lights, chattering clutches or any of the other stuff I read on the forum.

I LOVE MY ONE AND PLAN TO KEEP IT A LOOOOONG TIME.
Wow, so it doesn't bother you that your brand new car has a defect in a critical part and takes time out of your schedule to fix... all because your dealer was nice and quick about it? That's like getting a punch in the face and thanking the guy who did it because he gave you ice for the swelling. I know its not your dealer's fault specifically but these guys make money on the car too, both selling the car and replacing your HPFPs with more bad ones. Yeah they get high marks for service but I wouldn't sing any praise for BMW, their retailers, etc after an incident like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
POEHAM
Rep
Drives: 135i vert

good luck to you.....owned my 135 for about 14 months. Already have had 2 HPFP failures with no long cranks. But the long cranks now started last week had about 4 of them within 4 days. Car is back at the dealership......I hate BMW! This is never going to get fixed......
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by POEHAM View Post
good luck to you.....owned my 135 for about 14 months. Already have had 2 HPFP failures with no long cranks. But the long cranks now started last week had about 4 of them within 4 days. Car is back at the dealership......I hate BMW! This is never going to get fixed......
Good luck with it. Hopefully they come up with a better solution than replacing pumps every couple of months. I would find it hard to believe that they wouldn't want to fix this problem. It cant be cost effective as they will be producing this engine at least for the next couple of years and warranties on some cars extend 10 years. So in theory 9 years from now the will still be replacing multiple pumps on cars they built last year.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
hardrock
Hardrock
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Wow, so it doesn't bother you that your brand new car has a defect in a critical part and takes time out of your schedule to fix... all because your dealer was nice and quick about it? That's like getting a punch in the face and thanking the guy who did it because he gave you ice for the swelling. I know its not your dealer's fault specifically but these guys make money on the car too, both selling the car and replacing your HPFPs with more bad ones. Yeah they get high marks for service but I wouldn't sing any praise for BMW, their retailers, etc after an incident like that.
My point is that I suffered nothing more than the loss of 45 minutes of my time and that the dealership did what was right by me. They were quick, responsible and competent, which also flies in the face of the experiences described in lots of posts on this board. I believe in giving credit where it's due. They didn't design the pump, they just replaced it.

Hell, lots of things substantially more simple than this cause us to lose more than 45 minutes on a frequent basis, and many of them result in a less-than-acceptable result.

Do I wish that the HPFP issue was fixed? Yup. Do I expect that it will be? Yup. It just doesn't cause me as much stress as it does others.

May have something to do with running hot rods when I was a kid and blowing lots of rear ends apart. They didn't have "limp mode." LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
Cole128
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Does this problem only occur with the 135. I haven't seen many posts about this with the 128.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #13
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

135 only 128 doesnt have this pump.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #14
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

2300 miles, sounds about right... ! that's when my first one went. Replaced with the 881 model. That one failed at 5800 miles and was replaced with the 943 pump. I now have 8000 miles on my car and so far so good with the 943.......

Depends on your dealer though re: replacement. My car threw codes both times before I took it in. It can throw a code and barely run, die several times... then when the flatbed arrives, it will start up just fine without any CE lights! I'd wait for the lights to come on, the half engine light in the center display alone, or in combination with the SES light. The dealer will open a PUMA case with BMW and BMW decides what to do.....
      03-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #15
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I got my 3rd long crank today. 30,300km's 2009 build.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
rotts4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A3 TDI

I just took delivery of my 2010 5 weeks ago and today had the first long crank. It was after a long weekend in the mtns having fun with the car and about 1700 miles. I parked it after 2-3 hours of driving for an hour or so for lunch. When I came back I had the long crank. I stopped later in the day for gas (short stop) and it fired right up. It was 75-80 degrees all day. I didnt get a code or SES light. I guess I am gonna be a lucky one that has problems too.
      04-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #17
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotts4u View Post
I just took delivery of my 2010 5 weeks ago and today had the first long crank. It was after a long weekend in the mtns having fun with the car and about 1700 miles. I parked it after 2-3 hours of driving for an hour or so for lunch. When I came back I had the long crank. I stopped later in the day for gas (short stop) and it fired right up. It was 75-80 degrees all day. I didnt get a code or SES light. I guess I am gonna be a lucky one that has problems too.
Uh oh. I've had my 2010 about 9 weeks, but only have 1047 miles - so far no long cranks. Do you know what month (and year, although I assume 2010) your build was? Mine was late Nov 09, I did an ED 25 Nov 09.

pge
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #18
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

For those that have had hpfp fail... how long between the first long crank to failure? I've had 4 long cranks spread out over 2 weeks and I drive everyday. It seems like it's going to take it's time to fail.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #19
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotts4u View Post
I bet that was vapor lock, mine does that too, has sense it was new, if I drive the car hard, park for 30 min, it'll either long crank, or start up and immediately shut off
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #20
FATBOY
Rep
Drives:

This Is My Last Bmw!

I HAVE BEEN A LONG TIME OWNER OF BMW'S. SO I WAS A BIT PUZZLED WHEN MY 135i LEFT ME STRANDED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. I HAD IT TAKEN TO A DEALERSHIP WHERE THEY GAVE ME THE BAD NEWS - HPFP!!! THEY ALSO SAID THEY WOULD NEED TO CONTACT BMW FOR "PERMISSION" TO HAVE THE HPFP COVERED UNDER WARRANTY. I ASK FOR A LOANER BUT WAS TOLD THERE WERE NONE AVAILABLE. NOT BEING A HAPPY CAMPER, I CALLED BMW WITH MY CONCERNS AND ALSO ASK IF THE 135i HAD HAD ANY FUEL DELIVERY PROBLEMS (HPFP). THE YOUNG LADY SAID "NO SIR,PROBLEMS HAD EVER BEEN REPORTED". I ASK WHY THE DEALER WOULD HAVE TO GET PERMISSION TO HAVE A FAILED HPFP COVERED UNDER WARRANTY AND SHE SAID "BECAUSE MANY PEOPLE BUY CHEEP OR CONTAMINATED GAS THAT MAKE THE HPFP FAIL" I THEN REMINDED HER OF MY QUESTION ABOUT THE HPFP TO WHICH SHE AGAIN ANSWERED "NO PROBLEM". I THOUGHT ALL THIS SOUNDED A BIT ODD AND STARTED LOOKING ON THIS FORM ONLY TO FIND THERE HAVE BEEN MANY HPFP PROBLEMS REPORTED. TWO WEEKS LATER I PICKED UP MY 135i AND WAS TOLD THE NEW HPFP WAS NOW COVERED 10 YRS OR 120K MILES BECAUSE THERE HAD BEEN A FEW PROBLEMS. RIGHT THEN AND THERE I TOLD MYSELF I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER BMW - I HAD BEEN LIED TO!!! I ALSO TOLD THE DEALERSHIP ABOUT NO LOANER AND HOW THEY TOO WILL NEVER MAKE ANOTHER SALE TO ME. AND I HAVE BEEN TELLING EVERYONE THAT WILL LISTEN TO ME TO "NEVER BUY A BMW!!!" DOES ANY OF THIS SOUND LIKE TOYOTA OR THE BANKING INDUSTRY OF LATE???:mad025 9:
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #21
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

I feel your pain FATBOY. Sounds like you had a terrible experience with your dealership which is typical of some BMW dealerships. Fortunately I have a good relationship with my dealer and I'd hope they'd take good care of me. When this car is working it really is a great car, shame that the hpfp hasn't been resolved otherwise there wouldn't be much to complain about. Just remember, the dealerships aren't the ones that make your cars so I wouldn't let a bad experience with the service department turn you off an entire brand.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #22
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
For those that have had hpfp fail... how long between the first long crank to failure? I've had 4 long cranks spread out over 2 weeks and I drive everyday. It seems like it's going to take it's time to fail.

To answer your question, there isn't any conclusive data that long cranks will lead to pump failure in any given interval, if at all.
I had my first long crank back around October I think.
It's now April, no failure.

I too would be interested in knowing if long cranks DO lead to pump failure, but from reading these forums extensively, I haven't found that one necessarily leads to the other. There have been plenty of failures with NO long cranks, failures that had long cranks, and long cranks with no failure.
Fear and conjecture isn't scientific, at least not to me.

Fatboy, you're surprised that a phone operator told you "no problems"?
You're dealer sucks.
Don't buy another BMW? That's probably good for you. I'd suggest a soul-less Toyota or Honda next time.
But, the new Mustang has been getting rave reviews. I'd prefer that over a Honyota.

Last edited by RPM90; 04-03-2010 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0