BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #23
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATBOY View Post
I ASK WHY THE DEALER WOULD HAVE TO GET PERMISSION TO HAVE A FAILED HPFP COVERED UNDER WARRANTY AND SHE SAID "BECAUSE MANY PEOPLE BUY CHEEP OR CONTAMINATED GAS THAT MAKE THE HPFP FAIL
this sounds like bullshit. i know this hpfp is a big mess, but I bet alot of dealerships were switching hpfp's that were perfectly fine.... that's my guess as to why they need approval now.
      04-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #24
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Dang, I got a nice LONG ass crank last night. It was probably 8-9 seconds long - my longest yet. Kind of embarassing when peeps are all around the car too. But, still no codes or pump failures...
      04-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #25
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

I took mine in to the dealer this week for long cranks. They reflashed the car and it doesn't crank as long anymore. I never had a SES or stall or anything like that but I am concerned that their SW fix is just there to mask the problem instead of solve it. I suppose if the pump is pumping just air(ie not primed properly this could damage it and or injectors) and this new SW definately primes the system so it doesn't crank for an extended period. I do notice a difference between a warm start(restart after just shutting down) vs a cold start(start after several hours of shutdown), it is about a second or two longer but still nothing compared to the 5-10 second starts I was experiencing previously.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #26
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
Dang, I got a nice LONG ass crank last night. It was probably 8-9 seconds long - my longest yet. Kind of embarassing when peeps are all around the car too. But, still no codes or pump failures...
Have you tried hitting the starter without starting the car, first?

It works for me when it was colder. Now that's it's been rather warm I don't get long cranks. I've had a couple of 2 sec counts, but that's ok as long as the pump doesn't fail.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #27
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd223 View Post
They also checked my gas for ethanol content which I wasn't expecting them to do.
How much ethanol did they find? I asked my SA about 6 months ago if they were replacing many 135i/335i pumps & he said they had recently found 20% ethanol from various local (DC suburb) pumps!

So far, my 128i doesn't seem to be affected by this apparent overabundance of corn in the fuel, but I always thought that a pump posted at maximum 10% meant that's what you got...

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #28
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 LeMans 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
How much ethanol did they find? I asked my SA about 6 months ago if they were replacing many 135i/335i pumps & he said they had recently found 20% ethanol from various local (DC suburb) pumps!

So far, my 128i doesn't seem to be affected by this apparent overabundance of corn in the fuel, but I always thought that a pump posted at maximum 10% meant that's what you got...

Tom
they found 10% ethanol in my tank, and my SA reminded me to always use top tier gas. I always fill up at exxon mobile, and since my gas was fine, I will continue to do so.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #29
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATBOY View Post
I HAVE BEEN A LONG TIME OWNER OF BMW'S. SO I WAS A BIT PUZZLED WHEN MY 135i LEFT ME STRANDED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. I HAD IT TAKEN TO A DEALERSHIP WHERE THEY GAVE ME THE BAD NEWS - HPFP!!! THEY ALSO SAID THEY WOULD NEED TO CONTACT BMW FOR "PERMISSION" TO HAVE THE HPFP COVERED UNDER WARRANTY. I ASK FOR A LOANER BUT WAS TOLD THERE WERE NONE AVAILABLE. NOT BEING A HAPPY CAMPER, I CALLED BMW WITH MY CONCERNS AND ALSO ASK IF THE 135i HAD HAD ANY FUEL DELIVERY PROBLEMS (HPFP). THE YOUNG LADY SAID "NO SIR,PROBLEMS HAD EVER BEEN REPORTED". I ASK WHY THE DEALER WOULD HAVE TO GET PERMISSION TO HAVE A FAILED HPFP COVERED UNDER WARRANTY AND SHE SAID "BECAUSE MANY PEOPLE BUY CHEEP OR CONTAMINATED GAS THAT MAKE THE HPFP FAIL" I THEN REMINDED HER OF MY QUESTION ABOUT THE HPFP TO WHICH SHE AGAIN ANSWERED "NO PROBLEM". I THOUGHT ALL THIS SOUNDED A BIT ODD AND STARTED LOOKING ON THIS FORM ONLY TO FIND THERE HAVE BEEN MANY HPFP PROBLEMS REPORTED. TWO WEEKS LATER I PICKED UP MY 135i AND WAS TOLD THE NEW HPFP WAS NOW COVERED 10 YRS OR 120K MILES BECAUSE THERE HAD BEEN A FEW PROBLEMS. RIGHT THEN AND THERE I TOLD MYSELF I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER BMW - I HAD BEEN LIED TO!!! I ALSO TOLD THE DEALERSHIP ABOUT NO LOANER AND HOW THEY TOO WILL NEVER MAKE ANOTHER SALE TO ME. AND I HAVE BEEN TELLING EVERYONE THAT WILL LISTEN TO ME TO "NEVER BUY A BMW!!!" DOES ANY OF THIS SOUND LIKE TOYOTA OR THE BANKING INDUSTRY OF LATE???:mad025 9:
in my experience - this is with any dealership - it's called bad communication... end to end...

in my opinion, if the manufactures owned the dealers, then it might improve as with many other areas as well... just my 1 cent worth...
      04-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #30
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd223 View Post
they found 10% ethanol in my tank, and my SA reminded me to always use top tier gas. I always fill up at exxon mobile, and since my gas was fine, I will continue to do so.
But, if the problem is the gasoline, which many of us don't believe, then why hasn't BMW simply stated this?
It seems a typical ploy by manufacturers to blame someone/something else.
And if they are convinced that the HPFP failures are the result of the potentially bad fuel from some US gas retailers, then BMW should state this clearly in light of the number of failures.
Then, if that is the case, then why did BMW FAIL in developing a pump that could work with US gasoline, seeing that the US a HUGE market for BMW.

This "bad" US fuel doesn't seem to be affecting other makers HPFP's, nor does it seem to be affecting other BMW automobiles with any of their engines. If the seals in a non HPFP system don't fail due to using US gasoline, then it stands to reason that BMW do have seals that work with US gasoline. Additionally, if the problem truly is being caused by US gasoline, then why have subsequent versions of the HPFP still fail?
One would think that if BMW is so positive that the problem is poor quality fuel, then simply make new seals of the same material used in other BMW fuel pumps, which do not have failures.
I just don't buy the "poor fuel", "use top tier" argument.
It sounds more like a quick, "it's not our fault, it's the gas makers causing this." excuse. This may get customers off the phone, but it also spreads illogical misinformation.

If the problem is the gas, then it's BMW's responsibility to inform it's customers of the this, and the mistake they made in building the pump incorrectly for the market they sell product in.
I'll believe it's the fuel when BMW sends me a letter stating that they know it's the US fuel. Then, we can move forward knowing BMW will manufacture a pump that does work with US fuel.

Holding my breath..........
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #31
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 LeMans 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
^^^ I agree with you, the fuel isn't the problem. I've been putting exxon mobile premium through several different cars, including my e92 328xi for 44k miles and a Mk5 GTI, and none of the cars have had problems.

Even now, just ~two weeks since I've gotten the reflash, I'm still bogging down under 2.5k rpms and getting long cranks again. Hopefully BMW NA will see it in their hearts to authorize an HPFP swap so I can get the 943 pump and see how long that one lasts.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #32
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

I assume these pumps are covered by warranty?? I just sold my S4 due to reliability and was all pumped to buy a 135i but you guys are scaring me off!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #33
TheAccountant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Whats the story with the extended warranty on the HPFP? Is this something that I should be asknig for (my car is going in for long cranks tomorrow) before a failure occurs? Is this something BMW is offereing on all the 1 series?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #34
ronster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAccountant View Post
Whats the story with the extended warranty on the HPFP? Is this something that I should be asknig for (my car is going in for long cranks tomorrow) before a failure occurs? Is this something BMW is offereing on all the 1 series?
Not in Canada unfortunately... I emailed BMW Canada... they said they hv different warranty policy than US... they claimed they were working on similar extension on HPFP.. (yeah right)... but I doubt there will be one...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #35
TheAccountant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

shoot, thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #36
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
I assume these pumps are covered by warranty?? I just sold my S4 due to reliability and was all pumped to buy a 135i but you guys are scaring me off!!!
go buy a honda if reliability is your top concern...

while I agree that BMW's HPFP problem is catostrophic, I still wouldn't buy a bimmer if reliability was a top priority.
      04-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #37
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJUNO78 View Post
go buy a honda if reliability is your top concern...

while I agree that BMW's HPFP problem is catostrophic, I still wouldn't buy a bimmer if reliability was a top priority.
Easy tiger. I've owned approx 20 cars and 15 or so have been German, so I know what to expect when it comes to German reliability. It's the safety and how often these breakdowns are seeming to occur that bothers me. I don't mind trading some reliability for great perfomance. What is being reported with this car is WAY beyond common reliability issues, it's a monthly thing. You're basically saying "go buy a Honda if you don't want your car to blow HPFP's every 5k miles or have catastrophic failures on the highway and leave you stranded." That's a silly statement.
There are plenty of great cars that don't have issues like this particular car, including my S4, not just Hondas.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #38
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Funny thing is, I've owned only 3 German cars... an '89 GTi, '92 Corrado SLC, and this new 135i. The biggest reliability issue with every one? - FUEL PUMPS, haha. No joke. Must've gone through 4 alone on the Corrado, among a myriad of other things, and 2 on the GTi. I swore off buying German in '97 when I sold the Corrado when it's 2nd gear synchro went out ($2,700) and haven't been back since this last December. Nice to know some things don't change!

My poor folks went through YEARS of major troubles, and thousands of dollars with their German autos before they made the switch to Subarus.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought my 1er.
      04-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #39
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Yep, I've narrowed it down to a Z4. Fuel pump went out on the Audi too, but at 90k, so it was almost tolerable at that point.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #40
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Easy tiger. I've owned approx 20 cars and 15 or so have been German, so I know what to expect when it comes to German reliability. It's the safety and how often these breakdowns are seeming to occur that bothers me. I don't mind trading some reliability for great perfomance. What is being reported with this car is WAY beyond common reliability issues, it's a monthly thing. You're basically saying "go buy a Honda if you don't want your car to blow HPFP's every 5k miles or have catastrophic failures on the highway and leave you stranded." That's a silly statement.
There are plenty of great cars that don't have issues like this particular car, including my S4, not just Hondas.
The issues?
My 135i has been fine. Granted I've only had it since last July and a bit over 7k miles, but overall it's been great.
I have a TPS light on, it's probably a sensor as the tires are fine.
And, I've got an occasional long crank. It's been through a typical cold and snow laden Chicago winter, survived notorious potholes, and daily high speed commuting on one of America's busiest highways. Pretty darn good reliability imo.

Who's blowing a HPFP every miles, or have catastrophic failures on highways leaving them stranded? Have you been reading a different forum?
It's the HPFP that has left some, not even most, owners stranded.
Most have been able to keep driving in "limp home" mode.
What failure are you categorizing as "catastrophic"?
And, what "safety" problems?
NO ONE has been injured by a pump failure, regardless of how often people keep posting that this MIGHT happen.

If you're that worried, in spite of no real data to support the fear, then don't get a TT 3.0. Get the new N55 engined 135i, but, we have NO data on that one.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #41
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
The issues?
My 135i has been fine. Granted I've only had it since last July and a bit over 7k miles, but overall it's been great.
I have a TPS light on, it's probably a sensor as the tires are fine.
And, I've got an occasional long crank. It's been through a typical cold and snow laden Chicago winter, survived notorious potholes, and daily high speed commuting on one of America's busiest highways. Pretty darn good reliability imo.

Who's blowing a HPFP every miles, or have catastrophic failures on highways leaving them stranded? Have you been reading a different forum?
It's the HPFP that has left some, not even most, owners stranded.
Most have been able to keep driving in "limp home" mode.
What failure are you categorizing as "catastrophic"?
And, what "safety" problems?
NO ONE has been injured by a pump failure, regardless of how often people keep posting that this MIGHT happen.

If you're that worried, in spite of no real data to support the fear, then don't get a TT 3.0. Get the new N55 engined 135i, but, we have NO data on that one.
Dude, come on now. You've been defending BMW on this HPFP issue all throughout this thread. You ask who is getting stranded and the next sentence you say the HPFP is leaving some people stranded. What??
If you don't think it's a big deal then why is there so much talk about it? If it's not a big deal why is BMW on their 3rd different HPFP to (hopefully) solve the problem? Why are people having chronic problems, going through 2-3 HPFPs in a relatively short span?
This thing sounds like when Audi had problems with ignition coils. You might never have an issue, but I had issues left and right until finally Audi figured something out and got it fixed. Left me stranded twice.
I used the term catasrophic in response to the other posters comment comparing "catastropic" issues to typical German reliability.
I understand that you like your car and I hope you got a good one that doesn't give you any problems. But that doesn't sound like the norm. Where there's smoke there's fire and there's been too many people on this website and others saying to stay away from that engine. The fact that the N55 engine is coming out so soon says a lot too.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #42
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

As for where I'm getting this information, I'll just start with these links. If you want more just let me know.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...highlight=HPFP
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 01:32 AM   #43
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Dude, come on now. You've been defending BMW on this HPFP issue all throughout this thread. You ask who is getting stranded and the next sentence you say the HPFP is leaving some people stranded. What??
If you don't think it's a big deal then why is there so much talk about it? If it's not a big deal why is BMW on their 3rd different HPFP to (hopefully) solve the problem? Why are people having chronic problems, going through 2-3 HPFPs in a relatively short span?
This thing sounds like when Audi had problems with ignition coils. You might never have an issue, but I had issues left and right until finally Audi figured something out and got it fixed. Left me stranded twice.
I used the term catasrophic in response to the other posters comment comparing "catastropic" issues to typical German reliability.
I understand that you like your car and I hope you got a good one that doesn't give you any problems. But that doesn't sound like the norm. Where there's smoke there's fire and there's been too many people on this website and others saying to stay away from that engine. The fact that the N55 engine is coming out so soon says a lot too.
You misread or misunderstood my comment.
I was addressing your generalization that these cars are having catastrophic failures other than the HPFP issue, so I specified that the ONLY problem that has left people stranded IS the HPFP issue.
You've taken individual incidents and combined them into one broad stroked generalization then applied it to all 3.0TT cars.
If someone were to use your post as proof of anything, the conclusion would be that most 3.0TT cars have failures that occur monthly, HPFP's that fail every 5k miles, have so many problems that negatively affect your safety, and it's uncommon and rare for someone with these cars to have one that doesn't have these problems.

I never said it isn't a big deal. It IS a big deal. It's also NOT the norm.
You aren't the first to make the point you're trying to make, and this isn't the first time I've responded to someone making that claim. I simply find it over the top to think that every 3.0TT car will have a reoccurring HPFP failure that WILL leave you stranded. Most failures, by reading all of these threads, have not led to being stranded. Most failures have led to limp mode.
You're simply going to the extreme situation and applying an over-generalization that it will happen to everyone, and as I've said many times before, that is simply not true and the data does not support your extreme position.

So, let's be clear then. I do think this is a big problem and a serious problem that is occurring in enough cars so that it's not a minor issue.
Also, it's not a problem that occurs in most of these cars, and it's not a problem that will always be "catastrophic" leaving you stranded in an unsafe manner. In fact, I haven't read even 1 experience where a failure has resulted in an accident, even though people like you are in fear of it and imply that it will happen.

My car has long cranks and I've posted that in many posts as well.
Overall, my car has been problem free and runs well, and that IS the norm, even though you may not believe it. You can discover for yourself that it is the norm by simply taking an account of the number of people on this forum with 135i's and compare that number to how many have had an HPFP failure. Even the oversimplified and questionable surveys regarding the pump issue demonstrate that not having a pump failure is quite the norm and normal.

Regarding your question about how many pumps BMW has tried, and why do so many have recurring problems, those are good questions and this forum has addressed these questions in many threads.
The fact that BMW has issued a number of different pumps demonstrates that BMW is working on the problem, even though some people are convinced that BMW doesn't care about this issue. If they didn't, then why are they continuing to issue new pumps, extending warranties, and fixing each and every pump failure? No one who has had a pump failure has been turned away from BMW attempting to fix it.

Have BMW been successful in fixing this problem? No they haven't up to now as we all know. And yes there is a frustrating procedure to go through for BMW to finally decide to replace a pump. That is causing strong negative feelings and negative posts. I understand the frustration from those that have or have had a failure, even though I haven't had one. But, there a number of people, like you, who haven't had a failure (you don't even own one) but make comments as if you're positive that you know what will happen to every owner. I choose to express my opinion that is contrary to yours. After all, I read the same threads and data that you do (more than you as I've been here longer), and I base my opinions based on a different reading/interpretation of that data.

There have been people on this forum saying to stay away from this engine even though they have NOT had a failure!? And, in many of these threads it's the same people over and over who keep making these comments, which ends up making it seem as if there are more people having these failures and making those suggestions. Person A says his proof is person B, person B says his evidence is person C, person C says his proof is person A, and the circle continues.

I had a 2006 A4 2.0T and it had no issues, ran great for the 3 years I owned it. My 2003 E46 did have ignition coil failure, which was a very common problem in that model. BMW addressed it and fixed it.
The E46 also has major issues with some models having cracked rear sub-frames. BMW only admitted that problem after a successful class action law suit. I certainly don't defend BMW as being perfect and always right, especially after that big one. I'm just saying that there is enough evidence that the HPFP issue is real and broad enough to deem it more than minor, thus it doesn't require the type of hype that you promote.

I also do not buy into the thinking that the N55 is BMW's attempt to get away from the N54's pump issues. It doesn't follow logically.
The N55 is in response to tighter government standards in meeting mileage and emissions numbers, while keeping the performance, and staying competitive in the market.
The N55 is a more efficient engine, a very modern high-tech turbo engine with modern turbo design along with high tech valve control. It achieve the same power output, but it's supposed to give that power in a smoother manner with better low rpm torque and give a bit more torque at high rpm.
All this while being a bit lighter and importantly giving better MPG.
It stands to reason that BMW made this engine to keep competitive in the market while attaining the government regs and improving efficiency and performance. It's a LOT of work to create this type of high tech turbo engine technology, much more intensive than simply wanting to cover up a poorly designed HPFP.

Remember, the N55 also has direct injection and it too requires a high pressure fuel pump. Yes, it is a different design and BMW thinks it will work, just like they thought the N54 and it's HPFP would work.
No one knows yet what problems the N55 might have.
To think the N55 is being made just to get away from the N54 HPFP problems is shortsighted and enters conspiracy type thinking.
It's speculation from fear, not from any known fact.

Last edited by RPM90; 04-09-2010 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 01:38 AM   #44
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:

As for where I'm getting this information, I'll just start with these links. If you want more just let me know.

I've read all those and more.
I've been on this forum longer, and have read more than you.
So, if you want some information just let me know.

You need to reread your original post that I responded to. I think you've forgotten what you wrote and/or implied.
The word "catastrophic" is over the top for me. Also, you used that word to describe the car in general, implying that it has reoccurring catastrophic failures ALONG with the HPFP issue.
Here is your post, "...if you don't want your car to blow HPFP's every 5k miles or have catastrophic failures on the highway and leave you stranded..."
You claim that HPFP's blow every 5k miles, THEN you state, "or" have catastrophic failures (plural), on the highway, that leave you stranded.

What failures (plural), are leaving people stranded on the highways, other than SOME HPFP failures that have left SOME on the road?
Yeah, every couple weeks or monthly, someone posts of a pump failure. Yet, you present it as if every one of these cars has monthly failures.
Where are you getting that from? Just because 1 or 2 of a huge number of owners posts about their pump failure, how does that translate to any one person having monthly failures, as you imply.

Oh, and you haven't answered my question about your safety concern.
Got any links to threads about anyone getting hurt, or even getting into an accident?
There was someone who said they "almost" got hit, and that was the biggest one.

Last edited by RPM90; 04-09-2010 at 02:09 AM..
Appreciate 0