BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-31-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Dumbest Drivers

Interesting data I found over on CNN/Money

http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/27/auto...adly/index.htm

Not that any of us Addicts would break the law and speed. But people who harp on enthusiast who like to drive fast as "dangerous idiots" really need to get a clue. This data shows why there are accidents, I really wonder what the true rate of accidents caused by excessive speed are, without any other variables involved.
This definitely supports the idea that the Germans have the right idea by truly training all their drivers. Not that I have any hope of that ever happening here. Too many people that believe driving is a right and not a privilege.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Interesting but the only really objective information seems to be the results of a simulated driving test. Asking people whether they do things is not a very reliable way to find out what they do. Some are more honest than others. Still it is interesting.

Maybe we should be re-tested periodically.

Jim
      05-31-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
White1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 128i AW/Prem/PremAudio

The main thing is that in society there must alway be blame placed when bad things happen, much like the stereotypes we all use when we hear of crimes happening; most of us usually think of minorities. As wrong as we may be, the prejudices still exist. When people hear of accidents, the first people they blame is speeders; although in many cases they have caused accidents, more than likely the speed wasnt the prevailing factor; by simply paying attention most can see if a vehicle arround them is going fast and react accordingly. Statistically most accidents happen at intersections, especially after a red light lets up,and when people come off the side streets onto a main artery, in those cases speed is not even the issue.And the most frequent excuse is " i didnt see them". I dont know any cars that are so fast as to be invisible, obviously someone somewhere isnt paying attention. I've known myself to not always pay attention to every inch of the road; sometimes i look at the radio display to look for music on my mp3, or check my display when i have an incoming call, or at a sexy woman walking down the street in Daisy Dukes. There are way too many distractions, and we have to accept that, and change how we do things. But lets face it in most peoples minds, they all are perfect drivers; thats the worst habbit on the roads of the world.
      05-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
sb335is
Captain
Rep
Drives: fast

Jersey # 1.. thats not too far off... just take a look at snookie.... jk
      05-31-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
N55 Power
Private First Class
Tajikstan
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by White1 View Post
much like the stereotypes we all use when we hear of crimes happening; most of us usually think of minorities. As wrong as we may be, the prejudices still exist.
Actually your first assumtion is correct because acording to the goverment agency pertaining to data on crimes: BLACK PEOPLE ARE 7 TIMES MORE LIKELY to commit a lethal crime and 8 times more likely to commit a non lethal crime... Im not a racist but its just a FACT

Last edited by N55 Power; 05-31-2010 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
LJKelley
Private
Rep
Drives: Mercedes SLC 300 & Mini Cooper

I think the reaction to speed is the fact that low speed accidents rarely kill or cause widespread destructions. The fact is the faster you are driving the more destructive an accident can be.

Once you start hitting 40mph, running a red light can start to be deadly (though most cars are now safe enough that you will survive).

My biggest problem is that, yes we should stick to 40mph or so for congestion and especially city streets with lights. We know that cars are safety tested at 40mph and that they will absorb this energy.

But for a high speed highway, I think we should be more flexible. The autobahn proves we can have higher speed limits. In NY we are stuck at 65 when ideally it should be closer to 80mph. That doesn't mean we are incouraging people to drive 80mph in the snow or that we can't pull them over for reckless driving. We need to train drivers that if they choose a high speed road that they can't text, read a magazine, or apply makeup. That the faster your drive the more focused you need to be to your driving and your surroundings. I have always said that cars should be certified to access high speed roads to ensure they break safely etc... In NY State we already do annual inspections. Perhaps introduce a higher grade for those that want access to a high speed network. I would even pay a higher toll, as I feel confident at 80mph and there are places like Texas that offer that speed, and many states that offer 75mph.

I am hardly ever 'frightened' because someone around me is driving fast on an interstate or high speed highway. I am concerend when people drive fast in the city or especially on my neighborhood street. I am concerned when people don't signal or drive erratically. I am concerend when its obvious to me that their focus is not on driving but on something else.

Honestly, if most of us would just focus on driving I think we would have safer roads.
      05-31-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

Energy is = MV, so than heavier and faster your car, than more energy it carries, and the energy can kill. So most danger is in big trucks with big M and fast drivers with big V.
From other side, if you drive fast, then you do not reach destination faster. Some even little delays will bring down all your fast driving efforts. Visit countries like India, you will be surprised. People do not follow any rules, however no accidents, because average speed doesn’t exceed 20mpg.
So do not drive fast, save your life and energy. But people do not value life much in America. We have banners on road as click it, or ticket. So people do not scary to lose life, people scary to pay money for ticket. Really surprising.
      06-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post
Energy is = MV, so than heavier and faster your car, than more energy it carries, and the energy can kill. So most danger is in big trucks with big M and fast drivers with big V.
From other side, if you drive fast, then you do not reach destination faster. Some even little delays will bring down all your fast driving efforts. Visit countries like India, you will be surprised. People do not follow any rules, however no accidents, because average speed doesn’t exceed 20mpg.
So do not drive fast, save your life and energy. But people do not value life much in America. We have banners on road as click it, or ticket. So people do not scary to lose life, people scary to pay money for ticket. Really surprising.
Just because they can't go fast in India doesn't remotely mean they have fewer accidents or are safer - far from it. By that reasoning, the Autoban would be the most dangerour road on earth, but it's probably safer than most. Speed itself is not the main problem. Speed in excess of design and ability is the problem.
      06-02-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
AussieAlf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LMB 123d MT Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post
Energy is = MV
Obligatory pedantic correction.

Energy = 1/2 x M x V x V (when V is much less than the speed of light - most 1 series fall into this category).

This actually means that speed is much more important than mass in how much energy you can impart on the other party. Knowing this, and continuing to treat posted speed limits with, shall we say, irreverance, does that put me into the smartest dumbest drivers category?

Cheers,
Alf
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
Since it is definitely true that "Car Enthusiasts" are not known for their knowledge and care of their vehicles, but are wrongly considered "dangerous", you have to put things in a "FAR LOW PEDANTIC" level, and ask this question....

What sounds safer to you? Doing 100mph with Mario Andretti (or Michael Schumacher, whoever you like), or doing 40mph with an 80 year old (or 16 year old, they have the same reflexes)?

Speed, and vehicle weight/capabilities, etc, those are "contributing" factors, but they are NOT the cause. The cause is the driver. It always is, always has been, and always will be. If you are a safe driver and obey your situation, the chances of accidents declines significantly. If you are one of those people who thinks he/she drives well, and then you are talking on the cell phone and texting and speeding in a non-performance car while on damp roads, etc etc etc, then you will have an increased chance of an accident.

WOW! Such a difficult concept to understand. Well, for CNN it is. Any network that still allows Rick Sanchez to have a show, that just says it all right there.
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)
A few more
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Just because they can't go fast in India doesn't remotely mean they have fewer accidents or are safer - far from it. By that reasoning, the Autoban would be the most dangerour road on earth, but it's probably safer than most. Speed itself is not the main problem. Speed in excess of design and ability is the problem.
"Speed in excess of design and ability is the problem."

Plus capacity. No matter how good the machines are designed and how capable the drivers are, some parts of the Autobahn feature dynamic speed limits, according to limiting conditions such as heavy traffic, which are announced by electronic signs mounted above the roadway.

Also the British Columbia Ministry of Transportation released these results:

Results from lowering speed limits.

Country - Speed limit - reduction Reported change

Australia 110 km/h to 100 km/h Injury crashes declined by 19%
Australia 5–20 km/h decreases No significant change
Denmark 60 km/h to 50 km/h Fatal crashes declined by 24%
Injury crashes declined by 9%
Germany 60 km/h to 50 km/h Crashes declined by 20%
Sweden 110 km/h to 90 km/h Speeds declined by 14 km/h
Fatal crashes declined by 21%
Switzerland 130 km/h to 120 km/h Speeds declined by 5 km/h
Fatal crashes declined by 12%
UK 100 km/h to 80 km/h Speeds declined by 4 km/h
Crashes declined by 14%
USA (22 states) 8–32 km/h decreases No significant changes

Results from increasing speed limits:

Country - Speed limit increase - Reported change

Australia 100 km/h to 110 km/h Injury crashes increased by 25%
Australia (Victoria) 5–20 km/h increases Crashes increased overall by 8% 35% decline in zones raised from 60–80 km/h
USA 89 km/h to 105 km/h Fatal crashes increased by 21%
USA 89 km/h to 105 km/h Fatal crashes increased by 22%
Speeding increased by 48%
USA (40 states) 89 km/h to 105 km/h Fatalities increased by 15%
Decrease or no effect in 12 States
USA (Michigan) 89 km/h to 105 km/h Fatal and injury crashes increased significantly on rural freeways
USA (Ohio) 89 km/h to 105 km/h Injury and property damage increased but not fatalities
USA (40 states) 89 km/h to 105 km/h Statewide fatality rates decreased 3-5% (Significant in 14 of 40 states)

I'm sure a search would dig up a study with a conclusion to the contrary but the point is that it is not cut and dried. Not a slam dunk that speed limits are arbitrary and not connected to safety.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird View Post
Since it is definitely true that "Car Enthusiasts" are not known for their knowledge and care of their vehicles, but are wrongly considered "dangerous", you have to put things in a "FAR LOW PEDANTIC" level, and ask this question....

What sounds safer to you? Doing 100mph with Mario Andretti (or Michael Schumacher, whoever you like), or doing 40mph with an 80 year old (or 16 year old, they have the same reflexes)?

Speed, and vehicle weight/capabilities, etc, those are "contributing" factors, but they are NOT the cause. The cause is the driver. It always is, always has been, and always will be. If you are a safe driver and obey your situation, the chances of accidents declines significantly. If you are one of those people who thinks he/she drives well, and then you are talking on the cell phone and texting and speeding in a non-performance car while on damp roads, etc etc etc, then you will have an increased chance of an accident.

WOW! Such a difficult concept to understand. Well, for CNN it is. Any network that still allows Rick Sanchez to have a show, that just says it all right there.
So true. I wasnt in high school all that long ago and I remember always wanting to be the last out of the lot because I never felt safe with them behind me.

There was also a girl who totaled 2 cars and a truck my senior year. She actually rolled the truck. Dont you think that you should examine your habbits and think about improving your driving at that point?

But then again she was blond, super skinny, talked like OMG, and was the captain of the cheerleaders.

Appreciate 0