BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

06-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #89
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCzar128i View Post
There seems to be an ample supply of idiots on here that think driving to endanger is cute, or an entitlement, or brave, or whatever. I wish the boy racers here would replace the posted photos of their shiny lease payments with photos of their genitals, because the sane people on this forum could use a good laugh.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #90
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
There seems to be an ample supply of idiots on here that think driving to endanger is cute, or an entitlement, or brave, or whatever. I wish the boy racers here would replace the posted photos of their shiny lease payments with photos of their genitals, because the sane people on this forum could use a good laugh.
My car was purchased in full DB. 9" cut. I'm really cute too. But, sorry, you're obviously not my type.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #91
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phased View Post
That's because you are dead either way. However, speed and injury are strongly correlated.
And, it's all relative to/in consideration of all other factors too. That's my point. I may be mistaken in that there's no difference at all, but it's still all relative to a bevy of conditions/circumstances. The differences are so slight that it really doesn't make much of a difference in the end. It's everything else that comes into play.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #92
clausy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport Pack

Merritt Parkway according to the guide. I live a mile from it. It's fabulous. But beware of yuppies in BMWs. There's a great flat stretch near Wallingford where you could probably do at least 125, allegedly. Probably not recommended though.

I drove up to Limerock on Saturday up Rt 8 and was on double guard. Ditto in a couple of weeks heading up to Montreal (Canadian GP). Take it easy, everyone. it's too easy to go fast. And yes I've done Skippy too (Laguna Seca High Perf), awesome. After that I'm more inclined to do more track days, autox etc and keep it down on the street. Highly recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #93
Berduderunner
drk one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Move to FL! Got 3 double the speed limit tickets in the course of 2 years.
Just pay for a traffic lawyer.

(never got a ticket in the 1 tho)
BMS JB3 v2.0 | BMS DCI | Berk Tech Sport Exhaust | UR * DPs | CoolingMist Meth Kit w/ CMGS | H&R OE Sport Springs | Breyton GTS-R | Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs | GP Thunder 8000K Low Beams/Angel Eyes/Cornering Lights | LED Interior Light Kit | Window Tint | Smoked Tail Lights | Smoked License Plate Cover
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #94
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
SLOWING FOR CURVES. It's kind of one of the cornerstones of the "Driving for Conditions" mantra. I can see why it would be a foreign concept to you at 55mph though, so don't sweat it.
Yeah, that must be it. A foreign concept.

"Mantra", an interesting word. Never use it much though. Sort of has a stigma about it don't you think?

Anyway, when was hustling and scrambling towards an instructors rating after I found out that all the club instructors got loads of free track time, a couple kids road with me to get some parts and bring them back to an event at Road Atlanta. They got out of the car when we got back and asked me how long I had been an instructor. I told them I wasn't yet but why did they assume I was. They replied that I drove the speed limit like an old lady the same way most of the instructors they knew did. Funny, that was the first misconception I had about certified instructors - that they would be road maniacs.

Now it makes sense to me and sort of sums it up that while highway commandos like you bathe in the glory of braking the laws and reducing others safety to a coefficient of your great skills, real competitive drivers are on a track somewhere pushing their cars and their skills to limits the public roads just can not provide. And they are doing it legally, openly and having more fun while gaining more skills than merely being a public nuisance will ever deliver.

So I guess I won't sweat it, the 55. I'll save the sweating for 155 while I'm contemplating whether I can pull off passing on the inside at the next turn....

... on the track.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #95
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
There is an equally abundant supply of retards who can't tell the difference between street racing and exceeding a ridiculously low legal speed limit. I wish the Sunday-School-teaching sheeple would replace the posted self-righteous drivel with photos of their minivans, because the free-thinking questioners of authority on this forum could use a good laugh.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #96
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
Anyway, when was hustling and scrambling towards an instructors rating after I found out that all the club instructors got loads of free track time, a couple kids road with me to get some parts and bring them back to an event at Road Atlanta. They got out of the car when we got back and asked me how long I had been an instructor. I told them I wasn't yet but why did they assume I was. They replied that I drove the speed limit like an old lady the same way most of the instructors they knew did. Funny, that was the first misconception I had about certified instructors - that they would be road maniacs.
All of my fellow instructors drive for conditions. That includes the ones who only drive 65 because they're AARP members and they know their physical limits.

Are you a fossil too by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #97
clausy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport Pack

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #98
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I really don't understand your attitude man. You did something really dumb...ie cruise at 101 on a high enforcement day. But more importantly you sped like that on a day with a large traffic flow.

If you are going to do 101 save it for 2am when the roads are clear

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #99
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Consider this thread-wide Official Warning for personal attacks(overdue)
      06-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #100
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I really don't understand your attitude man. You did something really dumb...ie cruise at 101 on a high enforcement day. But more importantly you sped like that on a day with a large traffic flow.

If you are going to do 101 save it for 2am when the roads are clear
Did you read any of my post(s) on this? It seems like you didn't. The road was EMPTY when I did this mild run up to 100MPH or so.

Reading comprehension is a serious issue on this board. Or, maybe it's just that people like to criticize.

My attitude is in complete check. READ THE POSTS FOLKS!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #101
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatjoez View Post
dude... if I was you,
after making a comment like that,
I'd be checking all my previous forum posts / photos to make sure no-one could trace it back to me in real life.

You'd be murdered in court if the prosecutor/judge read that.....
As stated, SOME of what I post is just to stir the pot. It's just too easy on this board ...with all the completely moral, ethical, correct, right-living members and all.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #102
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here are the key parts of the law...

Sec. 14-222. Reckless driving. (a) No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway of the state, or any road of any specially chartered municipal association or of any district organized under the provisions of chapter 105, a purpose of which is the construction and maintenance of roads and sidewalks, or in any parking area for ten cars or more or upon any private road on which a speed limit has been established in accordance with the provisions of section 14-218a or upon any school property recklessly, having regard to the width, traffic and use of such highway, road, school property or parking area, the intersection of streets and the weather conditions. The operation of a motor vehicle upon any such highway, road or parking area for ten cars or more at such a rate of speed as to endanger the life of any person other than the operator of such motor vehicle, or the operation, downgrade, upon any highway, of any motor vehicle with a commercial registration with the clutch or gears disengaged, or the operation knowingly of a motor vehicle with defective mechanism, shall constitute a violation of the provisions of this section. The operation of a motor vehicle upon any such highway, road or parking area for ten cars or more at a rate of speed greater than eighty-five miles per hour shall constitute a violation of the provisions of this section.

Operating recklessly within the meaning of this section requires a conscious choice of action either with knowledge of the serious danger to others involved in it or with knowledge of facts which would disclose this danger to a reasonable man. There must be something more than a failure to use reasonable care, something more than gross negligence. 22 CS 391. Neither speed nor driving under the influence of liquor would alone be sufficient for a conviction for reckless driving, but such circumstances in conjunction with other circumstances can be taken into consideration in determining whether a defendant showed a reckless disregard of consequences. Id., 400. Nature of reckless misconduct discussed. 24 CS 108. Cited. Id., 156. Cited. 26 CS 184. The misconduct of the plaintiff was simple negligence and not the exacerbated type which is reckless misconduct. 31 CS 325. Cited. 37 CS 661. Cited. 38 CS 549.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread