BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

New Helmet Advice

Guys. I am looking for a new helmet this season and leaning towards OMP. The one I am after at Vivid. http://www.vividracing.ca/omp_speed_...1013485433.php

Any opinions?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

OMP, Arai, and Stilo are all high quality brands, so you can't go wrong. The OMP you linked to looks good, though I prefer a closeable visor even in a closed cockpit car. You can install a visor on this helmet easily. If you are using a HANS device, some of the newer helmets go beyond just predrilled holes for HANS, but glued in female M6, which I believe takes them to SAH2010 compliance. If you go the predrilled route, then HANS cam provide a backing nut to install the M6 fitting.

The most important thing is always fit. Needs to be snug enough that your skin moves on your skull and face when you try to move it side to side or up and down. But not so snug that you are getting hurtful pressure points or headaches.

Different brands suit different shaped heads, despite having many sizes. I tried the new Stilo (great because of the options for integrated radio, water, air, etc.), but the medium size was too small and the large was too big. I was getting very uncomfortable pressure points on my head and their padding options for the larger size didn't make the helmet snug enough. Ended up with an Arai GP6S and am very happy with it, though it was not totally comfortable until it "broke in" a bit. If the Arai had not fit, I would have looked into a Bell (which I have had before), even though the Arai and Stilo have a bit more high quality feel to them.

Anyway, if you have not used an OMP before, make sure you buy from someone that has a good return policy or buy at a brick and mortar shop.
Appreciate 0