E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Why not get an aftermarket 2-way pager ALARM instead of the factory system?

02-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
smellygas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 325i (very soon)

Why not get an aftermarket 2-way pager ALARM instead of the factory system?

Why not get an aftermarket 2-way pager ALARM instead of the factory system?

The way I see it, the smart keyfob already prevents a random thief from driving off with your car. The problems that remain are:
1) theft of car by tow/flatbed
2) breaking of windows to steal stereo/belongings OR to search for a spare key in the glove compartment

The factory alarm may not prevent towaway theft, but would at least attract attention/witnesses while the siren is going off. It won’t prevent someone from breaking windows to gain access, but a thief may “knock” your car to see if there’s an alarm first. An audible alarm/chirp may discourage the guy from breaking the window. Either way, it attracts attention and/or potential witnesses.

HOWEVER, once the car is towed to the chopshop, it’s gone. When will you discover it missing? The next morning? Your car will be in Mexico/Canada by then. At least with the 2-way pager, you would be notified when the alarm goes off. For any kind of vehicle theft, you could notify police immediately, rather than half a day later. If someone has vandalized your car, you could notify police from a safe distance...rather than discovering broken glass hours later. Finally, there’s peace of mind – if your pager is silent, you know your car is safe.

Comments?

SmellyGas
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

u got to be joking about the 2 way pager right? i hope u realize it will not notify u via the 2 way pager remote if ur x distance away or underground parked or ur located x number floors in building. i use to have the autopage crap and it was a piece of shit to be honest. i switched to a regular remote for my honda. r u ready to carry 2 bulky keys with u at all times?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I'm sure the 911 operator will love that one -- oh, your car paged you? We'll be right there!

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
I agree govtec. Car paging is a waste of money. If you are worried about recovery spend your money on LoJack. Otherwise just make sure your insurance is up to date and you won't loose any sleep.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 05:13 PM   #5
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Main reason: The factory alarm works with the prewired system and activates your clown nose to blink. It also does have GPS built in so BMW assist can locate your car after it is stolen.
      02-04-2006, 05:29 PM   #6
smellygas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by govtec
u got to be joking about the 2 way pager right? i hope u realize it will not notify u via the 2 way pager remote if ur x distance away or underground parked or ur located x number floors in building. i use to have the autopage crap and it was a piece of shit to be honest. i switched to a regular remote for my honda. r u ready to carry 2 bulky keys with u at all times?
Interesting. The newer models should extend at least 1/4 mile or a few blocks, which is about as far away as I'd be parking my car at night. Not everyone parks their car in an underground garage or lives 10 floors up.

SmellyGas
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 05:32 PM   #7
smellygas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
Main reason: The factory alarm works with the prewired system and activates your clown nose to blink. It also does have GPS built in so BMW assist can locate your car after it is stolen.
The blinking clown nose is a nice deterrent, but I'm sure it's possible to rig that thing to blink without the alarm - in a worst case scenario, just replacing the LED with your own circuit. As far as BMW assist is concerned, not everyone has that package.

SmellyGas
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 05:35 PM   #8
smellygas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
I'm sure the 911 operator will love that one -- oh, your car paged you? We'll be right there!
Ya know, the concept of calling 911 immediately BEFORE verifying that the car was actually stolen never really crossed my mind...but I can see how some people might be dumb enough to do that, or perhaps infer that this was what the 2-way pager was designed for.

SmellyGas
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 05:35 PM   #9
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
They just dont work like they are supposed to. Most of the people that have them say they dont work have the time and arent worth it. Plus I think it would be difficult to integrate with the car.

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #10
smellygas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3aficionado
I agree govtec. Car paging is a waste of money. If you are worried about recovery spend your money on LoJack. Otherwise just make sure your insurance is up to date and you won't loose any sleep.
LoJack would help you recover your car if it's stolen. But if it takes you half a day to figure out somebody swiped your vehicle, there's a good chance it will be partially disassembled by the time the cops finally show up. The 2-way pager allows you to a) verify ur car was stolen and b) notify the police immediately.

I'm not sure why you think it's a waste of money, because it's actually less expensive than the BMW factory system. I'm confused.

With regard to insurance, if your car is stolen, and either not recovered or declared total loss, you'll end up paying:
a) $500-$1000 deductible
b) rental car for a month
c) the difference between car's value and what's left on the loan (if you don't have gap insurance)
c) lost time from dealing with police/insurance

If the car is recovered and involved in an accident or partially disassembled, than even if your insurance covers the cost of repairs, you've lost several thousand dollars in resale value.

LoJack does nothing to deter ppl from breaking your window and jacking your belongings or looking for a spare key.

So far, I haven't really heard any good arguments as to why you wouldn't want to get a 2-way paging aftermarket alarm, which is less expensive than the factory system, and can offer better security and peace of mind.

SmellyGas
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #11
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellygas
The blinking clown nose is a nice deterrent, but I'm sure it's possible to rig that thing to blink without the alarm - in a worst case scenario, just replacing the LED with your own circuit. As far as BMW assist is concerned, not everyone has that package.

SmellyGas
Sounds easy enough, but search these threads and see how many have posted questions about how to do this. No answers!

As for BMW assist, I thought we were all required to have at least one year of this. I don't have the concierge services, just the emergency assistance. Even if you do not have the feature, I believe they will still locate it for you. Perhaps there would be a charge?
      02-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #12
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LoJack would help you recover your car if it's stolen. But if it takes you half a day to figure out somebody swiped your vehicle, there's a good chance it will be partially disassembled by the time the cops finally show up. The 2-way pager allows you to a) verify ur car was stolen and b) notify the police immediately.

I'm not sure why you think it's a waste of money, because it's actually less expensive than the BMW factory system. I'm confused.

With regard to insurance, if your car is stolen, and either not recovered or declared total loss, you'll end up paying:
a) $500-$1000 deductible
c) the difference between car's value and what's left on the loan (if you don't have gap insurance)

If the car is recovered and involved in an accident or partially disassembled, than even if your insurance covers the cost of repairs, you've lost several thousand dollars in resale value.

LoJack does nothing to deter ppl from breaking your window and jacking your belongings or looking for a spare key.

So far, I haven't really heard any good arguments as to why you wouldn't want to get a 2-way paging aftermarket alarm, which is less expensive than the factory system, and can offer better security and peace of mind.

SmellyGas
how will the system be able to verify ur car was stolen when it couldn't verify the alarm going off and my car was within 1 block and 3 floors above ground? as far as pager reception, u must live in a 1 floor house with window walls and work in a 1 floor building with see through glass panel cubicle. i don't think many people have the same living arrangement like u in order to receive that clear of a reception for the pager to go off. the range is very limited, even though they may advertise as far as 1/4 miles reception, no obstacle must obstruct the view between car and remote for it to literally work. at that point u can visually see ur car being violated, ur pager system would be useless.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 01:57 AM   #13
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:

a) $500-$1000 deductible

SmellyGas
My deductible is $250.
My rental car is for 30 days for a premium reantal car.
My car is paid off.
Lost time is a bitch. But that just means you can upgrade to the latest and greatest E90.

If it gets stolen, its metal, and its replaceable. Life isnt. If you ever get in a confrontation, drop it, and give them whatever they want.

In Russia, the current trend is to steal a car with the driver inside of the car and then either kill the driver or drop them off a few hundred km's away.

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 10:23 AM   #14
smellygas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim
They just dont work like they are supposed to. Most of the people that have them say they dont work have the time and arent worth it. Plus I think it would be difficult to integrate with the car.
Would you mind telling us more about that?

SmellyGas
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #15
smellygas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim
My deductible is $250.
My rental car is for 30 days for a premium reantal car.
My car is paid off.
You insurance premiums are definitely higher if you choose a low deductible and rental car coverage. So you can either pay in advance (like you do), or pay up later (i..e high deductibles) if the car is stolen. Nothing comes for free, my friend.

As far as your car being paid off is concerned, once you drive the car off the lot, it becomes "used"....and it's market value drops substantially. If your car is stolen say 6 months after you buy it, your insurance company may only reimbuse you for market value - which is at least several thousand dollars less than what you paid. The old "no big deal if my car is stolen, my insurance will take care of me" argument doesn't really fly.

Quote:
Lost time is a bitch. But that just means you can upgrade to the latest and greatest E90.
That's always a plus. 328i!

SmellyGas
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 10:52 AM   #16
smellygas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
how will the system be able to verify ur car was stolen when it couldn't verify the alarm going off and my car was within 1 block and 3 floors above ground?
2-way paging alarms typically come with an LCD remote control that tell you exactly where the car has been violated (i.e. door opened, shock sensor, motion sensor trunk opened, etc.). Some will even tell you when the engine has been started. Based on the type of intrusion, you could decide whether to go outside and peak at the car from a safe distance.

[QUOTE]as far as pager reception, u must live in a 1 floor house with window walls and work in a 1 floor building with see through glass panel cubicle. i don't think many people have the same living arrangement like u in order to receive that clear of a reception for the pager to go off.

I'm not sure which model car alarm you're talking about, but I believe the newer higher-end models have longer range than the old-school ones. Some come with dipole antennas to extend range further. I honestly doubt you would need such restrictions in order for these devices to work.

Quote:
the range is very limited, even though they may advertise as far as 1/4 miles reception, no obstacle must obstruct the view between car and remote for it to literally work. at that point u can visually see ur car being violated, ur pager system would be useless.
You seem to speak very definitely about the range of these devices. Are you referring to one particular model, or have you tested many of them? And are these recent designs, or a decade old? Thanks for the comments.

Oh, and EVEN IF the 2-way paging system doesn't work 25% of the time because you're too far away, it's STILL better than the factory alarm, which has ZERO notification of intrusion (besides the alarm).

SmellyGas
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 10:54 AM   #17
smellygas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
Sounds easy enough, but search these threads and see how many have posted questions about how to do this. No answers!
It's just a matter of time, my friend. They figured it out eventually on the E46, I'm sure some motivated guy will figure it out on the E90.

Quote:
As for BMW assist, I thought we were all required to have at least one year of this. I don't have the concierge services, just the emergency assistance. Even if you do not have the feature, I believe they will still locate it for[/ you. Perhaps there would be a charge?
I thought BMW Assist was a $750 option or came with the Premium Package. Plus, it's like $240/year thereafter. I have neither.

SmellyGas
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 11:55 AM   #18
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
It's just a matter of time, my friend. They figured it out eventually on the E46, I'm sure some motivated guy will figure it out on the E90.

I thought BMW Assist was a $750 option or came with the Premium Package. Plus, it's like $240/year thereafter. I have neither.

SmellyGas
okay, that makes sense now. i got the premium package, and purchased a one year subscription subsequent to the complimentary one.

just an aside: in a previous post i indicated i had disconnected the seat belt warning device in all my previous vehicles (2 mustangs, 3 supras, 1 mr2, an explorer) because they were so annoying. the e90 chime is so unobtrusive, and since i fasten my safety belt usually within the first few seconds of driving (if not before), i never notice it. i'm planning on leaving it alone.
      02-05-2006, 02:24 PM   #19
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

if u don't mind me asking smellygas, how old r u? ur logic is comparable to a 14 year old h.s freshman.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 02:29 PM   #20
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Quote:

It’s a waste of money because I have never heard of one of these systems actually working well. Its worthless in the majority of situations where you will be in a building or home and the walls bring the range down to cordless phone levels (feet through walls; 1/4 miles in line of sight open areas). Maybe you never go indoors and live in Nebraska. In that case the paging system may work most of the time
Quote:
a) $500-$1000 deductible
a.) My deductible is pocket change to me. Unlike many, I don’t buy a car that is beyond my means so I can afford the small cost of deductibles.
b.) I have 30 days rental coverage which I would probably never need (see item c) and I can drive another one of my vehicles before/after the 30 days.
c.) I have replacement cost coverage and no loans on my vehicles. A deductible check is all I need to write to get a brand new car.
d.) No more lost time than you would have dealing with police and insurance when the car is broken into and/or stolen.

Time to repair, your deductible, a rental while in the shop and time with insurance all applies in your case too. So you are not saving any of this by being notified earlier of the assault on your car.

Quote:
Same thing applies to your car. Lets face it, by the time you get the page (if it works) you will have to verify the problem and then call the police. By this time the thief is gone with your car. They didnt call the movie 'Gone in 60 Seconds' for nothing - a typical thief will have the car moving before you can get out the door of your house/building. Not sure where you live but police don’t respond that fast to auto thefts which don’t involve car jacking (first party personal assault). Its just property and the police won’t be sending out a search party. Your car would get just as damaged if you are notified or not. At least you can watch your car be driven away before the police arrive
Quote:
Neither does a paging system. Only the alarm will do this – a good reason to buy the factory alarm.

Quote:
So far I have read nothing but bad reasons for buying these over promised paging systems. If these paging systems are so good everyone would be buying them and they wouldn’t cost less than an alarm. If they worked it would be a feature BMW adds to their alarm\fob or sold aftermarket for lots of money. I still don’t see how being notified immediately actually gives you better security than an alarm, LoJack, BMW Assist or good insurance.

Re: Making the clown nose blink:
Quote:
I agree someone will figure out some hack for the e90 clown nose. The e46 wasn’t a hack in order to make it work. The e46’s clown nose blinks when the car is locked for both alarmed and non-alarmed vehicles. They came from the factory that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #21
DWSPS
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 M4

I have a sec system with remote start on my acura, I think the manufacturer
is Clifford. The two way paging works great, and reception is very well. Much
much better than the keyless entry we have from bmw.

Unfortunately my bmw salesperson told me that I would void part of my warranty if I put on an after market remote start.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 05:22 PM   #22
smellygas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
if u don't mind me asking smellygas, how old r u? ur logic is comparable to a 14 year old h.s freshman.
Actually, I was thinking the exact same thing of you based solely on your language syntax, word choice, and juvenille abbreviations of words like "you" and "are." I would estimate that you are in your early 20's (at the most), but your written sophistication is about the "h.s. freshman" level. I should add just because someone shares a different opinion, doesn't make them automatically "14 years old."

In fact, I addressed every single one of your arguments specifically and without generalizing. Perhaps you could respond to them instead if you continue to feel that 2-way pagers are such "piece[s] of sh*t," as you say. Thanks for your comments.

SmellyGas
Appreciate 0