E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Why the E90 is better than the IS350, and it has nothing to do with the actual cars

02-01-2006, 11:45 AM   #45
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Obviously its a more complex situation to manage a build-to-order scenario for manufacturing a car with as many options as our E90 for example.

But I can not even quantify how much more satisfied I was with the purchase of my car because I was able to get it EXACTLY how I wanted it and thought would be ideal for me. It just seals the deal in my opinion. And everyone else who custom-built a car for themselves I'm sure feels the same way.
      02-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #46
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Quote:
Obviously its a more complex situation to manage a build-to-order scenario for manufacturing a car with as many options as our E90 for example.
One would think that the Japanese business model- what with the deep nature of the relationships between suppliers and producers, the vanuted efficiency of their production lines and the fact that they basically invented Just-In-Time manufacturing- would be able to build a car to order rather easily.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2006, 02:11 PM   #47
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52

But I can not even quantify how much more satisfied I was with the purchase of my car because I was able to get it EXACTLY how I wanted it and thought would be ideal for me. It just seals the deal in my opinion. And everyone else who custom-built a car for themselves I'm sure feels the same way.
I completely agree. Anyone want to guess at the odds of finding a 330i with a Manual Transmission, Nav, SP, PP and CA, just to mention the major options I got. I love the fact that the car is exactly the way I want it and honestly, for the amount of money these cars cost, I wouldn't expect it any other way.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2006, 09:09 PM   #48
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Ghunger, I want a demo of that CA when you finally get the car. Bastards didn't have it on sale when I ordered my car otherwise they would have had another $500 from me
      04-19-2006, 12:42 AM   #49
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
I did not order the CA option can this be done afterward ?

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 07:57 AM   #50
Chuck_IV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
Unfortunately no. From what I read, it has to be factory installed.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #51
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Very nice work and very entertaining. Great job guys!!

I agree with everything that has been said about Lexus. If it is hard to custom-order/specify Lexii (or Toyotas for that matter) why bother offering different piecemeal options...might as well take a page out of Honda/Acura's playbook and group them into trim levels (e.g. Sport model, Luxury Model, Sport-Luxury Model, Base model etc.). I am sure this way is much easier on the system/logistics as well as it make price researching much easier (and selling). From the looks of it, custom-ordering a Lexus is like ordering a BMW with BMW Individual options or Priority-One options, its doable but a PITA.

I have said it before. Custom ordering and providing facilities to track orders gives a good and special feeling to the buyer (we all know that feeling )...its what bonds us to the final car we take delivery on. Again, I think its shrewd marketing on BMW's part. Mercedes-Benz do custom-orders but I don't believe they offer the means to track by yourself. Same case with Audi although I believe they take longer than the BMW standard 6-8 weeks. But the king of custom orders have to be Porsche with their long-ass options list, you can really get what you want!!! of course I hear the waiting time is even longer (min 4 months I heard, depends on options) and a hefty deposit is required ($2500-$5000). Maserati has a nice custom order set up.

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 09:35 AM   #52
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

A friend of mine just got an IS350..While the interior is very nice, it seems to be very cramped and it seems like I have to recline into the back seat to be comfertable

I would take the 3 over any IS any day
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 12:45 PM   #53
Hej
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Black Sapphire 330i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat
Way too much. For a Toyota.
I'm curious. I keep on seeing comments thrown around how "Lexus = Toyota", trying to imply that Toyotas are crappy cars. What exactly is it, quality wise, that makes Toyota so poor? Last I checked, Toyota/Lexus stomps all over any German brand at all (BMW included) as far as reliability.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 12:55 PM   #54
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
We really appreciate you searching prior to asking questions and making new threads about it..

but you digged up a wrong thread. As far as the CA, no it can't be done as far as what we know right now.
I also asked my dealership if this can be done, they said its not going to be possible.

btw, thread like this should go back to sleep before bringing up any more arguements. So far, the posts in this thread are excellent.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #55
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hej
I'm curious. I keep on seeing comments thrown around how "Lexus = Toyota", trying to imply that Toyotas are crappy cars. What exactly is it, quality wise, that makes Toyota so poor? Last I checked, Toyota/Lexus stomps all over any German brand at all (BMW included) as far as reliability.
I don't think they are implying that Lexus/Toyotas are inferior in quality...the reference is more to do with breeding/engineering/feel. To some people buying into the brand/culture is part and parcel e.g. BMW, VW and Porsche...not to be confused with badge snobbery, the fine posters in these forums are enthusiasts first...

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #56
gscone
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche Turbo, 2017 BMW M

Very interesting read. My experience with getting my Rx330 was quite smooth. Got agreat deal without too much haggling, but then again, the Rx330 was already out for some time and the pricing had stabilized. BTW- this is our 3rd Lexus, coming from 2 LS430's before now the RX. ANyways, when it came to look around for another car, we naturally went to our lexus dealer and they refused to deal on the IS350. The IS250 was another story, but the best they did was $100 off a fully loaded IS, which was BS! Obviosuly, being a repeat customer does not matter too much to them.

They stressed the car was and still is in high demand. I'm glad I am now a part of the BMW community and can't wait for my ride to arrive sometime next week.

Last edited by gscone; 04-19-2006 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 01:17 PM   #57
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscone
Very interesting read. My experience with getting my Rx330 was quite smooth. Got agreat deal without too much haggling, but then again, the Rx330 was already out for some time and the pricing had stabilized. BTW- this is our 3rd Lexus, coming from 2 LS430's before now the RX. ANyways, when it came to look around for another car, we naturally went to our lexus dealer and they refused to deal on the IS350. The IS250 was another story, but the best they did was $100 off a fully loaded IS, which was BS! Obviosuly, being arepeat customer does not matter too much to them. They stressed the car was and still is in high demand. I'm glad I am now a part of the BMW community and can't wait for my ride to arrive sometime next week.
At least they talked to you! I went into the local Lexus delearship one night, wandered around in the showroom for about 5 minutes on my own before I finally popped my head into the office of one of the sales guys. He answered some of my questions from his chair, then I said I was going to look at the IS350 on the floor, and he said "ok, let me know if you have any more questions" and went back to his computer screen.

The next time I went in, I was ready to test drive, but they only had one salesman on that evening and he was with an elderly couple in his office. I waited almost a half hour then left.

Needless to say, I went with the e90. The IS350 was third on my list anyway (since it didn't have a stick shift). The G35 was second on my list but the salesguy there was a dumbass too - I had to keep correcting him on the specs and features. (side note - a coworker of mine tried to convince me I should by a Saab 9-3 because "it's much more comfortable than the BMW"... )

Based on the cars alone I probably would have gone with the e90 anyway, but in my neck of the woods Lexus and Infiniti have a long way to go in the service deparment before they can compete with BMW in that regard.
      04-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #58
gscone
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw

Based on the cars alone I probably would have gone with the e90 anyway, but in my neck of the woods Lexus and Infiniti have a long way to go in the service deparment before they can compete with BMW in that regard.

I dont know about that. My service with lexus has always been awesome. They even used to and currently pickup my cars from my driveway when I needed service and was not around to drop off the vehicle. That's amazing service. I think you just had a MOFO salesman who didn;t take you seriously..happens all the time.
      04-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #59
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
I dont know about that. My service with lexus has always been awesome. They even used to and currently pickup my cars from my driveway when I needed service and was not around to drop off the vehicle. That's amazing service. I think you just had a MOFO salesman who didn;t take you seriously..happens all the time.

I think he meant the sales rep., not the service department. I would have to agree with you on this one. Lexus offers awesome services. The service department in my area is like a hotel. The place is decked out with marbles and everything. They treat you like a king there. It's a separate building away from the dealership. Stevens Creek Lexus just remodeled their dealership. Now they have a bunch of cars INSIDE the building. You can check it out there and take it for a test drive. I think it's kinda cool to be able to do that and not having to check out cars under the scorching sun.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #60
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
You're probably right, I might have just been unlucky on my two trips, and maybe they didn't take me seriously (backwards hat, baggy jeans, puffy vest jacket). However, the saleswoman at BMW did take me seriously and it's that point of contact service that a customer will remember and relate to. I'm sure my experience is not the norm, but it was MY experience.

Who knows, if I had complained a little up the chain of command at Lexus they may have showered me with great service and apologizing for their MOFO salesguy. Point is, one shouldn't have to complain about service in order to get good service.
      04-19-2006, 02:06 PM   #61
gscone
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw
You're probably right, I might have just been unlucky on my two trips, and maybe they didn't take me seriously (backwards hat, baggy jeans, puffy vest jacket). However, the saleswoman at BMW did take me seriously and it's that point of contact service that a customer will remember and relate to. I'm sure my experience is not the norm, but it was MY experience.

Who knows, if I had complained a little up the chain of command at Lexus they may have showered me with great service and apologizing for their MOFO salesguy. Point is, one shouldn't have to complain about service in order to get good service.
I Agree
      04-20-2006, 06:56 AM   #62
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hej
When I say that, it's a joke - a tongue-in-cheek reference to the way everybody else says it. Which, of course, never translates well online.

I have no aversion to buying a Toyota or anything else, regardless of badge. I just want the best product that fits my needs and wants. Believe me, if Toyota could somehow manage to build the same level of driver involvement into their cars as they do mechanical durability, I'd be among the first to buy.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 08:33 AM   #63
M3ti Compact
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 318ti, E90 325i

Garage List
1995 BMW 318ti  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325  [0.00]
lol...my dad works at a Lexus dealer.

They sell every single IS they can get their hands on. Even the used ones that come in last for less than a week on the lot with minimal discount off the price of a new one.

If you don't want the car that they are offering you, move aside for the next guy, seriously.

And one more thing, the old IS300 had a manual trans option, but less than 10% sold with manuals. You might think there is demand for manuals, but in reality, they are not, and they are the most difficult IS to sell used.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 09:23 AM   #64
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact
lol...my dad works at a Lexus dealer.

They sell every single IS they can get their hands on. Even the used ones that come in last for less than a week on the lot with minimal discount off the price of a new one.

If you don't want the car that they are offering you, move aside for the next guy, seriously.

And one more thing, the old IS300 had a manual trans option, but less than 10% sold with manuals. You might think there is demand for manuals, but in reality, they are not, and they are the most difficult IS to sell used.
And for most cars you're right, that kind of stat (10% manuals) would cause a manufacturer to not come out with another one. However, to come out with the new IS350 and not be shy about saying that it's aiming at the 3-series' throne (heck, the IS brochure is pictures of the IS all over germany!!) then you need to target the 3-series' market (50% manual), not your previous IS market (10% manual).

(Don't know know the exact numbers, but my salesperson at BMW said about 50% of their 3 sales are manual transmissions.)

Coming out with the IS350 in auto only automatically (pardon the pun) eliminates buyers like myself who will always own and drive a manual transmission. Granted, guys like me may be in the minority, but I don't think it's a small minority among 3-series owners.