BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-03-2005, 01:09 AM   #1
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

What does wealth mean to you?

I just finished watching an ABC / 20/20 documentary on some of the new millionaires/ billionaires in America. Each person seemed to percieve weatlh in very different ways, but all played around the same theme of giving instead of recieving. While many of the young and rich are very enveloped in the "life in the fast lane", there are those that appreciate hardwork, and more importantly the people that make wealth possible.

Enough summary, I want to know how you guys interpret wealth, and what wealth means to you?

For me, wealth is more of a state of mind, being happy w/ where I'm at in life, constantly refining my craft, building and nurturing my realtionships(family, freinds, etc.), and always realizing new dreams, turning them into reality. You never wanna eat alone at the dinner table. The money and all the material things come last, those things could go on forever, but you don't.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 01:14 AM   #2
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ;D

Hmm.. I know the answer to this, but I can't quite put it into words.

Wealth isn't what I can buy with money, but more so the people and things in my life that are meaningful to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
3some
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E90 //M Sport 320i S/Black

Garage List
Family, Love, Respect, Power and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-4life
You never wanna eat alone at the dinner table...
I think that's my answer right there. I think I'd rather be a bum gathered around a bum-fire eating with my other bum friends, rather than sit at a giant table with waitors and waitresses and butlers serving me all alone in a huge mansion.

Well, maybe that's taking it to the extreme a little too much, but you get the idea. That's how I see it. What good is money when you have no one to buy things for, no one to take out to eat with, or shop or see a movie with?

See that's the problem that movie stars and other rich people have. Sure, you can pretty much get anyone you want with enough capital, but if love isn't there, then you're just buying someone and eventually you'll (or they'll) get bored.

I've often thought about what it would be like in a world with no money...in a world where no one is selfish and everyone works, just to work for the advancement of mankind--not to make money for themselves...a world where if you want to drive a BMW, or a Ferarri, you just go down to the local car community and take the car you want and keep it as long as you want, then return it when you're done.

Wait, what am I talking about???
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Wealth in the monetary sense is being able to walk into a Ferrari dealership and buying one in cash...the dealer I mean.

Quote:
wealth Audio pronunciation of "wealth" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (wlth)
n.

1. An abundance of valuable material possessions or resources; riches.
2. The state of being rich; affluence.
2. All goods and resources having value in terms of exchange or use.
3. A great amount; a profusion: a wealth of advice.
But wealth can be applied to other aspects that you already listed.

God, I'd like to buy a dealership though lol
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 10:11 AM   #6
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

family and friends
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 11:49 AM   #7
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183

I've often thought about what it would be like in a world with no money...in a world where no one is selfish and everyone works, just to work for the advancement of mankind--not to make money for themselves...a world where if you want to drive a BMW, or a Ferarri, you just go down to the local car community and take the car you want and keep it as long as you want, then return it when you're done.

Wait, what am I talking about???

Isn't that almost kind of like..Communism in a way?

I did something very similar to the "what if we were poor and had no money" senerio as a community service and growth thing last year. I went to a homeless shelter and lived there with the homeless for a week and didn't get to shower and ate only once a day. It gave me the chance to get to know these people and the type of lives they lead. Even though they didn't live in huge houses, have the huge cars or the bling, they were SO THANKFUL for what they had. They were so happy they had place to stay instead of sitting outside and sleeping on sidewalks and they were so thankful they even got a meal at all. They were also really closely bonded with each other -- something a lot of people in our society lack. Growing up in California, people here are so busy. People are so caught up in their work and making moneythat they often times pass other people up without noticing them and they don't spend anytime with their family.

Staying in that homeless shelter for a week really made me reorganize and reestablish the things in my life that matter the most to me. Granted, life is great when there is enough money to buy the things you need, but it's nothing if you don't have people to share your happiness with.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 12:13 PM   #8
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Wealth in the monetary sense is being able to walk into a Ferrari dealership and buying one in cash...the dealer I mean.

But wealth can be applied to other aspects that you already listed.

God, I'd like to buy a dealership though lol
Be careful what you wish for! There are a ton of insurance fee's, workers to take care of, etc. On top of all that you have to consistantly out perform every other dealer to buld a solid rep so that people will want to come and buy from you. Not so much a negative, not at all, just a lot to think about.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 01:04 PM   #9
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-4life
Be careful what you wish for! There are a ton of insurance fee's, workers to take care of, etc. On top of all that you have to consistantly out perform every other dealer to buld a solid rep so that people will want to come and buy from you. Not so much a negative, not at all, just a lot to think about.
I know, that's what makes it all the more appealing. Seeing so many BAD dealerships make me want to create one more that customers would enjoy coming to.

But that wasn't the point, I was just saying being so rich that you could just buy the entire dealer and its whole inventory would be nice
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
I know, that's what makes it all the more appealing. Seeing so many BAD dealerships make me want to create one more that customers would enjoy coming to.

But that wasn't the point, I was just saying being so rich that you could just buy the entire dealer and its whole inventory would be nice
Indeed it would
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 10:56 AM   #11
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroutte
Isn't that almost kind of like..Communism in a way?
Yeah, I guess you could say it's communism. Only what I was saying isn't government controlled. I meant we as people kind of evolved to higher standards and had more important things on our minds than money. I think that will happen someday, because we're still really primitive in that sense.

I'll make a prediction. I'll say in 2000 years from now, there will be no such thing as money. Too bad none of us will be around that long to see it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 12:29 PM   #12
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Money's existence is not as bad as the existence of religion but hey, that's another topic.

Wealth is monetary. Personal gratification and self-esteem are separate and utterly disparate entities. Wealth doesn't gaurantee personal gratification and/or self-esteem.

Osama Bin Laden is a son of a multi-billionaire Saudi. Yet he spent most of his life sleeping on dirt floors and eating rice. I'm sure he's happy doing what he's doing.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 12:45 PM   #13
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Osama Bin Laden is a son of a multi-billionaire Saudi. Yet he spent most of his life sleeping on dirt floors and eating rice. I'm sure he's happy doing what he's doing.
Ha ha ha! Nice example!

I guess you're right though. It kind of makes sense. I mean, I landed a pretty good job, making decent money and drive an awesome car, and my problems are just starting!!!

Maybe Puff Daddy and Biggie had it right?

Before Puff Daddy sold out, that is!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 01:07 PM   #14
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Wealth is many things, mostly very hard to put into words other than money, happiness and such simple things.

I'm hecka wealthy though, sometimes I can't believe how lucky I am to be so wealthy in life. Do I deserve it? I really can't say since the majority that makes up my overall wealth cannot be meassured in value, but I do know that I'm working hard to be deserving of all this wealth.

But even when I do lose some of my wealth, I'll be wealthier in return due to everything I gain from having lost things.

Yup.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 03:04 PM   #15
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
The biggest problem is that people usually try to equate wealth with happiness. I haven't achieved my idea of wealth yet, but many others who have don't seem very happy.

So, to get back to the original question, I define wealth as the ability to live life without financial constraints. Imagine waking up one day and being able to do whatever you wanted and not even think about how much it will cost. This is the type of money that would allow you to pursue your true passions instead of simply the pursuit of more money.

You really can't put a monetary figure on wealth since it's all relative. There are people out there that would consider my E90 an extravagance, but other's who wouldn't be caught dead in such a "lowly" car.

I consider myself fortunate because I was happy even when I was broke. Having a few nice things just makes it that much better.

Michael
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 11:18 PM   #16
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
In the monetary sense, I'm far from "wealthy" by most people's definition... or even by my own definition of the wealth I would like to attain. I feel wealthy though. I have just about every material item I feel I could possibly want at age 25 without any debt aside from my mortgage. I'm enjoying my work and my financial future looks bright so I have that to look forward to.

It's really easy to get so caught up in what you want, or what others have relative to you... that you neglect to take the time to enjoy what you have right now. Pretty much everyone on this forum drives a brand new BMW so you should at least be able to take some pleasure in that.

Money doesn't buy hapiness, but setting goals and challenges for yourself (whatever they are) and reaching them is a very satisfying feeling. I have plenty of them to look forward to, I hope.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 11:35 PM   #17
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Money causes more problems if anything at all. Doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing, just gotta know how to handle it. I dont think I'd ever be happy if I lived life in the pursuit of all things money could buy.. including relationshps.. which aren't real to begin w/. But hey, there are people out there who do it...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2005, 03:10 PM   #18
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Wealth is having that abundance to be able to share with others, regardless of the mechanism (money, happiness, knowledge, spiritualism) you are using as a measure.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2005, 03:50 PM   #19
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
Wealth is having that abundance to be able to share with others, regardless of the mechanism (money, happiness, knowledge, spiritualism) you are using as a measure.
I agree partly, as I do not think the ability to share with others is necessary since everyone has a different mindset. However, having an "...abundance... of the mechanism" which makes you happy is definitely the key. In our society these days, this mechanism would be money 75% of the time. Money cannot buy EVERYTHING, but it sure does buy a lot. So whenever someone says money cannot buy you happiness, I tell them to give me a million dollars right now and I'll show you how happy I can be.
      12-05-2005, 04:01 PM   #20
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Wealth is freedom from need or maybe want.
....nah!!!! I go for freedom of need, for Im always wanting something I dont really need.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2005, 04:18 PM   #21
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
bill gates............
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2005, 04:29 PM   #22
kal-el
son of Jor-el
United_States
Rep
Drives: I fly

Garage List
2005 X3  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325  [0.00]
2006 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
Appreciate 0