BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Da_Meister_22
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 & F85 X5M

Garage List
Exclamation ||| Active Autowerke | N52 Green Filter Development Thread |||

1Addicts post members,

As most of you know we have dyno tested a few of the most common aftermarket intakes on the market with out any favorable results to say the least. We will be putting into production a drop in filter for the N52 made by Green filter USA. We have been using Green for many years to produce some of the best selling drop in filters for the N55 and M3 market.

Why go green ?

Why are Green High Performance Air Filters important to you? Well, lets take a look at a few key points:

Green High Performance Air Filters are uniquely designed to take full advantage of cottons capabilities.

Unlike multi-layer gauze filters which can fray and release fiber particles into your engine, Green Filter USA uses two layers of tightly-interwoven cotton fabric. The 3 main benefits to woven cotten are the fact its thinner, holds oil better, and is stronger. Since its thinner, it allows better air flow without sacrificing filtration. The cotton holds the oil more evenly, and the medium is much stronger. Unlike gauze, you cannot wear a hole in woven cotton by rubbing it, and there is no way small bits of cotton can rip off since its interlocked with another piece.

Cross weaving one fine, and one medium layer, produces a fabric that is thinner and stronger than other materials and has the ablity to trap dirt up down to 5 microns. The result is better airflow without sacrificing filtration. And because the fabric is so durable, they can be washed and reused over and over, which allows us to give it a lifetime gaurantee.

Green Filter USA filters are coated in steel mesh for extra strength and durability, because of this, Green filters are much more dent resistant.
Other filters use a simple pressure molded injection process to bond the perimeter rubber to the interior components. That method saves manufacturing time, but in the process, a considerable amount of rubber can seep onto the filtering surface. This can restrict airflow as much as 25%.
Green Filter USA uses a time-consuming and costlier 4 step production process which virtually eliminates seepage and maintains maximum airflow through the filter.

Green Filter USA filters offer fully seam welded, powder coated, laser cut steel housing with pre-assembled rubber seals on our intake housings.

Custom molded oversized OEM quality intake tubes with aircraft stainless steel clamps and hardware. Reinforced silicon connectors. Most other filters use chrome as their end cap, which has its aesthetic look but chrome does not last as long as stainless steel, which is why we provide you with polished stainless steel end caps.

Green Filter USA filters come pre-treated with a specially formulated dirt trapping oil. This oil creates a positive magnetic charge, or ionic bond, with the filters stainless steel mesh. The positive charge attracts the negatively charged dust particles entering the filter, causing them to cling to the steel mesh and allowing the cotton to remain clear for maximum airflow.

Economical - A paper filter should be replaced between 4,000 to 5,000 miles or every oil change. The average cost of a paper filter is about $10 to $12. After one year of driving 15,000 miles, at least 3 paper filters are needed. This totals $30 to $35. After one to two years, a Lifetime Green Filter is already paid for. This benefit is for everyone - a daily driver, an older vehicle or someone looking for the best performance.

Hand molded flexible rubber base on filters.

Green Filter USA rubber molds create air tight seals. We also feature trim-able custom fitment tabs on all filters.

Green Filter USA uses deeper air filter pleats which creates 20% more filtration surface.

Green Filter USA mesh is colored green so that even if the filter is dirty, it still appears green.

Race proven gains and technology.

So stay tuned, because I will keep you guys updated as more news become available.

AW F10 ///M5
AW F85 X5///M
BootMode3 STG 2///Project-Gamma Intakes///ActiveAutowerke DPs///Maxton-Design Body Kit
@MeisterAutosport @RatedMClub @RatedMRally
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
Pothole
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E88 125i, RR sport 3.0tdv6

What kind of gains are you claiming for a stock car as opposed to the race proven gains?
BMW E88 125i - Tunex Tuned@ 228whp - Cyba Scoops - Performance Kidneys - Performance Exhaust - Performance Intake - BMW Strutbar - 3d Design Carbon Diffuser - Blacklines - Golf Tee - FK Coilovers - Klutch SL14

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
Da_Meister_22
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pothole View Post
What kind of gains are you claiming for a stock car as opposed to the race proven gains?
I personally don't like to "claim" anything without having any tests (dyno runs, charts, etc.) to back it up. Once the filter is developed and properly tested....only then you'll see me claiming

So stay tuned.

AW F10 ///M5
AW F85 X5///M
BootMode3 STG 2///Project-Gamma Intakes///ActiveAutowerke DPs///Maxton-Design Body Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
Pothole
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E88 125i, RR sport 3.0tdv6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny@ActiveAutowerke View Post
I personally don't like to "claim" anything without having any tests (dyno runs, charts, etc.) to back it up. Once the filter is developed and properly tested....only then you'll see me claiming

So stay tuned.
I will!

Good luck on the development!
BMW E88 125i - Tunex Tuned@ 228whp - Cyba Scoops - Performance Kidneys - Performance Exhaust - Performance Intake - BMW Strutbar - 3d Design Carbon Diffuser - Blacklines - Golf Tee - FK Coilovers - Klutch SL14

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
livewire85
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
Have you guys dyno tested the injen short ram intake? I've seen some very positive results from their dynos as well as independent dyno runs. There is a member on here who did a dyno run with the injen intake compared to stock and gained an average of 8whp. That's pretty impressive to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire85 View Post
Have you guys dyno tested the injen short ram intake? I've seen some very positive results from their dynos as well as independent dyno runs. There is a member on here who did a dyno run with the injen intake compared to stock and gained an average of 8whp. That's pretty impressive to me.
Can confirm the injen shows 0 gains. All it did was make my torque curve go full retard, but maybe because it was almost 40 degrees celcius. I'm still not convinced it offers any gains whatsoever though.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

These sound nice, but I must disagree with the claim that standard air filers only last 5,000 miles. They should be good for at least three times that, if not longer (maybe even up to 30,000).
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #8
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

As a heads up to AA, most of us who have a stock box are not using the US intake anymore. We are using the euro which has a different filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
These sound nice, but I must disagree with the claim that standard air filers only last 5,000 miles. They should be good for at least three times that, if not longer (maybe even up to 30,000).
They are an inspection 1 and 2 item, so every 15k.
      02-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #9
livewire85
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousgook
Quote:
Can confirm the injen shows 0 gains. All it did was make my torque curve go full retard, but maybe because it was almost 40 degrees celcius. I'm still not convinced it offers any gains whatsoever though.
Wow, why would you do a dyno when it's 105 f outside? @pushkin did several dyno runs for different phases of his project. Shows nice gains for exhaust and intake. Hopefully I get my dyno runs in soon to provide further evidence.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #10
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, why would you do a dyno when it's 105 f outside? @pushkin did several dyno runs for different phases of his project. Shows nice gains for exhaust and intake. Hopefully I get my dyno runs in soon to provide further evidence.
Single dyno pull also does not do much to account for heatsoak.
      02-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #11
Da_Meister_22
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I used to go through countless threads about these intakes on 5 series forums. They all ended up in the same "loss of power" due to hot air. There are chances that on the first 3 or so Dyno runs with the hood open that you could get a possible gain, but try on a 4th run with the hood closed and a hot engine, I know we've seen it here. On real time conditions (for example Miami) where normal temperature is 88 degrees and higher plus humidity...you'll only be paying to make your car slower. Best solution for our cars are the "drop in" design filters, no doubt.

AW F10 ///M5
AW F85 X5///M
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #12
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny@ActiveAutowerke View Post
I used to go through countless threads about these intakes on 5 series forums. They all ended up in the same "loss of power" due to hot air. There are chances that on the first 3 or so Dyno runs with the hood open that you could get a possible gain, but try on a 4th run with the hood closed and a hot engine, I know we've seen it here. On real time conditions (for example Miami) where normal temperature is 88 degrees and higher plus humidity...you'll only be paying to make your car slower. Best solution for our cars are the "drop in" design filters, no doubt.
Complete agreement that 99% of CAI are un-researched/developed POS.
      02-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #13
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
As a heads up to AA, most of us who have a stock box are not using the US intake anymore. We are using the euro which has a different filter.

+1
We want to see Green colored Euro box spec filters. Especially DRY

I think AFE dry Euro spec is very well done. I'd love to have a Green Filter as a back up/ cyclical.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #14
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
+1

I think AFE dry Euro spec is very well done. I'd love to have a Green Filter as a back up/ cyclical.
+1
      02-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #15
Dafttt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
+1

+3

In for the Euro box filter!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #16
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Lol well to be honest with you, we can't really do anything about the hot summer temperatures here. Several runs resulted in 120rwkw compared to a friends bone stock e92 325i which ran 124rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Single dyno pull also does not do much to account for heatsoak.
Dyno'd 5 times with open bonnet and fan, which is why i'm so convinced the intake is all bs lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:05 AM   #17
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousgook;*****354
Lol well to be honest with you, we can't really do anything about the hot summer temperatures here. Several runs resulted in 120rwkw compared to a friends bone stock e92 325i which ran 124rwkw.

Dyno'd 5 times with open bonnet and fan, which is why i'm so convinced the intake is all bs lol.
Exactly.
      02-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #18
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
I was gonna say the same. Euro filter please!
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #19
Da_Meister_22
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
I was gonna say the same. Euro filter please!
I can chime in...but no promises. lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #20
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Can't you guys just slap a K&N filter inside the euro box and call it a day? They make good filters
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #21
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobeballer96 View Post
Can't you guys just slap a K&N filter inside the euro box and call it a day? They make good filters
Yes you can. I did. But I still want the green filter lol.
      02-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #22
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister_1 View Post
Yes you can. I did. But I still want the green filter lol.
Lol oh gees, I'm going to slap you when I see you this summer, less then 90 days lmao.
Appreciate 0