BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i M-Sport coupe

Bridgestone RE980 AS

Anyone else try these yet? On my 128i, I'm running 225/45-17 on 8 x 17" wheels, having decided to sell the style 182 with 215/40 and 245/35-18 Pilot AS 3.

Going 'square' should provide better tire life expectancy, and going to 17" should provide a little better ride quality. I'm quite surprised by the dry grip of these considering I've driven less than 200 miles so far. More interesting is that the rear suspension 'rubber banding' under acceleration with some rotation is gone. Maybe I'm not being as aggressive with these as with the well-worn Pilot AS3 tires, but the confidence factor is quite a bit higher. I haven't driven in rain yet, but the tires have very high ratings for wet adhesion according to Tire Rack.

I was planning to replace the RTABs with M3 bits, but now I wonder if I need to. Seriously. I already am riding with M3 suspension arms/tension rods front and rear, BMW Perf Brake kit, wave-trac lsd (useless unless at least the dsc is off?), larger front and rear sway bars, and the 3-stage intake with BPC software.

With 4/32" of tread, the Pilot A/S 3s are less than impressive in the wet (well, duh!) but surprising to me not very grippy on dry pavement for being 'near slicks' (as F1 used to say, grooved tires?).

Just curious if anyone else is trying these!

Last edited by MAMSport; 05-13-2018 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: spell correction
Appreciate 0