BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #67
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
I can't tell if you are being serious or trolling. Tell you what since you make over 400whp supposedly, go to the dragstrip and tell me what you trap. Since JB4 makes so much more power up top, you should have no problem trapping a lot more than 118-119mph.
Im not supposedly making over 400whp, search my threads from 2008 and you'll find dynos. Or if you really like I'll PM them if you ask.

Theres no dragstrip in SoCal, plus I dont goto the strip often to be able to trap your suggested a lot more than 118mph

Edit:

Last edited by SfValley335i; 02-01-2013 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #68
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
so you use cobb. Running a custom tune built by Terry to work best with the jb4.

Please tell me why it is okay for you/Terry to use cobb to create a custom map, but the the guy that buys cobb and uses it without a jb4 is a brand whore?

Especially since it looks like stage 2+ aggressive beats the canned jb4 maps and is only down ~6hp when custom map 6 is used.

Seems like you were proven wrong with the TOP END power comment and now mentioning the brand whore comment... I'll choose to walk away from answering the latter...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #69
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
You quoted the "stage 2" picture. If you look 1 set of pictures down, you will see that "stage 2+" makes more power than the JB4 map2.

Don't give me this "but cobbs stage 2 is better than JB4 stage2" because "stage" is all bullshit. You have no idea of the targets or intentions of each stage. On the exact same car, stage2+ made more power than the JB4 did. Period.

And Map6 is a custom tuning map. Which in my eyes is the equivalent of a "pro tune" on Cobb.

You're comparing map6 to a real tuning software thats used to protune cars? haha Thats a good laugh!

You obviously dont know what your talking about.
I'm not saying they are equal. What I am saying is the Map6 requires user inputs and targets. It's not just an "OTS map" like the map1&2 are as well as the stg1,2 and their variants are. You still aren't denying that Stg2+ aggressive makes more power than any OTS JB4 map makes.

I still don't see what your dog in this fight is.
      02-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #70
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
Im not supposedly making over 400whp, search my threads from 2008 and you'll find dynos. Or if you really like I'll PM them if you ask.

Theres no dragstrip in SoCal, plus I dont goto the strip often to be able to trap your suggested a lot more than 118mph
Nice, a dyno without a baseline...useless.

I am sure there is a dragstrip nearby even if its in NorCal, otherwise Terry, Hodrod and others wouldn't be able to set some records coming out of California. You don't even have to go often to trap 118 or more, as that is purely dependent on your cars ability to accelerate. Your ET is purely dependent on the driver, but that is not what we are talking about here.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #71
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
I'm not saying they are equal. What I am saying is the Map6 requires user inputs and targets. It's not just an "OTS map" like the map1&2 are as well as the stg1,2 and their variants are. You still aren't denying that Stg2+ aggressive makes more power than any OTS JB4 map makes.

I still don't see what your dog in this fight is.

Map6 does not REQUIRE anything, it has default values, and if you wish you can change them.

My "dog" in this fight is that JB4 makes more TOP END POWER (High RPM) than Cobb OTS.

Yet you and the others keep running around in circles...

I think my job here is done, proved my point with data.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #72
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
JB4 makes more TOP END POWER (High RPM) than Cobb OTS.

No.

And even if Map6 has "default" values, there is nothing stated about what the settings used in the Map6 pulls. One cannot simply assume that they are unchanged. And even at the top of the post, it states testing of "more aggressive" settings.

Winrar.
      02-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #73
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
Nice, a dyno without a baseline...useless.

I am sure there is a dragstrip nearby even if its in NorCal, otherwise Terry, Hodrod and others wouldn't be able to set some records coming out of California. You don't even have to go often to trap 118 or more, as that is purely dependent on your cars ability to accelerate. Your ET is purely dependent on the driver, but that is not what we are talking about here.
hahaha who said theres no baseline? I'm not new here... I've been around before Jb4 got started. Ive ran pretty much all tunes from Shiv's Xede to JB4 G5, I know what I'm talking about.

Yes NorCal strip is 6 hours away. Terry makes the trip to test his products and make money. Hotrod loves to drag...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #74
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #75
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:

No.

And even if Map6 has "default" values, there is nothing stated about what the settings used in the Map6 pulls. One cannot simply assume that they are unchanged. And even at the top of the post, it states testing of "more aggressive" settings.

Winrar.

Great job comparing Map2 which requires downpipes and 93oct vs Stg2+ aggr, which requires downpipes, intake, 93oct and upgraded intercooler!

You should've just compared the JB4 map 8 vs the Stg2+ aggressive to prove me wrong.

This is beginning to get annoying, have a great weekend.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #76
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

If you read through the thread, it clearly states that the vehicle used is intake+cp-e DPs with OEM intercooler. So yes, Stg2+ makes more power than any OTS jb4 map. Sucka.
      02-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #77
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Seems like you were proven wrong with the TOP END power comment and now mentioning the brand whore comment... I'll choose to walk away from answering the latter...
Proven wrong? Are you even paying attention to what you are reading in this thread? Not once did I say you were wrong about top end power. I don't care who makes more power. Hell, I have a jb4.

And, I am just now mentioning the brand whore comment? That has been my main point of contention with you this entire thread.

Here is a recap for you:

here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=31

Quote:
jb4 is great, but you are a brand whore if you go with a flash tune vs. a piggyback? Give me a break.

Not saying it hasn't happened, but I haven't heard of a single car getting bricked while installing Cobb - the fact that you were so terrified about it is irrelevant.

The fact that Terry now sells the Cobb unit and has a cobb map to support the jb4 speaks volumes.
and here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=38

Quote:
Not really misleading. My response was to someone saying if you want power go jb4, if you are brand whore go cobb.

The fact is, in big horsepower setups, Terry is now using his cobb map to deal with fueling issues (among other things) that cannot be addressed with the jb4 alone.

So saying to go jb4 (and, by extension, not cobb) if you want power is silly at best.
and here, where I even add the comment of how I started this whole 'discussion' within the thread because of the or brand whore comment:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=55

Quote:
Really this 'discussion' started with your asinine comment stating: "if you want power get JB4, if your a brand whore get cobb".

Even if jb4 makes more peak hp (which is what I think you mean when you say 'top end'), it is still an especially silly comment given Terry is now selling the cobb unit and has created his own map to help deal with fueling issues and such for higher hp applications.
Oh and look, here as well - and the only one you seemed to pick up on:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=64

Quote:
so you use cobb. Running a custom tune built by Terry to work best with the jb4.

Please tell me why it is okay for you/Terry to use cobb to create a custom map, but the the guy that buys cobb and uses it without a jb4 is a brand whore?

Especially since it looks like stage 2+ aggressive beats the canned jb4 maps and is only down ~6hp when custom map 6 is used.
The comment is particularly amusing now that we learn you are actually using cobb as well.

So again: please tell me why it is okay for you/Terry to use cobb to create a custom map, but the the guy that buys cobb and uses it without a jb4 is a brand whore?

Last edited by foghat; 02-01-2013 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #78
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
If you read through the thread, it clearly states that the vehicle used is intake+cp-e DPs with OEM intercooler. So yes, Stg2+ makes more power than any OTS jb4 map. Sucka.
Map 2 runs 14.5psi. JB4 autotuning map 5 can go up to 17.5psi if conditions allow. Those dynos were on an old G4 board anyway. Not exactly comparable to the new G5 ISO stuff. But even so, as I said before, you can tune both to make the same power. It's all in the settings used.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #79
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com
Quote:
Map 2 runs 14.5psi. JB4 autotuning map 5 can go up to 17.5psi if conditions allow. Those dynos were on an old G4 board anyway. Not exactly comparable to the new G5 ISO stuff. But even so, as I said before, you can tune both to make the same power. It's all in the settings used.

Mike
thank you for this post!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #80
mikead_99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SMG 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post

Mike
Nice post. Pretty funny the way SfValley335i wants to call Cobb users brand whores but then comes off as the best example I've ever seen of a brand whore myself . All respect to Terry and all he does for the community, but his product, as good as it is, is still just one good choice among many.

To OP, I've had both myself. I took out JB4 last September in prep for a dealer visit and put Cobb in afterwards. I am completely happy with Cobb, I think with the OTS, race, and E85 maps available along with ATR for user tweaks it is a very nice setup that suits my needs. Overall it just comes down to features. You get a mix of control between both, the one thing I do miss from JB is the 1st and 2nd gear boost limits, but still like what I have now. In my opinion Cobb has seemed more consitant pull to pull, with my last JB comparison being maps from last August. You asked about DP's adding power to Cobb, they will help, but really need those and FMIC to be able to run the best maps from Cobb. Stage 2+ aggressive is pretty impressive without any tweaking, but there is room for users to pull more out of it if they want with ATR.
      02-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #81
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikead_99 View Post
Nice post. Pretty funny the way SfValley335i wants to call Cobb users brand whores but then comes off as the best example I've ever seen of a brand whore myself . All respect to Terry and all he does for the community, but his product, as good as it is, is still just one good choice among many.

I didnt call COBB USERS brand whores. I did say IF youre a brand whore then get COBB.

Nice try at twisting my words.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #82
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
note to CA NV AZ users of COBB OTS maps: their OTS maps for 91 were designed with TEXAS 91 which is way better than our ACN91. i highly recommend going in to have your car pro tuned to make adjustment to the OTS maps and our camel piss gas. it runs so much better pro tuned, its really worth the extra time and money
Appreciate 0