BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #1
craio11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

cruise control not functioning help

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. I am currently at a loss as to what to do about the issue I am having. Recently purchased a 2010 135i it has basic boltons one of wich is a mystery tune of some sort. When I picked up the car the cruise control does not function in any way. I read that this was an issue with some early tunes. Is there any way to restore the cruise control function without having to go to bmw? If i were to purchase a different tuner i.e a jb4 would that be able to correct the issue at all?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
Tiron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I have self-tuned my 09 135 with MHD, and for fun I tried flashing a 335 PPK file to my car, which broke my cruise control. Returning to my original file fixed it. I've owned a 335 before and the cruise worked a little different, it could apply the brakes on its own for example (which it can't seem to do in my 135).

I think its just a flag in the tune somewhere but I did not spend the time to track it down.

If you plan on going with MHD, you could email them and ask if they have the capability to recover your vehicle to a stock file? Maybe their OTS maps are based on the stock file and would fix it as well, I've never used their OTS stuff.

I'm sure the dealer could get you flashed back to stock as well. After you were flashed to stock, you could go with any tuner you like.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #3
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiron View Post
I have self-tuned my 09 135 with MHD, and for fun I tried flashing a 335 PPK file to my car, which broke my cruise control. Returning to my original file fixed it. I've owned a 335 before and the cruise worked a little different, it could apply the brakes on its own for example (which it can't seem to do in my 135).

I think its just a flag in the tune somewhere but I did not spend the time to track it down.

If you plan on going with MHD, you could email them and ask if they have the capability to recover your vehicle to a stock file? Maybe their OTS maps are based on the stock file and would fix it as well, I've never used their OTS stuff.

I'm sure the dealer could get you flashed back to stock as well. After you were flashed to stock, you could go with any tuner you like.

The 335 (E9x) had optional 'Adaptive Cruise Control' that the 135 (E8x) did not get.

MHD is the most cost effective tune option for most.
With it and the correct purchased options you can flash back to a stock tune, even if the car has a tune on it. The software will look for the most current stock tune and flash it to the car. I'm told, have not used it myself.

Also with MHD you'll be able to scan for codes, which may point to a problem you don't yet know of within the cruise system.

And just off hand, does the 3rd brake light work?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #4
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

If you check you might have a dme code with the description "missing coding"

I bought my 135i with a cobb tune but had to overwrite that installation with my own accessport and lost cruise control as a result. Something about not having the original bin that car came with. I installed an MHD flash tune and to my surprise cruise control came back. There's an explanation somewhere for this. A piggyback jb4 tuner will not fix this
      02-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #5
quick99si
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82

This is a known issue on 135i. It will take some time to get CC back but it's a fairly straightforward process. There are a few ways you could go with this, from stock flash, to backend, to full flash. I can do them all, including street tune, if you're near Chicago.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
Tiron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
The 335 (E9x) had optional 'Adaptive Cruise Control' that the 135 (E8x) did not get.

MHD is the most cost effective tune option for most.
With it and the correct purchased options you can flash back to a stock tune, even if the car has a tune on it. The software will look for the most current stock tune and flash it to the car. I'm told, have not used it myself.

Also with MHD you'll be able to scan for codes, which may point to a problem you don't yet know of within the cruise system.

And just off hand, does the 3rd brake light work?
I do not think my 335 had adaptive cruise control, I set a speed and it stayed there -- no distance control. But, it would apply the brakes automatically if I was going downhill or if I pulled the coast lever to the 2nd detent. The 135 does not have this second detent, and does not brake on hills. It feels like the base cruise control system is different between the cars, and the tune bin needs to reflect this somehow.
Appreciate 0