BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #1
superawesomemegakittens
Rep
Drives: M2C deposit down

Retroactive removal of iDrive

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buying a 1'er, and the one I'm looking at in particular has an iDrive system. Normally I'd wait until a car without the iDrive pops up, but this one has the same mods I'd be doing anyway at a reasonable price. The iDrive is just about the only thing I'd change.

I don't have much love for or long term faith in the iDrive system, and wanted to ask if anyone knows if this can be retroactively removed? My thoughts are that I'd run it until it fails and then remove the whole thing. Could this be cone with only changing the headunit and middle column trim (I wouldn't bother with the dash trim), is there anything else that would make this more or less impossible?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 03:16 AM   #2
Duesentrieb
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: E81 116i, F31 LCI 320d

It depends on what you will install afterwards. Normally only the nav will fit at this position. E.g. you'd like to install the radio professional it probably will not fit. And you can't find a trim where the climate control is on top and the radio is below.
So normally you have to change the dashboard.

You also have to deal with some electronics: e.g. you have to disconnect the MOST bus.
And of course it has to be coded properly.

Greetings Daniel
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #3
niceast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e82

I am looking to do the same thing.
I thinking about replacing the idrive system for a android touch screen unit located here the climate controls. Then replacing the idrive screen with a upgrade resolution and touch screen to link as a secondary screen to the android touch screen unit.

The upper screen would be great for passive usage maybe to monitor JB4 or MHD gauges, play dvds, Navigation, dash cam, reverse cam.
The lower screen would used for music.
Pretty far reach idea tho.

xtron PB7681BAP

specs look good
64Bit Octa Core CPU Processor @1.5GHz; 2G RAM; 32G ROM (could use more RAM)
Android 6.0 Marshmallow (maybe need to be update to android 7?)
1024*600 (probably could use a high resolution screen)

modifications to the AC unit looks simple enough with filling edges.

Below from another thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1371480
The google video link shows a xtron stereo unit working well with the e82 and JB4
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
*sigh

That's because the radio for the 1er sits on top of the dash while the 3er radio is flush.

1er radio:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qky...geIvkLYLg/view
Different product but similar.
The multi function steering/heated seats works well with CANbus decoding.
The Eonon GA7165

Last edited by niceast; 08-16-2017 at 02:41 AM..
Appreciate 0